Giving oral URI medication troubles

CRYPTICCHAOS

My Chameleon has been in the process of treatment for an URI. (Since May 23rd)

I'm struggling giving the oral medication.
(The vet prescribed doxycycline)

She's really stubborn when it comes to the oral medication, I ever so carefully can get her mouth to open for a split second before she closes. Yesterday she closed suddenly and some liquid was noticed coming out of her nostrils.

I'm trying really hard to not get any in the airway in the front of her mouth. She's worrying me sick that I'm not getting the full amount of the medication in her for her to get better. (I'm beating myself up too after that whole incident) It's almost been a week and I just want my little Zen to get better. I gave her medication today and saw it go towards the back of her throat and she's keeps whistling now woloth her head up like before. Is this her way of feeling the uncomfortable medication down her throat or is it something like yesterday. (I do not see any liquid coming out of her nose like yesterday)

(Btw Zen is a female and about 5 months old)

Attachments

• 20220529_122220.jpg
    20220529_122220.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 72
Often if you can get the chameleon to drink from a dripper, you can EASE the medication in while they're drinking and I think it helps because they are already drinking and swallowing so the meds go down easier.

Often if you can get the chameleon to drink from a dripper, you can EASE the medication in while they're drinking and I think it helps because they are already drinking and swallowing so the meds go down easier.
I flipped the enclosure and I'm making an ICU until her Wednesday vet appointment. I noticed what seemed to be some vomit on a leaf in her enclosure. I don't want her growing weak overnight and falling :T

If she's eating you can inject the meds into an insect and make sure she eats it.

When you're trying to give them something syrupy, it's hard for them to swallow it for some reason...so the methods of injecting the insect or getting her to take it while she's drinking help.

If she's eating you can inject the meds into an insect and make sure she eats it.

When you're trying to give them something syrupy, it's hard for them to swallow it for some reason...so the methods of injecting the insect or getting her to take it while she's drinking help.
I'll definitely try the insect thing tomorrow. Thank you so much for your help <3

Back
Top Bottom