Alternative to Crickets

ashmichaelson

Hey there,
I have a seven month old (I think) female veiled chameleon, and I'm from southeast Idaho. It's a pretty isolated community, so the only place I'm able to get crickets on a regular basis is a Petco that's a 30-45 minute drive away from my home. The winters here are really harsh, so a lot of the time in the winter I go to get crickets and they're all froze to death. Because of this, I've been forced to feed my Pascal just mealworms and superworms because they're the only feeders that are alive by the time they get to the store. I also tried ordering them online and the same thing happened. I know this isn't ideal for the complete health of a chameleon, but it was either this or let her starve. I also fed her fruits and veggies.
So my question: Is there another way for a chameleon to get a well rounded diet besides with crickets? She's fine and active, but I don't want to risk any malnutrition next year. All suggestions are welcome!!

You could breed your own crickets, roaches, silkworms, and hornworms. All are pretty easy and that's part of the fun of keeping chameleons. (Check your state and federal laws regarding roaches). I breed all my own feeders and rarely have to order or buy any, and with only one chameleon it shouldn't be too difficult for you. The other plus is the insects are well fed and full of nutrition. All my feeders are larger and healthier than any I purchase. There is plenty of info on feeder insects on this site and others. Good luck!

Roaches are far easier to breed than crickets, but it depends on whether your chameleon will eat them/recognize them as food or not. Both my chameleons relish my roaches. But veileds can be more picky from my experience. A Dubia Roach colony just needs good food, and heat, preferably darkness, so I just use a rubber maid bin, and lots of eggcrates. They can't escape as long as they have a lid with screening. And there are specific ways to make cleaning easier. Such as putting screening into the bottom of your container and putting that container inside a similar container. They are great feeders, easy to breed once you get them breeding, and easy to gutload. I would suggest getting some small ones to try out first before you get adults to start a colony. They can't fly and usually with the heat don't survive well outside their enclosure.

You could breed your own crickets, roaches, silkworms, and hornworms. All are pretty easy and that's part of the fun of keeping chameleons. (Check your state and federal laws regarding roaches). I breed all my own feeders and rarely have to order or buy any, and with only one chameleon it shouldn't be too difficult for you. The other plus is the insects are well fed and full of nutrition. All my feeders are larger and healthier than any I purchase. There is plenty of info on feeder insects on this site and others. Good luck!
That's definitely something I'll consider. Thanks so much! :)

Roaches are far easier to breed than crickets, but it depends on whether your chameleon will eat them/recognize them as food or not. Both my chameleons relish my roaches. But veileds can be more picky from my experience. A Dubia Roach colony just needs good food, and heat, preferably darkness, so I just use a rubber maid bin, and lots of eggcrates. They can't escape as long as they have a lid with screening. And there are specific ways to make cleaning easier. Such as putting screening into the bottom of your container and putting that container inside a similar container. They are great feeders, easy to breed once you get them breeding, and easy to gutload. I would suggest getting some small ones to try out first before you get adults to start a colony. They can't fly and usually with the heat don't survive well outside their enclosure.
Yeah, I've never tried to feed her roaches before, mainly just because roaches gross me out. (I lived in China for six months and a freaking huge roach lived underneath my bed for a little while haha) But if they're easy to keep and breed, it's worth a try! Maybe I'll start by going and buying a few to see if Pascal will actually eat them. If she does, then I'll set up a big Rubber Maid and start a little project. Thanks so much for your input! :)

You can also buy cricket breeding kits. I bought one online from big apple herp for like 10 dollars. It comes with everything you need except crickets. I have not used it yet but it sounds pretty easy.

You can also buy cricket breeding kits. I bought one online from big apple herp for like 10 dollars. It comes with everything you need except crickets. I have not used it yet but it sounds pretty easy.
You might have to let me know how yours goes, the idea of a breeding starter kit sounds interesting and well worth the money. Thanks so much for your input! :D

Just remember when you start breeding crickets that they smell A LOT and so clean them on a regular basis or they will smell worse and die off quicker because of the gasses they release.

Screw breeding crickets they smell terrible, just order your bugs from @nick barta throw a couple heat packs in there and order when the winter days aren't below zero. I'm from Chicago j feel your pain, well kind of, there's a couple pet stores within walking distance from my house... But I get it

I personally agree with Alexander on the cricket idea. I would never breed crickets because of the smell and they are just terrible insects in general compared to roaches. I view them now as an enrichment feeder for my babies. I only feed them maybe once or twice a week and never breed them. I breed two different kinds of roaches as my main staples, and then have all my worms. I am in the process of breeding silkworms again. I also used to breed stick insects for my panther. Which I plan on getting soon again too. I also got in the process of breeding grasshoppers once. Had a little bit of success but it didn't go far.

I personally agree with Alexander on the cricket idea. I would never breed crickets because of the smell and they are just terrible insects in general compared to roaches. I view them now as an enrichment feeder for my babies. I only feed them maybe once or twice a week and never breed them. I breed two different kinds of roaches as my main staples, and then have all my worms. I am in the process of breeding silkworms again. I also used to breed stick insects for my panther. Which I plan on getting soon again too. I also got in the process of breeding grasshoppers once. Had a little bit of success but it didn't go far.
Man I've been looking for grasshoppers everywhere! I live in a big city so I won't use the local wild ones, they're full of pollutants like Budweiser, southern comfort and heroin.. Anyway if you grow any and are willing to sell me then please wot me know

I don't think they are legal to ship across state lines. If you live in California I could probably do it. But that's once I have a good breeding colony up and going. I still have to figure out how to do it correctly. I got a couple females to lay eggs last time, but the eggs didn't hatch. I think I should've put them in a diapause before trying to hatch them. All my adults died out, and hadn't laid any eggs since the first batch. I feed them on a diet of wheat bran and growing wheat grass. I also planned on growing some other grasses to feed them. I had a low I think 25-40 watt house bulb on them. I misted the plants once a day to keep them growing for as long as possible and give the grasshoppers moisture. I only catch them during late spring through summer. So I am waiting for a good time to head out again.

Always get feeders with the gutloading ability in them,cause what ur cham taking in their body all depending on what ur feeder eats then be eaten.

Back
Top Bottom