Aloura my female piebald veiled chameleon

lauren_murphy

Aloura my female piebald veiled chameleon

Attachments

• 991818CB-544C-4781-A751-4B82236A37F8.jpeg
    991818CB-544C-4781-A751-4B82236A37F8.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 160
She is very cute!

Your enclosure in the back ground.. I can see a couple things that need to be changed. Could you fill out this form for me when you get the chance?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

She is very cute!

Your enclosure in the back ground.. I can see a couple things that need to be changed. Could you fill out this form for me when you get the chance?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? She’s a female piebald veiled chameleon and i regimes her from someone who was moving and couldn’t keep her, shes 4 months and i’ve had her for about a week.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? after i got her i let her calm down for a few days since she was moved around and in a car and i hand feed her so she is getting used to me. i’ve taken her out a few times but it’s never more than once a day and i let her climb on some of the house plants. and i let her come to me i don’t forcefully grab her
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? i’ve been feeding her anywhere from 5-10 crickets a day and a few dubia roaches. i need suggestions and information on guy loading
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? i’ve been using zoo med repticalcium with d3 about twice a week
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? i have a dripper that drips onto a certain plant and that’s where she nroanlly drinks from, i most her enclosure about 5 times a day until all the leaves have water drops on them and at night i do a lot of misting before she sleeps.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? It’s a dark brown and it’s not super hard and not runny and from what i’ve read it looks normal and her pee is white and also normal. she has not been tested but i make sure to look at her dropping to make sure there isn’t anything that shouldn’t be there
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? it’s a screen cage and it’s 20x20x30 and i’m looking into getting a bigger cage soon when i have the money
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?her heat bulb is a zoo med 60 watt and i’m not sure abt the uvb. they’re a dual lighting thing bc that’s what the previous owner gave me. i’m saving up right now to get the longer uvb and is my heat bulb wattage too high or low?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? the basking spot is as about 85 and the lower end of the cage is around 76. at night it gets around the high 60s and low 70s. i’ve used a heat gun
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? i don’t have anything to measure humidity but on my list of things i need to get us a temp and humidity gauge, her cage is very well misted
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? no but once stores open back up again i’m planning on getting some
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? it’s close to the fan on the ceiling but the fan typically isn’t on and it’s not a high traffic area, it’s on my bedroom dresser and the top of the cage is at abt 6 ft high
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? pittsburgh pennsylvania

also just a note the cage in the pic looks small but it’s bigger in person
--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
image.jpg

For example, your lighting is inadequate for a chameleon. Fill out the form if you happen to have time, it could only help. It is for your pet's health and your peace of mind. ?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? She’s a female piebald veiled chameleon and i regimes her from someone who was moving and couldn’t keep her, shes 4 months and i’ve had her for about a week.
She looks a bit older than 4 months.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? after i got her i let her calm down for a few days since she was moved around and in a car and i hand feed her so she is getting used to me. i’ve taken her out a few times but it’s never more than once a day and i let her climb on some of the house plants. and i let her come to me i don’t forcefully grab her
I would try to avoid handling, just for a little while. You could try hand feeding, though. great way to build trust.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? i’ve been feeding her anywhere from 5-10 crickets a day and a few dubia roaches. i need suggestions and information on guy loading
I would feed her as much as she wants as of now.. we can get into putting her back on food when she gets to that age. Females normally are cut back on food and have their basking temps lowered at around 5-6 months of age.

For gutloading you want to use a mix of leafy greens, veggies, and fruits. Along with a commercial gutload of some sort, such as bug burger or cricket crack. I will post a food and gutloading sheet at the end.

• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? i’ve been using zoo med repticalcium with d3 about twice a week
Okay so stop doing that. You are going to need a calcium with d3 (which you have), and calcium without d3, and a multivitamin (I use reptivite) without d3. D3 should only be even 2 times a month, though if you get into the specifics it can vary.

Dusting schedule:

Calcium w/o d3 every day/feeding.
Calcium w/d3 once every other week.
Multivitamin w/o d3 once every other week.

Alternate the multivitamin w/o and the calcium w/d3. One week has a a day dusted with d3, the next week has a day dusted with multivitamin, so on and so forth.

• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? i have a dripper that drips onto a certain plant and that’s where she nroanlly drinks from, i most her enclosure about 5 times a day until all the leaves have water drops on them and at night i do a lot of misting before she sleeps.
I would mist in the morning for 2-4 minutes, and then in the evening for 2-4 minutes. Then run the dripper throughout the day. I would really really really recommend getting an automatic misting system, and some timers for your lights. My uvb comes on first, then I mist, then my basking light comes on after the misting. And then in the evening my basking light goes off, then I mist, then my uvb light goes off.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? It’s a dark brown and it’s not super hard and not runny and from what i’ve read it looks normal and her pee is white and also normal. she has not been tested but i make sure to look at her dropping to make sure there isn’t anything that shouldn’t be there
Poop can look normal, and the chameleon can still have parasite. I would get a fecal test as soon as you can.. I know most people do not want to be out and about.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? it’s a screen cage and it’s 20x20x30 and i’m looking into getting a bigger cage soon when i have the money
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?her heat bulb is a zoo med 60 watt and i’m not sure abt the uvb. they’re a dual lighting thing bc that’s what the previous owner gave me. i’m saving up right now to get the longer uvb and is my heat bulb wattage too high or low?
Okay so for a heating bulb you can just grab a 60-70 watt household bulb. For uvb you will need a 5.0 reptisun T5HO bulb (or an Arcadia 6% t5HO).. long enough to run the length of your enclosure.

The basking branch should be around 10-12 inches away from your lights.

• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? the basking spot is as about 85 and the lower end of the cage is around 76. at night it gets around the high 60s and low 70s. i’ve used a heat gun
I would keep the basking spot at around 82-83.

That ambient temp is fine, as long as it doesn't get below 55.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? i don’t have anything to measure humidity but on my list of things i need to get us a temp and humidity gauge, her cage is very well misted
For when you get a hygrometer, daytime humidity should be around 30-40. Nighttime should be around 80-100. Nighttime humidity can be achieved by wrapping the sides of the cage with a shower curtain, and using a fogger for the majority of the night.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? no
She is a veiled. Veiled chameleon are notorious for eating plants. You dont not want her to eat a fake plant. I would grab some live plants for her, and throw out the fake ones. Some branchy live plants would be a schefflera, hibiscus (though you would need a pretty darn powerful grow light to keep one alive), ficus (benjamina). Pothos is very popular too.

I would also go outside and find some nice sticks.. dont use anything that comes from a tree with sap. Wash the sticks with a bit of soap. I would pour boiling water over the sticks, and then cold water over them a couple times aswell. Place them horizontally in the cage all over to create perches for your chameleon to climb on.

• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? it’s close to the fan on the ceiling but the fan typically isn’t on and it’s not a high traffic area, it’s on my bedroom dresser and the top of the cage is at abt 6 ft high

--------------

Please Note:

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 6.55.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 6.55.10 PM.png

Let me know if you have questions/if I missed something.

Chameleon Info:
She looks a bit older than 4 months.
I would try to avoid handling, just for a little while. You could try hand feeding, though. great way to build trust.
I would feed her as much as she wants as of now.. we can get into putting her back on food when she gets to that age. Females normally are cut back on food and have their basking temps lowered at around 5-6 months of age.

For gutloading you want to use a mix of leafy greens, veggies, and fruits. Along with a commercial gutload of some sort, such as bug burger or cricket crack. I will post a food and gutloading sheet at the end.

Okay so stop doing that. You are going to need a calcium with d3 (which you have), and calcium without d3, and a multivitamin (I use reptivite) without d3. D3 should only be even 2 times a month, though if you get into the specifics it can vary.

Dusting schedule:

Calcium w/o d3 every day/feeding.
Calcium w/d3 once every other week.
Multivitamin w/o d3 once every other week.

Alternate the multivitamin w/o and the calcium w/d3. One week has a a day dusted with d3, the next week has a day dusted with multivitamin, so on and so forth.

I would mist in the morning for 2-4 minutes, and then in the evening for 2-4 minutes. Then run the dripper throughout the day. I would really really really recommend getting an automatic misting system, and some timers for your lights. My uvb comes on first, then I mist, then my basking light comes on after the misting. And then in the evening my basking light goes off, then I mist, then my uvb light goes off.
Poop can look normal, and the chameleon can still have parasite. I would get a fecal test as soon as you can.. I know most people do not want to be out and about.

Cage Info:
Okay so for a heating bulb you can just grab a 60-70 watt household bulb. For uvb you will need a 5.0 reptisun T5HO bulb (or an Arcadia 6% t5HO).. long enough to run the length of your enclosure.

The basking branch should be around 10-12 inches away from your lights.

I would keep the basking spot at around 82-83.

That ambient temp is fine, as long as it doesn't get below 55.
For when you get a hygrometer, daytime humidity should be around 30-40. Nighttime should be around 80-100. Nighttime humidity can be achieved by wrapping the sides of the cage with a shower curtain, and using a fogger for the majority of the night.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? no
She is a veiled. Veiled chameleon are notorious for eating plants. You dont not want her to eat a fake plant. I would grab some live plants for her, and throw out the fake ones. Some branchy live plants would be a schefflera, hibiscus (though you would need a pretty darn powerful grow light to keep one alive), ficus (benjamina). Pothos is very popular too.

I would also go outside and find some nice sticks.. dont use anything that comes from a tree with sap. Wash the sticks with a bit of soap. I would pour boiling water over the sticks, and then cold water over them a couple times aswell. Place them horizontally in the cage all over to create perches for your chameleon to climb on.

--------------

Please Note:

View attachment 263845View attachment 263846

Let me know if you have questions/if I missed something.
thank you so much, i knew a few of the changes i needed to make but you have me lots of very helpful information!

No problem.. just make the changes as soon as you can. I know it may be difficult because of the current situation. Some of the things you need to get can be ordered online.

No problem.. just make the changes as soon as you can. I know it may be difficult because of the current situation. Some of the things you need to get can be ordered online.
i’ve been saving money since i got her to make the changes, i plan on going out tmr to get stuff ?

Great!

I was mainly meaning that some people may not want to go out (or aren't allowed to go out) because of the virus.

Back
Top Bottom