Allergic to Chameleons

Ladybones

My 22 year old son has been telling me he thinks he is allergic to Randall, every time he is near the cage he gets sneezy and watery eyes, i was thinking well we are in Texas and the allergies around here are just crazy and put it off to spring cleaning and such.

Well he is not one to hold Randall that much and today he decided that he wanted to hold him. So he opens the cage and Randall get's on his hand and starts his usual arm climbing, he held him for about 5 minutes to not stress him out. Well soon after putting Randall back, My son's arms turned red with little bumps all over it that were really itchy :eek: I guess he was right he is allergic to Randall ha ha. Has anyone ever heard that before?

I thought perhaps the plants could be the problem. Did your son have bare arms? I know that when Popeye walks on bare skin his nails cause small raised areas. Just some thoughts.:D

Hi,
I get slight skin allergy when my chams climb on me, but never when I'm near their cages. I don't think it's possible to be allergic to chams that way. Do you keep the cage clean?

That's what is weird, I always keep the cage very clean LOL and the bumps were not little they were pretty big and very red. He was like thank goodness I didn't let him climb up to my head lol Nobody else has a problem holding him lol

It is either the plants in the cage.. or the plant sin the cage.

The red bumps happen to alot of people.

Whenever I hold my female veiled i get the little red bumps form her nails.. but when i hold my other three, i dont.

his skin may just be sensitive to the nails, and that causes the breakout.

and the watery eyes are probably from the plants or the extra humidity.

Sneezing could also be caused from cricket poo in the cage. Ive heard alot of ppl are allergic to cricket feces. I clean all my cricket bins outside with a water hose to keep from inhaling any feces when doing my bin cleaning.

I'd agree with either the plants, possibly molds or other stuff in the potting soil, possibly the crickets, or maybe something as simple as dust buildup on the cage and lights set on top, rather than the cham itself. Chams don't produce dander which is the root of many people's allergies to other pets.

I would agree with the allergy to cricket poo. If you are feeding roaches that could be a source of allergies also.

I've never heard of someone having an allergy of that type to a reptile.

Very interesting. Definitely keep us posted if you find the cause/trigger.

Check this out: http://www.aaaai.org/ask-the-expert/Possible-allergic-reaction-to-a-reptile.aspx

There is a case study included showing a person who definitely had an allergy to his Iguanas. It looks like it IS possible at least to be allergic to a reptile including the symptoms described.

I would still want to rule out dust or other possibly allergens that are introduced with the Cham including soils, plants, molds etc as mentioned above as they are likely mch more common allergens.

... lean something new everyday; I had thought reptiles were hypoallergenic!

Check this out: http://www.aaaai.org/ask-the-expert/Possible-allergic-reaction-to-a-reptile.aspx

There is a case study included showing a person who definitely had an allergy to his Iguanas. It looks like it IS possible at least to be allergic to a reptile including the symptoms described.

I would still want to rule out dust or other possibly allergens that are introduced with the Cham including soils, plants, molds etc as mentioned above as they are likely mch more common allergens.

... lean something new everyday; I had thought reptiles were hypoallergenic!

I suspect as much myself........looks like maybe Ladybones boy is hypersensitive to whatever Randall is........

Yes it's possible but I believe he has more of a sensitive skin rather than an allergy. Everytime I handle my pets such as my geckos the parts where the nails 'scratch' the skin leaves red extremely itchy bumps as well! If its an allergy he'll prolly get sick but the itch stops after awhile m I right? I got the same
Problem just gets some getting use to for the love of animals! Hope this helped!

I am allergic to pretty much everything. I am not allergic to the chameleons, but I am allergic to the crickets and roaches, and my allergy to the silkworm chow is unbearable. I am also allergic to mold spores, which will be plentiful anywhere where you have high humidity. So it may not be the chameleon, but there are plenty of things that the chameleon comes in contact with that may be causing issues.

Thanks Everyone, I have to rule the crickets out as he handles them and cleans the cricket cage out for me with no ill effects. I will see if its the plants though. I will keep you updated :)

I am allergic to pretty much everything. I am not allergic to the chameleons, but I am allergic to the crickets and roaches, and my allergy to the silkworm chow is unbearable. I am also allergic to mold spores, which will be plentiful anywhere where you have high humidity. So it may not be the chameleon, but there are plenty of things that the chameleon comes in contact with that may be causing issues.

Me too. I'm basically allergic to everything outdoors and everything that I need to take care of Kuzco, but not he himself. Oh for the love of a chameleon ;)

Well at 22yrs old maybe he needs a new suitcase&moving box's for his birthday ,or maybe a random gift ;)

Well at 22yrs old maybe he needs a new suitcase&moving box's for his birthday ,or maybe a random gift ;)

LOL He did move out for 3 years, he came back :rolleyes:, I'm a military spouse and we move alot, but darn kids find us still lol :p ha ha

I do get some sort of allergic reaction almost everyday as soon as I walk into the office, which is where we keep Picasso's enclosure, but I think mine is more the possible mold from the plants or the soil being damp, we are trying to figure this out and get it stopped.....will be interested to see what you have discovered.

Ruled the plants out as he helped me clean them where the leaves fell into the pot yesterday and today I just took Randall out of the cage, had him out for awhile, called my son in to help me take pictures of him, I handed my son the camera so he would be about a foot away to take the pictures, He started sneezing big time and watery eyes, nose running. He really is allergic to Randall. there is no other thing I can think of.

LOL He did move out for 3 years, he came back :rolleyes:, I'm a military spouse and we move alot, but darn kids find us still lol :p ha ha

Haha saw this place mat and thought of you. Hope you find the cause soon.
A51DEB37-F73E-4D56-9FE5-5AD76E0771AD-2855-000006CEB756FCBB.jpg

I do understand the red itching bumps. If any of my chams walk on me, and some to it fairly often, I get red bumps that get to about 1/2 inch across. The doctor told me to wipe the bumps down with witch hazel. It works like a charm and is available at and drug store, or even walmart.

Back
Top Bottom