All the Small Things...

Jerm

Avid Member
I love to photograph tiny animals. Here are some photos that I have taken of stuff that I have raised over the last year or so. I numbered them, so if anyone wants to take a guess at what they are feel free:
pics6-21-06034.jpg

DSCN6185-1-1.jpg

picsoffofofficecomp516.jpg

picsoffofofficecomp444.jpg

juv-2.jpg

DSCN4800-1.jpg

9-30-08dartfrogs013-4.jpg

picsoffofofficecomp037.jpg

picsoffofofficecomp415.jpg

picsoffofofficecomp107.jpg

picsoffofofficecomp237.jpg

DSCN4743-1-2.jpg

These were animals that I found in my yard and released after photographing:
11-15-08013-2.jpg

DSCN6142-1.jpg

DSCN6143-1.jpg

11-07-08021.jpg

DSCN6588.jpg

11-27-08026.jpg

Yes, I bought two and they turned out to be a male and female. They breed like crazy, and since the males raised the babies in his mouth it is easier on my part.

i was a manager at a sw/fw fish store chain ( tongs ) and back then percs, mandarin gobies, cardinals and sea horses were the only ones bred in captivity, but it was claimed to be near impossible , so that is amazing to me, maybe ive just been out of the game but im wowed.

i heard something about someone breeding ornate cleaner shrimp, something about the only way he as able to do it was to get a permit from the state to constantly pump in new saltwater from the ocean.

i was a manager at a sw/fw fish store chain ( tongs ) and back then percs, mandarin gobies, cardinals and sea horses were the only ones bred in captivity, but it was claimed to be near impossible , so that is amazing to me, maybe ive just been out of the game but im wowed.

i heard something about someone breeding ornate cleaner shrimp, something about the only way he as able to do it was to get a permit from the state to constantly pump in new saltwater from the ocean.

I am amazed at the advancements we have made in keeping and breeding aquarium fish. I know that flame angels are being bred with great success but it is a long and tricky process. I see c/b seahorses readily available at a couple of local petshops. I raised seahorses a few years ago too. I recently gave my dragonfaced pipefish pair to a friend, but their babies are so tiny that they are not yet available as c/b. I think that part of the reason that we are able to raise more of these fish are the food items that are available today. I use a lot of cyclop Eeze and selcon along with freshly hatched brine. I also have access to live mysid shrimp.

Last edited:
Wow you have quite the record of hatching out small animals. Awesome photos.The C.dilepis are the coolest looking hatchlings.

9. Orchid Mantis?
I saw some of these at the reptile show a couple of weeks ago. Do you keep/breed them? Can you tell me more about them? I find them fascinating, but don't know if it's something I can maintain. You can pm me if you like.

9. Orchid Mantis?

You're right- Hymenopus coronatus or Orchid Mantis. #8 and #9 are both the same mantis it is just different phases of their growth. They start out red and turn white later. I will pm you with more info.

Here are the names of the animals in the photos:

1.) Trioceros sternfeldi (Mountain chameleon, from Tanzania)

2.) Rieppeleon brevicaudatus (Bearded pygmy chameleon, from Tanzania)

3.) Furcifer pardalis (Panther chameleon, Ambanja region of Madagascar)

4.) Furcifer pardalis (Panther chameleon, Ambanja)

5.) Chamaeleo dilepis (Flap Neck chameleon from Southern & Central Africa)

6.) Pseudemys peninsularia (Chrysemys floridana peninsularia)(Peninsula Cooter, Native to Florida USA)

7.) Dendrobates tinctorius (Brazilian Yellow-head morph)

8.) Hymenopus coronatus (Orchid Mantis, F1 phase from Malaysia)

9.) Hymenopus coronatus (Orchid Mantis, F2 phase)

10.) Sibylla pretiosa (Cryptic Mantis, from South Africa)

11.) Coturnix chinensis (Chinese painted quail, Smallest quail species)

12.) Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern’s cardinal or Bangaii cardinal from the Indo-Pacific)

13.) Hemidactylus sp. (House Gecko, found everwhere in Florida but originated in Africa)

14.) Osteopilus septentrionalis (Cuban Treefrog, invasive species of Treefrog that is taking over Florida)

15.) Osteopilus septentrionalis (Cuban Treefrog)

16.) Eleutherodactylus planirostris (Greenhouse frog, Found in Florida but not native)

17.) Anolis sagrei (or Norops sagrei) (Brown Anole, Found in Florida but native to Cuba and The Bahamas)

18.) Diadophis punctatus (Ringneck snake, A native Florida snake)

On Christmas I had a new one hatch that i can add to the list. This is Lygodactylus williamsi, a little gecko. After 80 days of incubation these tiny guys finally hatched. The adult males are an amazing flourescent blue. Here is a pic of the dad of these guys:
DSCN6714-1.jpg

Here is one of the new hatchlings next to a dime:
DSCN7605.jpg

DSCN7608.jpg

Jerm you have some wonderful animals and are a fantastic photographer. Thanks so much for sharing.

I am finally into the brev's I have 3 and hopefully will get 3 more if it ever warms up. But hey it is only - 8. Tomorrow we will get up to 0. That means there is hope.:confused:

Back
Top Bottom