All moms & dads of Juvi/ 7 month old panthers....

Dawniegirl

How big is your panther in size & how much do they weigh? Diego is just over 7 months old & seems small... I still have to measure his length (which I will try to do tomorrow), but his weight is only 29 grams! I think he's about 6 inches long stretched out, but that a guess. How about yours? I'm hoping he's not too too small. TIA

i have a nosy be. he is also about 7 months..and also around 6 inches long. i thank you for asking this cuz i was wondering the same thing. i thought he would be bigger by now.

i have a nosy be. he is also about 7 months..and also around 6 inches long. i thank you for asking this cuz i was wondering the same thing. i thought he would be bigger by now.

Any idea on his weight? My guy feels like a feather. I wouldn't have know his weight but I had to bring him to the vet so they weighed him. I know though a lot of people on here seems to know the weight of theirs. Guess I should by a scale and keep track. Pictures of other chams his age seem like they are so much bigger them him but I was hoping that was camera trickery ;). Hope we get some replies to compare them too!

thats actually not him.,that is another one of my chameleons. he is not a panther he is a carpet. that is his full size..haha.

Sounds small. Set up?

I would get a fecal done and a vet check just to make sure everything is okay. I too have a small guy (who remains small at 18-19 months old.) Most panthers that are rather small and slow growing will eventually catch up. Mine is an oddball, so I wouldn't expect yours to stay small unless there is something else going on.

i haven't had gargamel weighed....and he's a month or two older, but to be honest, he's not as big as i would have thought....mainly weight wise.... and some of the pics we have of him, you can tell he's not that big, but other pictures, when he's outside/puffed up/or it's a close up shot, he looks quite a bit bigger....lol...

our boy that is 1 1/2 (according to who we got him from) is a little sturdier through the legs and such and longer, but in comparison to him specifically, gargamel seems on track...
(there's a thread with pics of all of ours - the gang's all here)

i'm like you, only know the weights of the ones we've had at the vet...but REALLY need to purchase a scale! :eek:

Sounds small. Set up?

I would get a fecal done and a vet check just to make sure everything is okay. I too have a small guy (who remains small at 18-19 months old.) Most panthers that are rather small and slow growing will eventually catch up. Mine is an oddball, so I wouldn't expect yours to stay small unless there is something else going on.

My guy has had that done and more. Fecal came out great (NO parasites :D) but the calcuim to phosporous level was 1:1 & should be 2:1 so he's on an antibiotic shots for 3 weeks every 3 days & an oral calcuim .1 daily. He also has some gular edema & eye issues... hoping to get all that cleared up for him.

i haven't had gargamel weighed....and he's a month or two older, but to be honest, he's not as big as i would have thought....mainly weight wise.... and some of the pics we have of him, you can tell he's not that big, but other pictures, when he's outside/puffed up/or it's a close up shot, he looks quite a bit bigger....lol...

our boy that is 1 1/2 (according to who we got him from) is a little sturdier through the legs and such and longer, but in comparison to him specifically, gargamel seems on track...
(there's a thread with pics of all of ours - the gang's all here)

i'm like you, only know the weights of the ones we've had at the vet...but REALLY need to purchase a scale! :eek:

I will check out your pics... do you have an album or what's the thread? Thanks!
Update... found it & Woww that is a gang. What a beautiful group of chams you've got. It is so hard to tell size from picture camera's are so deceiving! Love your chams!

Last edited:
He probably won't begin to catch up until everything is cleared up and he is nice and strong.

One member here (Olympia) found that her two small boys began to grow rapidly when they began to free range. Mine, however, did not.

He probably won't begin to catch up until everything is cleared up and he is nice and strong.

One member here (Olympia) found that her two small boys began to grow rapidly when they began to free range. Mine, however, did not.

Thanks, I hope so! I wonder just how far behind he is though. He's nearly double in size if not doubled his size since I've had him. I got him at 4 months & have had him for a little over 3 months.

If I remember correctly he is bigger than olympia's at that age. I'm pretty sure mine was a tad smaller or at just the same size. Mine was the size of a 6-7 month old when he was 11-12 months old.

I will check out your pics... do you have an album or what's the thread? Thanks!
Update... found it & Woww that is a gang. What a beautiful group of chams you've got. It is so hard to tell size from picture camera's are so deceiving! Love your chams!
aw...thanks!

seems like all but 2 of our girls are still on the small side....ceri (the veiled) and kat (our ambilobe from Lance) are both "robust" compared to our other gals...and it's funny because i think they eat "better" (if you consider an cham vs human diet comparative...lol) than we do!!! crickets get gutloaded with cricket crack, fresh fruits (blueberries, pineapple, apples, grapes, oranges), cucumbers on occasion, sweet potato (around thanksgiving...lol), etc....and a good variety of sliks, butterworms and hornworms. i'm a huge fan of hornworms because of the hydrating factor....

don't know what it is....lol....just individual differences i suppose. cause genetics factors would be different in all of them. lol.

If I remember correctly he is bigger than olympia's at that age. I'm pretty sure mine was a tad smaller or at just the same size. Mine was the size of a 6-7 month old when he was 11-12 months old.

Woww... I'll try to get more info, maybe find the post on Olympia's. So yours is just smaller & didn't have any health issue reasons? Maybe my guy will just be on the smaller side too. When we bought him my husband thought he looked smaller then the other cham pictures we were looking at to choose from the possible breeder's chams & it was a slight concern for him but since it was going to be my cham so it was my choice. He looked just fine to me but maybe not as, let's just say, plumped as the others. Maybe my little one will be a smaller sized cham & that would be fine by me. We'll see! ;) I just want him to be heathy, which I'm working hard on doing.

aw...thanks!

seems like all but 2 of our girls are still on the small side....ceri (the veiled) and kat (our ambilobe from Lance) are both "robust" compared to our other gals...and it's funny because i think they eat "better" (if you consider an cham vs human diet comparative...lol) than we do!!! crickets get gutloaded with cricket crack, fresh fruits (blueberries, pineapple, apples, grapes, oranges), cucumbers on occasion, sweet potato (around thanksgiving...lol), etc....and a good variety of sliks, butterworms and hornworms. i'm a huge fan of hornworms because of the hydrating factor....

don't know what it is....lol....just individual differences i suppose. cause genetics factors would be different in all of them. lol.

I suppose... guess we'll just have to wait n see n watch'em grow up ;) I'm using Timberline dry cricket food. I thought about trying the cricket crack & then was gonna switch to doing the homemade cricket food but my vet really seemed to like the Timberline ingredients... what to do, hummm?!?! I thought about trying some horn worms as well but they are cute & remind my of caterpillers... don't think I can do it. lol ;)

As long as you give them the best care you can, I'm sure they will be healthy. Do not restrict food access though! My boyfriend has a female who is petite but not as much as mine. He feeds her as much as she wants and she didn't lay eggs until she was 17-18 months old despite eating the equivalent of more than 10 crickets a day. She only laid eggs because she was bred! I'm not even sure she will lay a second clutch.

Yeah, he doesn't seem to have any problems from what the vets and I can tell. He's just a little guy. I haven't weighed him in a while, but he was 100-105 grams last month (18 months old.) very very small!

Did I hear my name? :D
Yes, I had several chameleons that were small. Some where really small, in fact. My nosy be, Cobalt, was 9 months old when I starded free ranging and was only 30g! I don't know how many inches long, but it wasn't much. He was only 5g bigger than Daedalus, who was 3 months old at the time. I was getting really annoyed that he just hadn't grown anything really significant in all the time I'd had him. I'm adding some photos for reference:

#1- When I got him, at about 2.5 months old. I've lost my records of their weights from back then, but I imagine he was in the 10-20g range.
cobalt4.jpg

#2 - This is him at 7 months, and only about 25g. He's about 3-4" in this photo and weighed about 25g.
cobalt7months3.jpg

#3 - This morning, he's 12 months old. He weighs 85g now.
cobalt1yearold5.jpg

You can see that there's a large size and weight difference in the last photo. He's still smaller than my other 1 year old male, but he's catching up at a steady rate. When he was about 9 months old I switched him to a free range with one large plastic bin as the comunal food source, and ever since he's just grown grown grown! I don't know what it is about the free range that worked for him (the 24h access to lots of food, the extra excercise, the unlimited room... who knows) but he is clearly growing better in this set up than he ever was in a 2x2x4 cage. Honestly, I also think maybe stress has something to do with it. He was always a very terrified, very aggressive chameleon in a cage, but maybe now that he has a lot more room to go to get away from me or whatever is reducing his stress? That might be an explination.

Cerberus also grew 30g in the last couple months, although he was always bigger than Cobalt, but a very slow grower. Nautilus, who is like 8 months old is also pretty small but when I bought him he was 5 months old and about 25g, so I can't say he is just small or if the breeder was perhaps feeding him less or something. But he's also doing well in the free range, slowly but surely.

So yea, that's my experience with my small chameleons. I guess it's my luck to get small panthers, but it seems like free ranging has been really beneficial to them in my experience. Who knows if anyone else will have the same luck though lol

Maybe there is some sort of common factor that we just aren't seeing? My most recent purchase (a female panther) is also taking her time to grow despite being healthy and fed 24/7. So I officially have two, my boyfriend has one, and if it makes a difference my friend has a completely healthy teeny male beardie! Maybe we just give off growth retardant rays. :)

Who knows why, but most of my panthers were/are small despite having been fed a very respectable amount of food while in their cages. For whatever reason, this change in their housing seems to have made the difference. But with 3/4 panthers being more or less petite, it's hard to say it's only genetic.

Back
Top Bottom