Alaska Advice Anyone?

stapleton33

Good evening! I'm a cham enthusiast and I just moved out to Girdwood, AK. Naturally, I left all my herps at home in CO (four veileds, ball python, and a juvenile caiman) until I figured out how living out here was going to work out. Girdwood is a pretty tiny town about an hour south of Anchorage, and it's single digit temps outside with spotty shipping services - so, you know, Alaska.

Now that I'm settled in, I'm having a new batch of chams shipped out here, and I was wondering if you all had any tips or warnings, especially in the areas of who to buy from, what shipping method to use, additional charges, general advice, etc.

I'm sure once I get them inside the terrariums they'll be fine, it's not like I live in an igloo (despite what my Lower 48 friends all think). I just want to make sure they get here warmly and happily. As a predictable side note, any advice on where to get flies and pinhead crickets would be greatly appreciated, otherwise all of the food will have to be shipped as well - that's less of a problem since there ARE pet stores in this state, they're just a long dangerous drive away and I'd rather have them mailed.

Thanks for anything you can offer!.

Good evening! I'm a cham enthusiast and I just moved out to Girdwood, AK. Naturally, I left all my herps at home in CO (four veileds, ball python, and a juvenile caiman) until I figured out how living out here was going to work out. Girdwood is a pretty tiny town about an hour south of Anchorage, and it's single digit temps outside with spotty shipping services - so, you know, Alaska.

Now that I'm settled in, I'm having a new batch of chams shipped out here, and I was wondering if you all had any tips or warnings, especially in the areas of who to buy from, what shipping method to use, additional charges, general advice, etc.

I'm sure once I get them inside the terrariums they'll be fine, it's not like I live in an igloo (despite what my Lower 48 friends all think). I just want to make sure they get here warmly and happily. As a predictable side note, any advice on where to get flies and pinhead crickets would be greatly appreciated, otherwise all of the food will have to be shipped as well - that's less of a problem since there ARE pet stores in this state, they're just a long dangerous drive away and I'd rather have them mailed.

Thanks for anything you can offer!.
I'm pretty sure there is a member that lives in Alaska that could be of some help. I wish I had some advise to offer but I do not. Best of luck.

Thanks all, I don't get online very often right now, but did start a convo with stapleton33. This is not a great time of year to ship chams up here, but at least Girdwood is within driving distance of Anchorage. A few options there. But, then there's that lovely DRIVE to Girdwood!!! Don't know what the snow conditions are like on that road right now but it can be a white knuckle trip.

Back
Top Bottom