"Air Plant" ID?

GoodKarma19

Chameleon Enthusiast
I was at one of the local nurseries, and I found this plant tucked in amongst a display of "Tillandsia, assorted". I'm having a tough time identifying it, and I thought I'd check if anyone here might have an idea! It's a little beat up, but already starting to recover.

20190407_165214.jpg
20190407_165227.jpg
20190407_165250.jpg

Attachments

• 20190406_135852.jpg
    20190406_135852.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 82
It look like a Tillandsia aeranthos.
But again they have too many synonyms...maybe wait till they start to bloom just to be sure.

It look like a Tillandsia aeranthos.
But again they have too many synonyms...maybe wait till they start to bloom just to be sure.

I was thinking it might be an aeranthos at first, but the leaves on this one are smooth and flexible instead of rigid and covered with the signature "fuzz". Its a real puzzler... I know for sure that it's in the bromeliad family, but I'm no longer 100% sure it's a variety of tillandsia!

It's an attractive plant, though, and will only get nicer as it recovers and fills in. Excited for it to bloom!

Hmmm sorry, I'm not too great with the air plant names. Looks similar to a Brom I have that is very large and has sharp points along the edges. Of course I don't keep it with the chams, just decoration in the cham room atm.

It's a mystery! I'll treat it like a brom when I fix it in the permanent enclosure. I'm pretty much just using Karma's old enclosure as a mini green house right now haha!

I was thinking it might be an aeranthos at first, but the leaves on this one are smooth and flexible instead of rigid and covered with the signature "fuzz". Its a real puzzler... I know for sure that it's in the bromeliad family, but I'm no longer 100% sure it's a variety of tillandsia!

It's an attractive plant, though, and will only get nicer as it recovers and fills in. Excited for it to bloom!
These are the bromeliad from Australia
aeranthosVaemula_e.jpg.cf.jpg
aeranthos_k.jpg.cf.jpg

Here is another one from here...
Tillandsia_aeranthos.jpg.cf.jpg

Yours has a slightly wider size and shape...there are at least more than 20 species from southern Brazil,Argentina,Paraguay...the only way to be sure is wait till they start blooming.
I DO like ur set up in planting.very nursery looking...but my avarter is nicer than yours..parrot talk..Just kidding.

These are the bromeliad from Australia
View attachment 228627View attachment 228628
Here is another one from here...
View attachment 228629
Yours has a slightly wider size and shape...there are at least more than 20 species from southern Brazil,Argentina,Paraguay...the only way to be sure is wait till they start blooming.
I DO like ur set up in planting.very nursery looking...but my avarter is nicer than yours..parrot talk..Just kidding.

Yeah, they do often have similar looking foliage until they bloom. Soon! And thank you - I'm pretty much just shoving plants whenever they look like they'll remotely fit! Trying my best to keep everything healthy until the primary enclosure is ready for them.

As for parrots... I was actually originally on a wait list for a female Eclectus baby funnily enough! But when I was going to check out a cage in the area, I happened across my Monty bird. She was in a too small cage on someone's porch with one perch, no toys, crap diet, outside in the winter! :mad:She had extensive feather damage from plucking (nothing on her chest, thighs, back, or sides, and overpreened wings) to boot! So, long story short I knocked on their door and ended up bringing home a different parrot altogether haha!

Yeah, they do often have similar looking foliage until they bloom. Soon! And thank you - I'm pretty much just shoving plants whenever they look like they'll remotely fit! Trying my best to keep everything healthy until the primary enclosure is ready for them.

As for parrots... I was actually originally on a wait list for a female Eclectus baby funnily enough! But when I was going to check out a cage in the area, I happened across my Monty bird. She was in a too small cage on someone's porch with one perch, no toys, crap diet, outside in the winter! :mad:She had extensive feather damage from plucking (nothing on her chest, thighs, back, or sides, and overpreened wings) to boot! So, long story short I knocked on their door and ended up bringing home a different parrot altogether haha!
Ur Monty bird must be lonely...thats why she pluck her own feather......she needs ur attention just like us!!
Never try to shut them up,
Or tell them “hey!” – that’s rude –
They chatter away at you non-stop,
Just as a Alphakenc type of bird.

Ur Monty bird must be lonely...thats why she pluck her own feather......she needs ur attention just like us!!
Never try to shut them up,
Or tell them “hey!” – that’s rude –
They chatter away at you non-stop,
Just as a Alphakenc type of bird.

Yeah, my little lady had it pretty rough. Her previous owners told me they put her outside because "she wouldn't be quiet". I mean, honestly... :cautious:

But don't you worry! She's a properly spoiled little princess now, 7 and a half years and counting. :love:

No no....not outside...there are coyote..bob cat...mountain lion everywhere..the previous owner must be insane.
She need tender love....like a baby..sing with her ...serenade every moment with her...they are a highly intelligent type of angel in disguise.

No no....not outside...there are coyote..bob cat...mountain lion everywhere..the previous owner must be insane.
She need tender love....like a baby..sing with her ...serenade every moment with her...they are a highly intelligent type of angel in disguise.

100% agree! She's my sweet little angel (most of the time, haha!). Monty's quite possibly amongst the most spoiled critters in the planet... she comes with me just about everywhere! She's very social, and enjoys shopping and hiking in her birdie backpack.

FB_IMG_1555048230784.jpg

(Look at me hijack my own thread, haha! I never can resist the opportunity to talk bird)

Awe, are those your birds? Gorgeous pictures! I can never get mine to sit still, so I don't have many pics. Sitting at 3 birds right now - the fewest I've ever had!

FB_IMG_1555050763042.jpg
FB_IMG_1555050717374.jpg
20171107_011945.jpg

Back
Top Bottom