Aggressive

Theres no point in saying things to someone if they are more educated in a topic than you are. Thats the only way to learn.

I was in a hurry to give you some feed back and didn't quite convey what I was trying to say. I can't find the right word I want, but when most people think of as "aggressive" they think of the animal as being bad. Aggression really is just a response. Instead of thinking of your chameleon as aggressive, think of it more as defending itself. Aggressive evokes concepts like "mean" and bad when afraid might be more accurate.

I was in a hurry to give you some feed back and didn't quite convey what I was trying to say. I can't find the right word I want, but when most people think of as "aggressive" they think of the animal as being bad. Aggression really is just a response. Instead of thinking of your chameleon as aggressive, think of it more as defending itself. Aggressive evokes concepts like "mean" and bad when afraid might be more accurate.
Thats true. I wasnt sure with chameleons but with animals i have observed i can tell that they wouldnt really act bad. They just want to survive and not die. Thanks for the extra knowledge jean:)

My male veiled acted like a tame cat when he was young, climbing out of the cage to eat, etc. As he aged, he got progressively more territorial with me. Sometimes he'll still want to eat from my hand, but more often than not, he'll threaten me when I open the cage door, and chow down after I put his bugs in a cup, shut the door, and take a couple steps back.

Everyone I've talked to (including the Vet) says that it's completely normal for veiled (especially males) to get territorial after they go through puberty.

One general point that I think is important to make: Reptiles aren't mammals! It may sound silly, but we often subconsciously think of these animals as have a strong social drive like we do, or the way a dog might. Really, 99% of the time, they're happier if you feed, them, keep their cage clean, and admire them from a distance. Don't worry, you are not neglecting him by giving him what he wants (territorial space). Quite the opposite!

Back
Top Bottom