Aggressive gecko

I have 2 crested geckos. My 2 yr old male within the past few weeks has not been friendly. Both of my geckos generally love to come hang out and have never tried to bite. He has always been on the spastic side, but I've heard he would grow out of it. I got him when he was one and now he is over 2 years and he is even more spastic and will even bite us.It makes me sad, but I will just let him be and no longer get him out :(
image.jpeg

It's spring. "Love" is in the air. I would not be surprised that some males get a little aggressive during this time if it coincides with their natural breeding season. Give him some time to chill and hopefully, he will go back to his more normal self. Do you have a female? Can he see her?

His tank as been beside my females tank the whole time. Since she is younger and still a lot smaller than him they are separate but my hope was that once she is grown they could be together. So I thought that them having some visual "contact" would be okay. I have found them on multiple occasions on the glass of each tank staring at each other but they never acted odd or aggressive or I would have moved them. At times we would get them both out to be around each other but never let them get too close. I did this about two weeks ago. They were about 2 feet a part on my floor and he started wagging his tail which was pretty upsetting. I put them both away. After that it seems his aggressiveness has spiraled down and gotten worse.

Was he "upset" or starting a mating display? I don't know enough about geckos to know their behavior well. I'm just wondering if he seems aggressive because he's trying to reach your female for mating. Just a thought for consideration. It would be easy to set up a visual barrier between the cages to test if this improves his overall behavior.

Was he "upset" or starting a mating display? I don't know enough about geckos to know their behavior well. I'm just wondering if he seems aggressive because he's trying to reach your female for mating. Just a thought for consideration. It would be easy to set up a visual barrier between the cages to test if this improves his overall behavior.
I'm not sure what a mating display looks like. He seems to spastic and jumping everywhere to just be trying to get to here. I will block them from each other just in case. Thanks for trying to help

I would block their view of each other for now. My cresties are both almost 6 years old and they live apart apart from when I want them to breed, and then the longest they stayed together was 2 weeks. Last year they were together for just the weekend. Female pairs 'may' cohabit but since they are most active at night you wouldn't see any warning signs that they weren't getting along. Male/female pair or group (2/3 females to one male) may get along, but nothing is guaranteed. males housed together is a big no no. Females can be quite aggressive if they aren't receptive to the male. Also, bear in mine that females should be over 2 years old before breeding, and preferrably weigh around 40g.

When I first got my female she came from a pet store rather than a private breeder (I bought my male privately) it was obvious that she hadn't been handled. Her hunting instinct was really strong and for a while she would only eat crickets. She would 'hunt' everything that moved (including my fingers) as well as anything that she thought she could eat. Many times I had her hanging onto the seam on my sleeve, tugging at it. Thankfully, she grew out of it and is now more tame than my male. If I put my hand in the female's viv, she will taste my hand and jump right on. These days the male runs from me.

I would block their view of each other for now. My cresties are both almost 6 years old and they live apart apart from when I want them to breed, and then the longest they stayed together was 2 weeks. Last year they were together for just the weekend. Female pairs 'may' cohabit but since they are most active at night you wouldn't see any warning signs that they weren't getting along. Male/female pair or group (2/3 females to one male) may get along, but nothing is guaranteed. males housed together is a big no no. Females can be quite aggressive if they aren't receptive to the male. Also, bear in mine that females should be over 2 years old before breeding, and preferrably weigh around 40g.

When I first got my female she came from a pet store rather than a private breeder (I bought my male privately) it was obvious that she hadn't been handled. Her hunting instinct was really strong and for a while she would only eat crickets. She would 'hunt' everything that moved (including my fingers) as well as anything that she thought she could eat. Many times I had her hanging onto the seam on my sleeve, tugging at it. Thankfully, she grew out of it and is now more tame than my male. If I put my hand in the female's viv, she will taste my hand and jump right on. These days the male runs from me.
Interesting. I have blocked their view from each other. My female is a sweet heart. I've had her since she was 2 months. My male was given to me by someone that could no longer care for him when he was a year old. His cage was too small there was wooden spoons and random stuff in there. He was VERY timid at first but he grew to love coming to hang out but was always very hyper I suppose lately I don't what's gotten into him but it's upsetting.

Back
Top Bottom