Age ?

Could you answers these questions, please?
-When you take him out to handle, does he go outside, to a free-range set-up, gets treats, or something else?
-How often do you feed, and how many bugs do you feed him each feeding? How often are you use using the waxworms and hornworms? What are you using to gutload his feeders?
-What is your supplement schedule?
-Each daytime mistings session needs to be a minimum of 2-5+ minutes or longer. Try to only mist in the morning and at night for your daytime mistings when the cage is cooler, if the humidity allows it.
-Definitely get a fecal check done since he’s from Petco. Make sure to bring a fresh fecal sample with you to the appointment. Also do bloodwork and x-rays while there (he is old enough to get bloodwork done safely). Make sure to drop off at least 2 fresh fecal samples afterwards to make sure no parasites were missed. Is the vet you’re going to experienced in chameleons?
-How old is his UVB bulb, and how far away is it from his basking branch? What is your light schedule?
-How are you measuring his temps? What is his exact basking temp? Are you using a digital thermometer with a probe, with the probe placed where his casque/top of his back is when he’s on his basking branch, to measure his basking temp? What are his ambient and nighttime temps?
-Daytime humidity is great, but what are his nighttime humidity levels? How do you measure humidity?
He goes outside into his outdoor cage or I take him out to clean
I feed every other day 2-3 feeders waxworms and mealworm are very rare treats, like 1-2 every two weeks and hornworms 1-2 a week
Gutload/ carrots, collard green, orange, fruit,
Supplement schedule- every feed is calcium without d3 and one day every week switches between calcium with d3 and multivitamin
The vet I go to is Texas avian and exotic animal hospital
Basking spot is 83
Humidity at night I mist through the night 30 secs every 4 hrs
Wake and sleep at 7:30 so 12 hour schedule

He goes outside into his outdoor cage or I take him out to clean
I feed every other day 2-3 feeders waxworms and mealworm are very rare treats, like 1-2 every two weeks and hornworms 1-2 a week
Gutload/ carrots, collard green, orange, fruit,
Supplement schedule- every feed is calcium without d3 and one day every week switches between calcium with d3 and multivitamin
The vet I go to is Texas avian and exotic animal hospital
Basking spot is 83
Humidity at night I mist through the night 30 secs every 4 hrs
Wake and sleep at 7:30 so 12 hour schedule
Great! I would add more ingredients to your gutload, though. Here’s a great chart!

Attachments

• chameleon-gutload 2.jpg
    chameleon-gutload 2.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 67
Could you answer these questions, as well, please?
-How old is his UVB bulb, and how far away is it from his basking branch?
-How are you measuring his temps? What are his ambient and nighttime temps?
-What are his nighttime humidity levels? How do you measure humidity?

Could you answer these questions, as well, please?
-How old is his UVB bulb, and how far away is it from his basking branch?
-How are you measuring his temps? What are his ambient and nighttime temps?
-What are his nighttime humidity levels? How do you measure humidity?
Oh yeah sorry🤪
UVB is 4 months old
About 6-8 inches from basking spot
I have a digital heat gauge
I was going to ask how you guys measure humidity because right now I have the one in the photo below and I know they are not accurate

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 75
Oh yeah sorry🤪
UVB is 4 months old
About 6-8 inches from basking spot
I have a digital heat gauge
I was going to ask how you guys measure humidity because right now I have the one in the photo below and I know they are not accurate
So with the 5.0 bulb, you want the UVB bulb to be 8-9” away from his basking branch. For measuring basking temps, you’ll want a digital thermometer with a probe, with the probe placed where his casque/top of his back is when he’s on his basking branch. For humidity, I use three digital thermometer hygrometer combos (this way it also measures ambient temps). I place one by the basking branch, one in the middle of the cage, and one near the bottom. You can also use only digital hygrometers or digital hygrometers or combos with probes, as well. Amazon, Lowe’s, and Home Depot, etc. all have them, with the last two stores carrying them in the weather section. What are his ambient and nighttime cage temps?

So with the 5.0 bulb, you want the UVB bulb to be 8-9” away from his basking branch. For measuring basking temps, you’ll want a digital thermometer with a probe, with the probe placed where his casque/top of his back is when he’s on his basking branch. For humidity, I use three digital thermometer hygrometer combos (this way it also measures ambient temps). I place one by the basking branch, one in the middle of the cage, and one near the bottom. You can also use only digital hygrometers or digital hygrometers or combos with probes, as well. Amazon, Lowe’s, and Home Depot, etc. all have them, with the last two stores carrying them in the weather section. What are his ambient and nighttime cage temps?
Ok, I don’t know his nighttime temps I will check later tonight and tell you. What are ambient temperatures?

Hey sorry I know this thread was from earlier, but my chameleon has been acting weird lately. Today and yesterday he goes to a random dark spot during the day and falls asleep- during the day..😬

Hey sorry I know this thread was from earlier, but my chameleon has been acting weird lately. Today and yesterday he goes to a random dark spot during the day and falls asleep- during the day..😬
Start a new thread - you will get answers quicker and more accurate

Oh no, that's never a good sign. How much is he sleeping? How long has this behavior been going on? Is he doing anything else weird?

My advice is taking him to an experienced vet. Chaneleons do not sleep during the day. when they are sleeping in means they are dealing w an issue that has built up over time and they no longer can hide it anymore. 😔

Oh no, that's never a good sign. How much is he sleeping? How long has this behavior been going on? Is he doing anything else weird?

My advice is taking him to an experienced vet. Chaneleons do not sleep during the day. when they are sleeping in means they are dealing w an issue that has built up over time and they no longer can hide it anymore. 😔
He sleeps a full 12 hrs.
For two days
Nothing else weird

He sleeps a full 12 hrs.
For two days
Nothing else weird
You said he was sleeping during the day, I meant how long is he sleeping in the day?

And for humidity I use a humidifier for mine that I run at night to keep humidity up. I also mist a couple hours before lights go out for about 5 minutes and that also helps with the humidity.

How do you keep humidity up at night?
Like @GrayMadder said, you can use a humidifier along with an automatic mister. You can also try closing off more sides of the cage with something like a cheap shower curtain. You can safely close off the sides and the back of the screen cage. If that isn't enough, you can put a shower curtain over the front of your cage (only close off the main door--leave the bottom maintenance door unobstructed), doing this will allow for the chimney effect which will provide enough airflow. Essentially, as the air near the top gets heated by the basking lights, the air rises out of the cage, and new cooler air enters through the maintenance door.

You said he was sleeping during the day, I meant how long is he sleeping in the day?

And for humidity I use a humidifier for mine that I run at night to keep humidity up. I also mist a couple hours before lights go out for about 5 minutes and that also helps with the humidity.
Oh sorry
45-1/12 hour

Back
Top Bottom