Age/size

ChamLover04

Today I found out that the chameleon I thought was 4 months old is actually 7 months old and I’m a little bit worried about his size. I got him exactly 3 weeks ago and that was also his last shed since then. He is only 4 inches nose to vent. Is his growth stunted at this point? Is there anything I can do to accelerate or normalize the growth rate by this point? I’m feeding him dubias, lateralis and superworms (ordered BSFL also, but they haven’t arrived yet). He’s eating solid, but nothing special (like he would eat 4 1 inch lateralis or 1 superworm and 3-4 1/2 inch dubias daily).

Can you share pics of him? Are you concerned he’s small for his age?
Yeah, I am. I know they differentiate in growth rate, but I never read one being this small at 7 months.

Attachments

• 345D2DFC-AE6E-4A42-9470-A73F2BF9A650.jpeg
    345D2DFC-AE6E-4A42-9470-A73F2BF9A650.jpeg
    362.6 KB · Views: 181
  • EA113732-AB2C-4D15-938F-5D295AB92022.jpeg
    EA113732-AB2C-4D15-938F-5D295AB92022.jpeg
    466.3 KB · Views: 202
Was it an honest misunderstanding? Because to misrepresent a smaller then average 7 month old for a 4 months old is a bit shady. And if he is in fact 7 months old you need to look at why he is not growing. I would have a fecal done.
Actually, I didn’t really ask what his age was when I went to pick him up. So I assumed it by his size, but yesterday I asked and found out and was a little bit shocked.

I agree with @Beman, if growth is a concern get a fecal done. I would also invest in a food scale so you can keep track of his weight over time. I know panthers don’t typically explode in growth like veileds so I am u experienced with their growth patterns. Based off the pics he looks healthy, what are you feeding and how much?

I agree with @Beman, if growth is a concern get a fecal done. I would also invest in a food scale so you can keep track of his weight over time. I know panthers don’t typically explode in growth like veileds so I am u experienced with their growth patterns. Based off the pics he looks healthy, what are you feeding and how much?
I’m feeding him dubias, lateralis and superworms (ordered BSFL also, but they haven’t arrived yet). He’s eating solid, but nothing special (like he would eat 4 1 inch lateralis or 1 superworm and 3-4 1/2 inch dubias daily).

Looks like he’s eating fairly well, definitely take a fecal in for testing and get a scale to keep track of his weight. I bought this one and it works pretty well.
https://www.amazon.com/GreaterGoods...ZBJMR9NC45B&psc=1&refRID=34PZ6ZE5SZBJMR9NC45B
I’ve got a food scale, but the problem is he is really shy and avoids people. I can watch him all day and do things in his enclosure and he’s fine with all that, but if I try to get my hand near him he’ll just move in the opposite direction and panic and run away if I touch him. Tried handling him a few times, but he just doesn’t want anything to do with me. He doesn’t hiss or bite, he just avoids contact. I didn’t take him out of the enclosure because I don’t want to stress him out, which is a bummer because I want him to be friendly with me (I know it’s not in their nature though). Should I just take him out to weigh him. Any methods on how to get him to be more friendly because it ends the same every time and the last thing I want for him is to be stressed. Also, when I got him and got him out of the box he came in he was nuts going all over me and I thought that he was really friendly, but just looks like he was really panicking when I think it through.

Runt would be my guess, if the fecal is clean. I am dealing with the same thing ATM, about the same age (little younger, like 6.5m) same size, clean fecals eats fine, just isnt growing very fast. I was a little concerned about it as well, its not not normal, its just not that common, its just a Runt. He could explode, and become normal sized, could stay smaller than average, could stay the same size he is now, I seen cases of all those in my research of it.

I seen a reddit post from a semi reputable breeder, who had a Veiled hatch that was the size of a 3m old at 1.3 years, that was its full size not going to grow. Just like people I assume, there is that kid that is 4ft till 10th grade and then comes back from the summer 6'3" and there is the guy that never gets over 4'6".

I been freaking about it too, the Vet assured me, its just a Runt, it happens.

Where did you get him if I may ask? Mine is showing the Exact same coloration too, its crazzy like they are twins lol.

This thread helped sooth me :) a bit. https://www.sacramentochameleon.com/blog/the-runt-of-the-clutch-turns-out-to-be-the-most-beautiful

Last edited:
Runt would be my guess, if the fecal is clean. I am dealing with the same thing ATM, about the same age (little younger, like 6.5m) same size, clean fecals eats fine, just isnt growing very fast. I was a little concerned about it as well, its not not normal, its just not that common, its just a Runt. He could explode, and become normal sized, could stay smaller than average, could stay the same size he is now, I seen cases of all those in my research of it.

I seen a reddit post from a semi reputable breeder, who had a Veiled hatch that was the size of a 3m old at 1.3 years, that was its full size not going to grow. Just like people I assume, there is that kid that is 4ft till 10th grade and then comes back from the summer 6'3" and there is the guy that never gets over 4'6".

I been freaking about it too, the Vet assured me, its just a Runt, it happens.

Where did you get him if I may ask? Mine is showing the Exact same coloration too, its crazzy like they are twins lol.

This thread helped sooth me :) a bit. https://www.sacramentochameleon.com/blog/the-runt-of-the-clutch-turns-out-to-be-the-most-beautiful
Wow, I’ve honestly never heard of a runt chameleon and this is quite fascinating, but yeah just like people I guess. I ordered him from an exotic animal shop called Egzotika.hr and he got there from a breeder from Germany. Also thank you for the new insight and a possible solution.

Also, there are no herp or really reptile specialized vets in my country as the interest in exotic animals is quite small. Every vet is specialized in dogs, cats, horses, goats etc. That pisses me off a lot because I can’t check if anything is wrong with my little guy just like that. There is however a veterinary station in my town, but I doubt they have much or any experience with reptiles. Is a fecal exam something that can generally be done by any vet? And even if they can do it, I highly doubt they can identify the parasites if there are any.

Also, there are no herp or really reptile specialized vets in my country as the interest in exotic animals is quite small. Every vet is specialized in dogs, cats, horses, goats etc. That pisses me off a lot because I can’t check if anything is wrong with my little guy just like that. There is however a veterinary station in my town, but I doubt they have much or any experience with reptiles. Is a fecal exam something that can generally be done by any vet? And even if they can do it, I highly doubt they can identify the parasites if there are any.
Call and find out if they are able to run a fecal for a chameleon. In the states they are either done in house or sent out to a lab. I have several vets in my town and they do not specifically work with reptiles however they will run fecals because they all send them out to a lab. If a parasite is identified then we have experienced members that are familiar with treatment that you can take the info back to the vet to request what you would like to have given. :)

I also have a guy who grows at a slower pace. My younger male is about 5 months younger and is just as big or bigger. He isn't exactly small, just smaller. It happens!

Yes, a fecal can be done by any vet. You're looking for the same basic thing in any float... eggs, worms, parasites, etc.

Call and find out if they are able to run a fecal for a chameleon. In the states they are either done in house or sent out to a lab. I have several vets in my town and they do not specifically work with reptiles however they will run fecals because they all send them out to a lab. If a parasite is identified then we have experienced members that are familiar with treatment that you can take the info back to the vet to request what you would like to have given. :)
I found his poop in the bowl I put under the dripper. Is that sample still good for testing? I’m asking because it was soaking in water anywhere from between 8am to 3pm (wasn’t home).
EDIT: never mind, fecal exam can’t be done in my town, but they send it to another city every wednesday so that’s the earliest I can hopefully even come close to any results.

Last edited:
I found his poop in the bowl I put under the dripper. Is that sample still good for testing? I’m asking because it was soaking in water anywhere from between 8am to 3pm (wasn’t home).
EDIT: never mind, fecal exam can’t be done in my town, but they send it to another city every wednesday so that’s the earliest I can hopefully even come close to any results.
Well that is aweful. Ok so you need to be able to collect the sample on a tuesday so they get the freshest one you can provide since they do it this way. And it should be one that does not fall into water or anything that could contaminate and change the results.

Back
Top Bottom