Age/size

Well that is aweful. Ok so you need to be able to collect the sample on a tuesday so they get the freshest one you can provide since they do it this way. And it should be one that does not fall into water or anything that could contaminate and change the results.
Yeah, it’s a huge bummer, but can’t do anything about it unfortunately...

Well that is aweful. Ok so you need to be able to collect the sample on a tuesday so they get the freshest one you can provide since they do it this way. And it should be one that does not fall into water or anything that could contaminate and change the results.
After all of that I looked into doing floatation myself because this exam situation is really horrible if I have to wait every time I want it done. Do you, or does anyone else know if this pocket microscope has enough magnification and if the test can be performed with it. If the microscope is good, I’ll order the microscope slides also and prepare the fluid myself with sugar or salt.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carson-Mic...croscope&qid=1578677659&sprefix=micros&sr=8-8

After all of that I looked into doing floatation myself because this exam situation is really horrible if I have to wait every time I want it done. Do you, or does anyone else know if this pocket microscope has enough magnification and if the test can be performed with it. If the microscope is good, I’ll order the microscope slides also and prepare the fluid myself with sugar or salt.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carson-Mic...croscope&qid=1578677659&sprefix=micros&sr=8-8

You need 400x

I really dont know tbh.

Im not sure how that 15 dollar microscope can zoom in 1000x. If it can, then sure. However when I was thinking about doing it, and talking to people about it, that do it, the microscopes I was linked were 100s of dollars, not 15.

They defiantly were not digital for 15 either. this was the cheapest I was told, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005O0XVTS?ascsubtag=[]st[p]cjw26cpyq005uq7yebzgjg3qn

Your looking at toys, not real equipment. Whether those toys will work or not, I have not a clue. the DIY Fecal Guide here suggested a 340 dollar microscope. I find it hard to believe that a 15 dollar piece of Chinese tech can get to 1000x zoom, when semi professional scopes cost 100s to do the same. China Lies, is what I am getting at lol :), why not there is zero recourse.

Last edited:
I really dont know tbh.

Im not sure how that 15 dollar microscope can zoom in 1000x. If it can, then sure. However when I was thinking about doing it, and talking to people about it, that do it, the microscopes I was linked were 100s of dollars, not 15.

They defiantly were not digital for 15 either. this was the cheapest I was told, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005O0XVTS?ascsubtag=[]st[p]cjw26cpyq005uq7yebzgjg3qn

Your looking at toys, not real equipment. Whether those toys will work or not, I have not a clue. the DIY Fecal Guide here suggested a 340 dollar microscope. I find it hard to believe that a 15 dollar piece of Chinese tech can get to 1000x zoom, when semi professional scopes cost 100s to do the same. China Lies, is what I am getting at lol :), why not there is zero recourse.
Yeah seems suspicious lol. I’ll ask my biology teacher if I can use a real microscope.

So I was told by the vet that I should get like 4-5 stool samples and bring it in next tuesday so it can be transported to the main vet station and until then keep it all in the fridge. This is pretty different than what all of you said about fecal exam being done with the freshest possible stool sample and I’m unsure how that will turn out. Tbh I believe all of you more than I believe the vet. What are your thoughts about this?
P.S. My boy has a tiny shed patch on his eye that’s been there for 3 weeks already, any tips?

So I was told by the vet that I should get like 4-5 stool samples and bring it in next tuesday so it can be transported to the main vet station and until then keep it all in the fridge. This is pretty different than what all of you said about fecal exam being done with the freshest possible stool sample and I’m unsure how that will turn out. Tbh I believe all of you more than I believe the vet. What are your thoughts about this?
The only thing I can think of is that they are wanting to ensure that over a few samples there is not a parasite load. I know that when they run some samples it can show a lower parasite load then the cham actually has and sometimes they do not pass the parasite in a particular stool. This is how my vet explained it for the follow up fecals I had to get for a few months time anyway.

It takes a gram of feces to do a proper fecal flotation for accuracy. Your vet may want to be sure there is enough. He/she may also want to get a wider sample because not all parasites lay eggs every day especially if the parasite load is light. Refrigeration will keep the sample fresh enough for a 2-3 days.

Once he poops you can put it in a plastic bag and put it in the fridge. As long as the stool is kept in the fridge it should be ok. They should transport it in ice/dry ice. I work in a human lab and deal with stool all the time and that’s how we handle transport. Of course fresh is always best but keeping it cool helps keep the integrity of the sample.

I agree with the above ^^^

It takes a gram of feces to do a proper fecal flotation for accuracy. Your vet may want to be sure there is enough. He/she may also want to get a wider sample because not all parasites lay eggs every day especially if the parasite load is light. Refrigeration will keep the sample fresh enough for a 2-3 days.
Yeah, they’re supposed to last a week in the fridge (and stay fresh) from what I’ve been told. You think the results will be false if stool is stored in the fridge for longer than 3 days?

No, not false results but there may be some breakdown of the eggs in the older sample. It depends on the parasite type. I'm just going by the rule of thumb at practices I've where I worked. We used samples that were 2-3 days old or fresher and were kept refrigerated until being submitted. If you bring in a mix from a weeks worth of collecting it will be fine if they mix it all together.

Any update OP? Has he taken off like a weed yet?

My little runt finally got his big boy colors, and no joke seemingly doubled in size in a week(he gained like 2 maybe 3 inches) out of nowhere, he is about 8 inches snout to vent now. Also started eating twice as much! (of the crickets anyway, I have no idea how many flies he eats, I just release 10 or so in there everyday, and find dead ones and escapees sometimes).

He went from full browns to this his last shed, he doesn't fire up very much so its hard to snap a pic.
82769682_2952009474862325_3513534374865797120_o.jpg

Any update OP? Has he taken off like a weed yet?

My little runt finally got his big boy colors, and no joke seemingly doubled in size in a week(he gained like 2 maybe 3 inches) out of nowhere, he is about 8 inches snout to vent now. Also started eating twice as much! (of the crickets anyway, I have no idea how many flies he eats, I just release 10 or so in there everyday, and find dead ones and escapees sometimes).

He went from full browns to this his last shed, he doesn't fire up very much so its hard to snap a pic.
View attachment 257556
Hey, thanks for checking up. The fecal hasn’t been done yet as my mom forgot to bring it to the vet station because it had to be done on tuesday morning and the vet station is quite far, I have to get to school also and I’m still underage and can’t legally drive so I couldn’t do it. But it will be done the following week. My boy started doing great actually, it seems to me that he’s grown and my parents also say he did (he’s also about 7-8 inches snout to vent, haven’t measured him exactly). He started eating more aswell so we have a pretty similar situation :). His poop looks healthy, I see him drink, he’s getting his supplements with dubias, laterlis and superworms. Also BSFL are arriving on monday. He’s pretty active and I don’t see any possible sign of a problem which is amazing. The last pic is right after his lights turned on in the morning and I can’t get enough of the little guy lol. The only thing is that he hasn’t shed in a month and a half (is this normal or indicating lack of growth or maybe it’s normal if he’s a runt?). Can’t wait for his growth spurt. I’m glad to hear about your improvement also :).

Attachments

• 7B89F312-12B6-40D2-B466-2EBB3D2DA1F1.jpeg
    7B89F312-12B6-40D2-B466-2EBB3D2DA1F1.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 145
  • 3FD84496-38B4-4C4C-934E-7E23AA56708F.jpeg
    3FD84496-38B4-4C4C-934E-7E23AA56708F.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 820AC8AC-840E-451E-9AA3-DC4859218E33.jpeg
    820AC8AC-840E-451E-9AA3-DC4859218E33.jpeg
    330.7 KB · Views: 79
Update.
Fecal exam came positive for parasites... I have to drive my boy for 1 hour to a vet station that is supposed to be the best in my country, but there are no real exotic experts there... It feels pretty hopeless considering the vet situation here. I wasn’t even told what parasite it is because they don’t know, they just said I should go there and start the treatment.

Update.
Fecal exam came positive for parasites... I have to drive my boy for 1 hour to a vet station that is supposed to be the best in my country, but there are no real exotic experts there... It feels pretty hopeless considering the vet situation here. I wasn’t even told what parasite it is because they don’t know, they just said I should go there and start the treatment.

That sucks. Why would they not tell you which one?

You might want to ask what they plan to prescribe and run that by some of the more advanced with parties members here. Like Jannb and Jacksjill, some of that treatment can be lethal in its own right.

We need to know what kind of parasite your working with.

That sucks. Why would they not tell you which one?

You might want to ask what they plan to prescribe and run that by some of the more advanced with parties members here. Like Jannb and Jacksjill, some of that treatment can be lethal in its own right.

We need to know what kind of parasite your working with.
Because honestly I doubt they know. They barely have any experience with chameleons. I went to pick up the bill and get the results and it says that the tests for giardia and cryptosporidium are negative, but they found oxyurid eggs. That’s all it says. The exam was done with MERIFLUOR, Meridian Bioscience

Last edited:
Because honestly I doubt they know. They barely have any experience with chameleons. I went to pick up the bill and get the results and it says that the tests for giardia and cryptosporidium are negative, but they found oxyurid eggs. That’s all it says. The exam was done with MERIFLUOR, Meridian Bioscience

So Pinworms, I think?

What did they prescribe? Panacure?

@JacksJill

Back
Top Bottom