affects of inbreeding??

dreamforthedead

I'm only asking because I know someone who has bred two yemens from the same clutch of eggs. The female laid and the eggs have since hatched she is now selling the babies in her shop. When I found out I voiced my concerns about inbreeding but she says it doesn't matter with lizards.?? I'm sure I read some where that chameleons who have been inbred have many health problems. Can someone just clear it up for me. Thanks

Edit : she's also trying to breed her Jackson's who are also from the same clutch.

Not chameleon specific...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inbreeding

Then look at the Hawaiian Jackson's...its said that they all came from 3 dozen that were released there in l972...and there don't appear to be any genetic issues with them.

True. I don't belive there are a lot of issues with inbreeding between chameleon, just look at the translucent veileds, they're imbred to the point where their skin is almost see through.

It probably happens a bit in the wild, if a lucky clutch all survives. The difference is that artificial selection is a lot faster than natural selection. Look at how quick cows evolved from the older African lines into the variety of huge monsters for beef and milk we see today. I say quick, but that's in evolutionary timescales.

As long as your friend keeps a bit of an eye on it and doesn't inbreed for generations then it should be totally fine.

I was worried that the poor little things would suffer from health problems and so on. Glad it clears things up, been playing on my mind.

Inbreeding between siblings is not AS horrible as it's been made to sound. Sure, it's not great, but there's still enough genetic variation so that their kids will generally be fine. It sure doesn't do much for the overall health of the species though, by any means...

I have always wondered this too. With leopard geckos you must "inbreed" or line breed to come out with all the different morphs. People inbreed snakes too. Alot of reptiles infact are inbred. More research into this is needed before we start thinking about it. But what the lady said "there all lizards". Makes you wonder.

The trans veileds have been outbred. They have quite a bit of genetic variation.

A sibling breeding might not affect the offspring too much (unless there was some recessive gene,) but if you continue to only breed from that line you will eventually run into problems.

just a thought the royal family did it for years.... i wouldnt continue doing this with future generations but once should not be to bad,

I was worried that the poor little things would suffer from health problems and so on. Glad it clears things up, been playing on my mind.

If she kept up this practice for multiple generations some defect present in the whole original clutch is bound to show up eventually. How soon that happens is anyone's guess, because we don't know how closely related the original parents were. Many populations of cbb chams are already fairly closely related anyway considering that breeders select for colors or other traits.

True. I don't belive there are a lot of issues with inbreeding between chameleon, just look at the translucent veileds, they're imbred to the point where their skin is almost see through.

I thought translucence was the result of a dominant gene, not a recessive (so you don't have to inbreed to produce translucent veileds).

I could be wrong though- honestly I don't find them attractive so I've never had them or wanted anything to do with them.

Back
Top Bottom