advice

Brit12

I have a 4 month old male veiled chameleon and he's very moody lately. He's always hissing at me and almost falls off the branch or whatever he is on. What are some tips or suggestions to help me get him not to do this. I hold him as much as I can but I work all day so a lot of handling can't happen. :confused:

Handling him too much might actually be stressing him out instead of getting used to you. Try hand feeding him every now and then and be patient with him :)

Accept the fact that some chameleons won't ever like being handled. Some can't wait to come out of their enclosures when they see their owners. Some, like my 11 month male veiled, doesn't seem like he will ever want to be handled. It stresses him out when I try so I keep his stress level down by not trying to pick him up.

I hold him as much as I can

Probably he's being held too much. More handling doesn't always mean the cham will become less reactive. They are all individuals. Try backing off the number of times you try picking him up and for how long. Interact with him by hand feeding treats, letting him climb out of his cage on his own (and maybe using a perch to carry him to a favorite place in the house such as a sunny window so he learns that being picked up means good things).

Thank for sharing your ideas. I guess he might not want to be held I'll try the perch and opening his cage doors more.

Back
Top Bottom