Advice on getting a first Chameleon

Im 14 years old and my heart is set on a chameleon. I have already done a ton of research on the matter and realize that they require a lot of care. I was wondering if you guys could help me out on deciding what type of chameleon I should get. I already have a 2x2x4 mesh enclosure and have two trees that are chameleon friendly. I also have 2 vines and some fake leaves.

upload_2018-7-14_17-58-56.jpeg

This is what it looks like

Hello there, I'm pretty new to chameleons too, but as long as you do your research and A LOT of it. I'm sure you can handle it. Just remember, This animal will be your responsibility and need DAILY care. You cant just throw a bowl of food into its enclosure.

You also need to think about when your in school during the day. You may need an automatic mister, to keep your chameleon hydrated and the enclosure humid.

You need to also care for the feeder insects, which honestly can be a pain sometimes (especially crickets) sometimes they die easily.

But if you think your ready... I went with a panther chameleon. A lot of reading has lead me to those being the most tolerable of temp and humidity. Not to mention they have awesome colors and a sleek head.

Just make sure you ask ask ask questions and look up things like temp, humidity, feeder insects, specific lighting ect. there is definitely A LOT to know. But once your into a routine its not as bad as it sounds. Thats good you already got some plants and vines. Make sure you got A LOT of different levels and angles for the chameleon to choose and regulate where it needs to be as well as some hiding spots and shade.
Good luck!

So age is a relative thing. I had amphibians and reptiles earlier than 14 and was very successful with few mishaps. I did have some good friends that offered a lot of advice and that was a blessing. From the set up I would suggest a veiled because they do not require as much water as some other types. They do make good first chameleons also. I would get a male so you don't have to worry about egg production and I think they have some of the best colors as they grow!

So age is a relative thing. I had amphibians and reptiles earlier than 14 and was very successful with few mishaps. I did have some good friends that offered a lot of advice and that was a blessing. From the set up I would suggest a veiled because they do not require as much water as some other types. They do make good first chameleons also. I would get a male so you don't have to worry about egg production and I think they have some of the best colors as they grow!

Yeah?? Ive read a few places that veilds require more humidity than other breeds. Though they are hardier. No doubt though theyre really all gorgeous

Chamo,

Welcome to the site. Glad you found us. Lots of info on whatever type of cham. you decide upon. Looks like you've got a good head start on your enclosure and foliage. As indicated above, add more foliage to the top of the enclosure inside for shade. You will need lighting (UVB and a heat lamp) as well as a misting system. If I had to do it all over again, this is what I'd get for the basics. Do it right the first time and you'll have less to worry about and spend in the long run.

Light: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/od...dia-6-bulb-3-x-daylight-bulbs-built-in-timer/

Heat: https://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Premiu...r=8-3&keywords=ceramic+heat+lamp+for+reptiles

Get an incandescent bulb for the dome. Depending on what species you want, the bulb will very for heat output. I have an in-line dimmer switch in the cord to adjust the heat.

Mister: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-lis...TF8&condition=all&qid=1531607776&sr=1-1-fkmr0, or...
http://www.mistking.com/Starter-Misting-System-v4-MKMSS-125-50.html

From here, you have to decide on what you're getting. I have a Veiled. Despite the rumor about veileds, Lucky is a gentle and we'll mannered veiled He was hatched and hand raised by a UC Davis research student for a program that he was running at the school. In closing out the program, I was the fortunate recipient of 3 mo. old Lucky, plus a cage, lighting and the Mistking for a very reasonable price. I was fortunate to find him, but there are plenty of keepers/ breeders here that will steer you in the right direction. If you haven't yet, take a look at this link:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/

Use the search bar (above right) to find articles (at nauseum : D) about what you are looking for. If you are having trouble, ask. Someone will answer up. If not, PM me and I'll find the answer. This site has been an invaluable resource for me and Lucky for the past 3 years. There are breeders, keepers, vets, researchers, and others here that can help. I am on here almost daily, looking things up or just perusing the site to get ideas. Do your research and ask away. The folks here are great. Hope to see you post up soon.

Last edited:
I really don’t have a drainage plan, any suggestions? The mat might be able to absorb some water.

http://dragonstrand.com/drainage-tray-solutions/

I have my enclosure up on an end table. I hang the lip of the tray off the back of the table (wall side) and have a 1" hole drilled in the bottom of the tray with a pvc fitting and pipe that drains into a 5 gal bucket. I dump the bucket every 6 mo. or so. I'll take some pics of my set up and post them in a bit, so you get the idea.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help so far, would u know any breeders that carry veiled and or panther chameleons, I have found some reputable sellers such as FL Chameleons and Canvas Chameleons, just wondering if anyone knows any terrific breeders I could look into buying from.

Last edited:
I got my guy from FLchams and he’s great, he was shipped from Florida to NC with no issues, I’d second getting a male too, (and they sell out first) but wait and get a male, a lot of stuff to do and I think first go round ( I’m new too) dealing with a female who will lay eggs even if she’s not mated is too much on top of everything else. You need a t5 high output uvb tubular bulb and also a heat lamp (my guys a male vieled) and our enclosures are similar, he likes the 60 watt blue bulb, and I’ve tried three different ones...the others are too hot for him, also a digital thermometer in the reptile section. Really everything is pinned in General Discussion under Basic Chameleon Husbandry right now. Read all of that information. The author is an expert. Good luck...do ALL your research, install and buy everything, test it all and THEN order your chameleon.... :)

Thanks for the help so far, would u know any breeders that carry veiled and or panther chameleons, I have found some reputable sellers such as FL Chameleons and Canvas Chameleons, just wondering if anyone knows any terrific breeders I could look into buying from.
Welcome @CamoChameleon118 if you do indeed decide on a panther check in with @Matt Vanilla Gorilla . Matt and Jessica Aka @Teal Beauty are amazing . You will not find healthier friendlier panther. They will also guide you with anything you ever need 24/7 . Their customer service is impeccable .

If you do decide on a veiled I would recamond going with someone small whom breeds for their own line . Check In With @jannb she can help you find the perfect veiled if you go with a veiled . Best of luck with your decision .

Thank you @Kristen Wilkins! We do have some baby panthers in our nursery right now. If you are interested in seeing pictures of the lineage, you can find them on our website: www.nutsoverchameleons.com

Please feel free to contact @Matt Vanilla Gorilla via text at 530-917-0299.

We would love to help you should you decide on a panther chameleon or should you have any questions regarding these amazing creatures! In addition, you have an amazing support group and access to some of the most knowledgeable chameleon enthusiasts and experts here on Chameleon Forums. We wish you the best as you prepare for your new reptile friend!

As others have stated, matt looks to have some great chameleons and puts a lot of love into their care. Kammerflage is another great one. So many quality places to get Panthers TBH. Most of the breeders do a great job with them. It's probably harder to find a healthy veiled than panther since veileds are thrown around dirt cheap. Jannb and flchams are the only people I know of with quality veileds

Back
Top Bottom