Advice on baby veiled

Joyce

I am an avid animal lover and have been keeping reptiles for 12 years now. My daughter works in a pet store and people dump off all kinds of animals there after they realize they haven't cared for them properly and the animal is in bad shape. The owner will allow the employees to take them home when this happens. Which is quite often. So caring for sick reptiles isn't new to me. But recently I was given a baby veiled that won't eat. I have the poor little guy set up with humidity about 60 percent, uvb bulb, watering tree, and the temp is 80 degrees at the top. However he won't eat. I was wondering if it's possible to syringe feen him something like critical care or maybe some repashy, or if may there is a better method. I don't have any background on him. I really would love to get him to eat. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome. How old is the baby? If you are not sure, post pics and we will all compare. I am currenlt raising my first baby veiled male cham. I got him at four months and he is now 6 1/2 months. What are you feeding him? I know petco only offers baby mealworms to their baby chams. No live small crickets or anything else. I have heard people complain that they dont seem to know how to hunt which maybe the case. I know there is a food that you can force feed him with but i dont remember the name of it.. You put it in a syringe without a needle and pry the mouth open from both sides of the mouth at the same time. there are utube videos on feeding sic chams also giving meds video maybe helpful. I would get some wax worms and try to pry the mouth open once it opens pop a waxworm in amd see if he will chew it. Wax worms dont have much nutritional value but they are small enough for baby, easy to handle, and have lots of fat. you also need to get some water drippIng on a leaf that the baby can easily get to. That a plastic cup and poke a hole with a needle and set it on top or up high. You might want to wet a cotton ball and let it drip, one drop at a time over the point of his mouth once he tastes its water he may want more. Dont try and put water "in" his mouth or you could drown him. Please post pics of baby and cage setup and complete the husbandry form so members can help you. there is a ton of knowledge at this site so i believe u r at the right place. Bless you for taking the baby in! Oh try offering lettuce. Veileds eat a variety if lettuce and greens (i like to offer collard greens for the vitamins A&K. We also need to know your vitamin and calcium schedule. I bet he hasnt had any. Calcium without vitamun D should be dusted on crickets daily and flukers multi and calcium with vit D once every other week. Hold a mealworm,waxworm imfront of him so he sees it and see if he snatches it off your hand. Be patient. Chams will watch once they see it move then tilt the head so the other eye sees it that means he ia targeting then snatches with tongue. unf you may have to teach him to hunt and eat. Make sure to offer some greens cut up or tie /hang a whole leaf for him to nibnle on. Some will, some wont.

Yes, you can use Critical Care or Reptaboost. Please post some photos of your baby veiled, his lights, enclosure and the supplements that you are using.

This is how I recommend keeping baby veileds.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-with-young-veiled-or-panther-chameleons.325/
He currently in a 20 long, which I have standing on end. It's a temporary set up that I had to put together last minute because this wasn't planned. A coworker of mine thought that I would be able to save him because I have reptiles and they had no one else they knew who could take him. I have a paladarium
Yes, you can use Critical Care or Reptaboost. Please post some photos of your baby veiled, his lights, enclosure and the supplements that you are using.

This is how I recommend keeping baby veileds.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-with-young-veiled-or-panther-chameleons.325/
The tank is a 20 gal long set on end. It's a temporary tank, and have a vertical one that measures 12x12x18 on order as well as the proper light set up. I had to throw something together quickly as he was kind of a surprise. A coworker got him to my care because she figured that since I kept reptiles that I should be able to help him.

Attachments

• P_20220613_161251.jpg
    P_20220613_161251.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 64
  • P_20220613_161226.jpg
    P_20220613_161226.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 60
Hi. :) It would be much better to just set the aquarium as it’s supposed to be as your little one desperately needs correct uvb, which can’t be provided thru glass. I understand this is a temporary situation, but without uvb, he will fail. The standard is a linear T5 ho fixture with either ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%. If you aren’t able to get that immediately, take him outside for at least 15+ minutes daily for some natural uvb from the sun. In addition to uvb, supplements are also essential. Once baby starts eating on it’s own, he should be getting a phosphorus free calcium without D3 daily and one feeding every other week, use a multivitamin/D3 combo such as Repashy calcium plus with LoD or ReptiVite with D3. Rather than babble on and on, let me direct you to the most accurate and up to date source for proper husbandry. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Hi. :) It would be much better to just set the aquarium as it’s supposed to be as your little one desperately needs correct uvb, which can’t be provided thru glass. I understand this is a temporary situation, but without uvb, he will fail. The standard is a linear T5 ho fixture with either ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%. If you aren’t able to get that immediately, take him outside for at least 15+ minutes daily for some natural uvb from the sun. In addition to uvb, supplements are also essential. Once baby starts eating on it’s own, he should be getting a phosphorus free calcium without D3 daily and one feeding every other week, use a multivitamin/D3 combo such as Repashy calcium plus with LoD or ReptiVite with D3. Rather than babble on and on, let me direct you to the most accurate and up to date source for proper husbandry. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
I appreciate the info. The new tank has arrived so I'm in the process of setting it up now. I was unable to put the 20 long the other way because the water tree wouldn't fit and I didn't have another way to give him water. I currently have a uvb bulb on it, but it's not a T5. There aren't any pet stores in the area that carry them so I'll have to wait until the one I ordered comes it. But I will take him outside in the meantime. I have 2 different types on calcium. One has d3 and the other one doesn't. Both are repto calcium brand. I also have zoomed reptivite. Is vitamin A something I should add?

Hello and welcome. How old is the baby? If you are not sure, post pics and we will all compare. I am currenlt raising my first baby veiled male cham. I got him at four months and he is now 6 1/2 months. What are you feeding him? I know petco only offers baby mealworms to their baby chams. No live small crickets or anything else. I have heard people complain that they dont seem to know how to hunt which maybe the case. I know there is a food that you can force feed him with but i dont remember the name of it.. You put it in a syringe without a needle and pry the mouth open from both sides of the mouth at the same time. there are utube videos on feeding sic chams also giving meds video maybe helpful. I would get some wax worms and try to pry the mouth open once it opens pop a waxworm in amd see if he will chew it. Wax worms dont have much nutritional value but they are small enough for baby, easy to handle, and have lots of fat. you also need to get some water drippIng on a leaf that the baby can easily get to. That a plastic cup and poke a hole with a needle and set it on top or up high. You might want to wet a cotton ball and let it drip, one drop at a time over the point of his mouth once he tastes its water he may want more. Dont try and put water "in" his mouth or you could drown him. Please post pics of baby and cage setup and complete the husbandry form so members can help you. there is a ton of knowledge at this site so i believe u r at the right place. Bless you for taking the baby in! Oh try offering lettuce. Veileds eat a variety if lettuce and greens (i like to offer collard greens for the vitamins A&K. We also need to know your vitamin and calcium schedule. I bet he hasnt had any. Calcium without vitamun D should be dusted on crickets daily and flukers multi and calcium with vit D once every other week. Hold a mealworm,waxworm imfront of him so he sees it and see if he snatches it off your hand. Be patient. Chams will watch once they see it move then tilt the head so the other eye sees it that means he ia targeting then snatches with tongue. unf you may have to teach him to hunt and eat. Make sure to offer some greens cut up or tie /hang a whole leaf for him to nibnle on. Some will, some wont.
I have a water tree in with him. I did get to see him drink from it today. I have been cutting up kale and arugula. I tried a pinhead cricket but he didn't seem to care. I did go out and get some wax worms to try. His new tank came in today so I'm getting it set up, but the proper uvb hasn't arrived yet. I have a uvb on there, but none of the pet stores sell the correct lighting for them. I did notice when I was moving some of the vines to the new tank that he did poop, so that gives me a bit of hope for him.

ReptiVite contains preformed vitamin A, so you definitely don’t want to add any more as it could cause toxic levels. As you’re using the three supplements, you’ll still use the calcium without D3 daily/every feeding except one per week. One feeding every other week you’ll use the ReptiVite and the same with the calcium with D3…just alternate them so they aren’t given together.
PetSmart has recently begun selling Arcadia Pro T5 uvb lights which are nice and usually do come with a 5.0 bulb. Once you get the correct uvb, you’ll want to place it about 8-9” above the basking area. Also, while baby may not be feeling well enough now, eventually he will make his way to the screen top and climb it upside down. To prevent burns, you’ll want to raise the basking light a few inches above the screen. I use wire baskets from the dollar store to raise my lights.
Veileds will eat plant matter, but they have zero need for it. It would be much better to feed the greens to your feeder bugs. Bsfl (aka calci worms, Phoenix worms) are great feeders and may be small enough. Small silkworms would also be great. Check the forum sponsors for where to buy.

You said..."I have a water tree in with him"...can you post a photo of it please.
It pumps the water from a reservoir to the top of the tree and it drips down the leaves all the way to the base where there are tiny holes for the water to go back into the reservoir. You can control how fast the water comes out. I'm running distilled water through it.

Attachments

• P_20220613_205608.jpg
    P_20220613_205608.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 56
  • P_20220613_205608.jpg
    P_20220613_205608.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 56
ReptiVite contains preformed vitamin A, so you definitely don’t want to add any more as it could cause toxic levels. As you’re using the three supplements, you’ll still use the calcium without D3 daily/every feeding except one per week. One feeding every other week you’ll use the ReptiVite and the same with the calcium with D3…just alternate them so they aren’t given together.
PetSmart has recently begun selling Arcadia Pro T5 uvb lights which are nice and usually do come with a 5.0 bulb. Once you get the correct uvb, you’ll want to place it about 8-9” above the basking area. Also, while baby may not be feeling well enough now, eventually he will make his way to the screen top and climb it upside down. To prevent burns, you’ll want to raise the basking light a few inches above the screen. I use wire baskets from the dollar store to raise my lights.
Veileds will eat plant matter, but they have zero need for it. It would be much better to feed the greens to your feeder bugs. Bsfl (aka calci worms, Phoenix worms) are great feeders and may be small enough. Small silkworms would also be great. Check the forum sponsors for where to buy.
The PetSmart by me didn't have any. Stores will usually carry what sells in their area, but it'll be available on the main website. I will order and try some of the other worms you suggested.

So it holds water inside and it drips out?
How often do you clean it?
This is the first I've used it, so I'm assuming maybe every other day. I'll be checking it daily until I'm use to using it, then I'll be able to better judge how often it will need it.

You don't want bacteria to build up in it.
Correct, part of the reason for distilled water. It won't leave a build up of residue making it harder to clean. When cleaning in normally either use vinegar and water, or dish soap, depending on what I'm cleaning. I picked up a dripper for when I have to run vinegar water through the pump, that way he'll have still have water while I make sure it's cleaned the completely rinsed. I'm super picky about the cleanliness of my enclosures.

If he poops where water runs then he drinking his our poop water or dead bugs . Plain dripper way better for him then that. Dripper and mist. Doesn't need water 24/7. Mist before lights on before lights off and if need dripper or mist mid day. Since baby would use dripper mid day for hour should be fine

I will keep an eye out for it. This is the first time I've used one, so I'm very interested in seeing how it works out. I do minor clean ups on all of my enclosures daily, so that part isn't worrying me. Right now, my main concern is getting him eating and making sure that he has everything he needs. From what I've been told the previous owner had a hard time trying to get him to eat.

As for distilled water won't keep bacteria from growing. It will keep water stains from forming like scale lime calcium.
Correct, and those stains and build up give bacteria more places to hide and stick to making it impossible to get really clean.

Veiled are pigs. So if your having problems getting him to eat there has to be something off with with setup or wrong size feeders. If feeders to small some won't go for them if too big same thing. Uvb plays a rule in appetite. Even as babies they are know to be pigs. Now when you frist get him might go a day or two not eating. But after that should eat

Back
Top Bottom