Active time

SeanNY

I’ve had my Jackson chameleon for a few weeks now and I notice yesterday and today that he’d look like he’s sleeping for part of the day then be wide eyed and active into the night. Vet isn’t open till Monday is it possible that his sleep cycle is mixed up? If so can it be corrected. I have a fogger hooked up on the side and a mister on a time for every 3hrs for 50 seconds.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 39
It's not unusual for them to sit still at times or go to their sleep spot early but they should never have their eyes closed during the day. They need absolute darkness at night to get proper sleep.

You should trade out your fake plants for live plants. Your chameleon will feel much more comfortable. Live plants will give him more places to hide, which will, in turn, reduce his stress and make him bolder. Live plants will also help stabilize the humidity.

Do you monitor the humidity levels?

Also, you need to add a lot more branches to your cage. Your chameleon will greatly enjoy having more branches to climb on. Additionally, it will allow him to pick the right temperature gradients, humidity gradients, uvb gradients, etc. You will also see less "screen walking" as he will be more inclined to climb the branches.

I see him resting directly under the light fixture. Also, and correct me if I'm mistaken, it appears you are not using a linear uvb light. Using traditional screw-in uvb bulbs will not supply enough uvb to the animal. This may be why he climbs the screen to get under the bulbs. It could also be that the basking light is not strong enough to warm him up sufficiently.

Your cham is beautiful! And you are asking questions to give him a better life--which is great! Let me know if you have any more questions.

What lights do you have on his cage? Is the UVB a compact or long linear bulb? Is the basking light white?

Are they on all day and off at night?
I’ve had my Jackson chameleon for a few weeks now and I notice yesterday and today that he’d look like he’s sleeping for part of the day then be wide eyed and active into the night. Vet isn’t open till Monday is it possible that his sleep cycle is mixed up? If so can it be corrected. I have a fogger hooked up on the side and a mister on a time for every 3hrs for 50 seconds.
I have a uvb bulb and a blue bulb.. Yes I monitor his humidity levels. What would be good suggestions on what live plants to put in. I’ve seen cages with a bunch in it I didn’t want to make the mistake of having it be overcrowded. I appreciate all the help

I have a uvb bulb and a blue bulb.. Yes I monitor his humidity levels. What would be good suggestions on what live plants to put in. I’ve seen cages with a bunch in it I didn’t want to make the mistake of having it be overcrowded. I appreciate all the help
The plants on these lists are chameleon-safe.

Be sure to read all the text & notes.

Selecting plants is more than picking names or pictures off of a list/website. Plants need to be researched individually for their requirements (light, water, drainage, feeding, etc.) and balanced with other plants and the enclosure as an eco-system.

For example, it wouldn't do to have a shade loving plant mounted up next to your plant lights, or a full-sun plant hidden at the bottom or behind other plants.

The first link above will also explain how to use plants effectively.

Jacksons chams love lots of plants to hide in. I dont think there’s any such thing as over crowding plants when it comes to a Jackson’s Cham. They love to hide and it helps them feel more secure and comfortable. Jackson’s ar very shy chams and do better with lots of plants and the plants help keep the humidity up.

So have you been leaving one or both the lights on at night? Which ones?

It's advised that the lights used for basking should produce a white light. Blue can be hard on the eyes.

It's also recommended that the UVB light be the long linear tube light...either a reptisun 5.0 or an Arcadia 6%.
At night except last night I’d keep the blue light on… if blue is bad than what other light should I use instead.

So the. What other light would be good with the uvb
3 kinds of lights. IMO/E, they're best dealt with separately.

Basking: (White—NO LEDs)
Incandescent household lightbulb​
Incandescent flood (not spot)​
halogen flood (not spot)​
I like floods—they run a little warmer and they're easier to aim.​

UVB:
T5 HO Linear 5.0 or 6%, running full width of the enclosure​

Plant lights: (White)
White LEDs are proving to be best (most efficient, most economical, greener)​
I like these for a 24x24x48 enclosure:​
They have enough power to reach the nether regions of the enclosure, and they're self-contained.​
At night except last night I’d keep the blue light on… if blue is bad than what other light should I use instead.
No lights at night whatsoever.

3 kinds of lights. IMO/E, they're best dealt with separately.

Basking: (White—NO LEDs)
Incandescent household lightbulb​
Incandescent flood (not spot)​
halogen flood (not spot)​
I like floods—they run a little warmer and they're easier to aim.​

UVB:
T5 HO Linear 5.0 or 6%, running full width of the enclosure​

Plant lights: (White)
White LEDs are proving to be best (most efficient, most economical, greener)​
I like these for a 24x24x48 enclosure:​
They have enough power to reach the nether regions of the enclosure, and they're self-contained.​

No lights at night whatsoever.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom