About to panic! Regurgitated water after drinking

I am glad she is ok... Unfortunately this is creating a habit that really is not the healthiest. She is learning that is her water source. Just like you bring the food. She could drink too much or even aspirate some while she is doing it. Causing it to come back up. If the water had been sitting in the bottle for a while it could have been getting nasty as well. I would get her off this method of drinking. You do not want her dependent on drinking in this manor.

I am glad she is ok... Unfortunately this is creating a habit that really is not the healthiest. She is learning that is her water source. Just like you bring the food. She could drink too much or even aspirate some while she is doing it. Causing it to come back up. If the water had been sitting in the bottle for a while it could have been getting nasty as well. I would get her off this method of drinking. You do not want her dependent on drinking in this manor.
I have already decided not to let her do it any more.
I've never seen her drink when the dripper is running.
The water is definitely not old.
The bottle is small and gets rinsed and refilled daily. Its the one I use to mist her plants.
So it would be one of her drinking water options anyway

The bottle is small and gets rinsed and refilled daily. Its the one I use to mist her plants.
Her misting sessions should be long enough for her to be able to drink enough of the water droplets on/dripping from her plants (a minimum of 2-5+ minutes or longer for her daytime mistings). Is your dripper dripping water onto high plant leaves and trickling down multiple other leaves or is it dripping straight to the bottom?

Last edited:
I think she is relating it to you though in the same way she relates you to food.

I will tell you I rarely ever see any of my boys drinking. I have only seen Bane drink a few times and that was when I first got him home. Bentley I have seen maybe a handful of times. Beman would drink from a dripper but stopped when I got the mistking and fogger. I run a 5-7 minute misting every evening and they still barely ever drink. I have tried to use the solo cup dripper and ice cubes on all the cages and every time not one of them are interested.

This is your key with her in knowing is if urates are white she is very hydrated. 50% white 50% orange and that is still considered hydrated.

Her misting sessions should be long enough for her to be able to drink enough of the water droplets on/dripping from her plants (a minimum of 2-5+ minutes or longer for her daytime mistings). Is your dripper dripping water onto high plants leaves and trickling down multiple other leaves or is it dripping straight to the bottom?
I dont mist when the lights are on. I do mist until all her plants are very wet and everything is dripping.
The leaves hold water from the morning mist for about a half hour after lights come on.
Dipper is onto a money tree and falls to multiple leaves.
Usually she will watch it from across the cage. Occasionally she will sit under the dripping water and get soaked.

I dont mist when the lights are on. I do mist until all her plants are very wet and everything is dripping.
The leaves hold water from the morning mist for about a half hour after lights come on.
Dipper is onto a money tree and falls to multiple leaves.
Usually she will watch it from across the cage. Occasionally she will sit under the dripping water and get soaked.
How long does each misting session last? “Daytime” mistings preferably mean misting in the morning and at night when the cage is cooler, if the humidity allows it to go that long in-between mistings, otherwise you’d have to add at least one more misting in or wrap the cage sides and back (or more). Do you fog at night?

I think she is relating it to you though in the same way she relates you to food.

I will tell you I rarely ever see any of my boys drinking. I have only seen Bane drink a few times and that was when I first got him home. Bentley I have seen maybe a handful of times. Beman would drink from a dripper but stopped when I got the mistking and fogger. I run a 5-7 minute misting every evening and they still barely ever drink. I have tried to use the solo cup dripper and ice cubes on all the cages and every time not one of them are interested.

This is your key with her in knowing is if urates are white she is very hydrated. 50% white 50% orange and that is still considered hydrated.
She relates me to everything good.
On the days she wants window time.(everytime the sun is shining in it seems) She comes to the front and stares at me.
I open her cage she climbs on her human steed and across the room she goes to the hibiscus tree.
If my 17 yr old tries to help her to her tree. She snubs him and walks back into her cage.

How long does each misting session last? “Daytime” mistings preferably mean misting in the morning and at night when the cage is cooler, if the humidity allows it to go that long in-between mistings, otherwise you’d have to add at least one more misting in or wrap the cage sides and back (or more). Do you fog at night?
I mist for a good couple mins both times.
Its long enough for the noise of the bottle to annoy any family members within hearing distance.
I do run a fogger at night. It runs on low between midnight and 6am.
Its really dry in the winter.

She relates me to everything good.
On the days she wants window time.(everytime the sun is shining in it seems) She comes to the front and stares at me.
I open her cage she climbs on her human steed and across the room she goes to the hibiscus tree.
If my 17 yr old tries to help her to her tree. She snubs him and walks back into her cage.
Yeah so this is why I would break the drinking from the bottle habit lol. She knows you and knows you are safe. Beman was very much like this until he fully hit maturity. So I know exactly what you mean.

I mist for a good couple mins both times.
Its long enough for the noise of the bottle to annoy any family members within hearing distance.
I do run a fogger at night. It runs on low between midnight and 6am.
Its really dry in the winter.
What are her daytime and nighttime humidity levels?

What are her daytime and nighttime humidity levels?
Right now her basking spot is reading 38%.
Her ambient humidity onnthe cool side is 50%.
At night i can see a spike into the 90s with misting. But it tends to drop after an hour or so.
With the fogger on low i see it stay close to 80%
Her cage is a repurposed cabinet.
It has a solid back.
Cut out windows on the sides and a screen front.
Right now the bottom half of her screen is covered to give her some privacy when its egg time

At night i can see a spike into the 90s with misting. But it tends to drop after an hour or so.
It has a solid back.
Right now the bottom half of her screen is covered to give her some privacy when its egg time
Is the top screen as well? Honestly, I think you just need to stick with misting, fogging, and using the dripper on the leaves until (and continuing after) she breaks her habit.

Also add in hornworms if you can get them to boost her hydration if she becomes dehydrated
I normally get her silks and a couple horn worms every other week.
But since lock down I havent made it to the city. I'm rural so the only feeders available are crickets and supers.
I found a local breeder to get bsfl from at least.
We get to start easing restrictions on Tuesday. So will hopefull make it to get her more soon

I normally get her silks and a couple horn worms every other week.
But since lock down I havent made it to the city. I'm rural so the only feeders available are crickets and supers.
I found a local breeder to get bsfl from at least.
We get to start easing restrictions on Tuesday. So will hopefull make it to get her more soon
Can you order them online?

It has a solid back.
These are all perfect and within range.

Nothing that isnt cold tolerant.
Temp right now is -11°C
I started breeding my own crickets. And plan to try my hand at silks this spring
Some vendors have heat packs you can pay extra for to be added to your shipment. Also if you can order from a distributor that is closer to where you live this can help.

Back
Top Bottom