About sleeping outdoor ☀️

Gordita0405

Established Member
Hi all :) I build an outdoor cage a few days ago as we just pass the hot summer in Taiwan and now the temperature is quite lovely (32 -23 or 90 - 74) with light breeze. My panther cham Picasso is almost 7 month old(almost three under my care)and enjoys outdoor time. He normally has his outdoor time twice a day( one in the morning ,one in the afternoon) and he knows it... He will be on his basking spot chilling in his indoor cage and when he sees me open the door with hand waiting, he will climb on my hand ( then head ) to go outside free roam.

When I first finished the outdoor cage (120x 120 x 180 cm)two days ago, around 5pm I was about to put him inside , he was already in his lollipop tails ready to rest...So I let him sleep outside and didn’t have such a good sleepy myself as I kept on worrying if he will be ok. He was fine. He was eating and pooping and exploring the next day so I let him sleep outside again last night. I guess my question is should I just let him continue to sleep outside as long as the weather condition allows? Or should I let him sleeps outside a few nights and inside a few nights so it will be a more natural going in to winter time when it rains more often and I’ll have to put him inside more? Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated :) thanks

Ps. Please see pictures of my in door and outdoor inclosure, as well as some pics of P in outdoor cage

Attachments

• 398AC942-4E14-43FE-BBD4-50D5AAF849A2.jpeg
    398AC942-4E14-43FE-BBD4-50D5AAF849A2.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 201CB512-06BC-4B4E-BB11-9065388479CB.jpeg
    201CB512-06BC-4B4E-BB11-9065388479CB.jpeg
    342.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
He is beautiful, as are your enclosures! I know we have several keepers here that house their chameleons outside during the warmer months with no issues, they tend to actually see more naturalistic behaviors from their Chams in doing so. As long as temps don’t drop too low, you should be fine. I don’t have any personal experience in this as I live in Colorado and we get maybe 1 month out of the year total where it’s not too cold or too hot to keep a cham outside :LOL:
@jamest0o0 anything to add for OP?

He is beautiful, as are your enclosures! I know we have several keepers here that house their chameleons outside during the warmer months with no issues, they tend to actually see more naturalistic behaviors from their Chams in doing so. As long as temps don’t drop too low, you should be fine. I don’t have any personal experience in this as I live in Colorado and we get maybe 1 month out of the year total where it’s not too cold or too hot to keep a cham outside :LOL:
@jamest0o0 anything to add for OP?
Thanks Daisie I spend a lot of time on my indoor enclosure, hand painted outside with driftwoods from friends by the beach :) I also like him being outdoors but just want to make sure I make sure the changing enclosures in and out doesn’t give him any stress ☺️

Thanks Daisie I spend a lot of time on my indoor enclosure, hand painted outside with driftwoods from friends by the beach :) I also like him being outdoors but just want to make sure I make sure the changing enclosures in and out doesn’t give him any stress ☺
I don’t think it would, and I think the benefits he will get from being outside will outweigh the temporary stress he will feel from switching enclosures twice a year :)

he's already grown accustomed to his indoor enclosure so it should be as stressful if he was going to a totally new/different place. he's probably like oh, time to go back to my other house lol.

Last night was about 23/75 and humidity is around 75 percent. :)
How cool does your home get... I think the only thing I would want to be sure of is that your not leaving him out when it is too warm at night since they do need the cool down. The humidity is good since they enjoy a higher night humidity. But there are many keepers in the US like in Florida or southern California that will sleep theirs outside. I think just be really conscious of the environment, pay attention to him for any signs of distress, and make sure no one can steal him lol.

he's already grown accustomed to his indoor enclosure so it should be as stressful if he was going to a totally new/different place. he's probably like oh, time to go back to my other house lol.
Aww thanks for the sweet comment I am very lucky to have found him too! Never thought I would be such a happy cham owner !!! He is very curious and adventurous and he lets me know what he wants to do... not shy at all!! if he doesn’t want to go somewhere I put him in, he would run back to my hand and want to climb on to my head . My parents said I created a little spoiled monster that can only be happy living bigger and better now lol I guess we will wait and see ... he was good in his indoor enclosure but like Daesie said spending outdoor would be pretty good for him . During the morning he is good basking and eating on the top either on the branch or plant... but in the afternoon he goes down and was trying to poke his little head through the plastic sides ... I take it he was just exploring and see where the boundary is but also could be it’s too warm ( color normal and no mouth opening ) I’ll just keep an eye on him and see how he settle in to spending most of his time outside :)

How cool does your home get... I think the only thing I would want to be sure of is that your not leaving him out when it is too warm at night since they do need the cool down. The humidity is good since they enjoy a higher night humidity. But there are many keepers in the US like in Florida or southern California that will sleep theirs outside. I think just be really conscious of the environment, pay attention to him for any signs of distress, and make sure no one can steal him lol.
very good point !!! In door I have AC and outside even though it’s around 75 at night ... depends on the humidity, it feels warmer... I’ll definitely keep an eye on him.
He is pretty safe here as only I am here and we don’t have too raptors in the city...but yesterday when I was feeding him a sparrow flew inside the cage My heart stops a little as I didn’t know what it was just some flapping noice and I took P right away and we stay back until it finds its way out ...

Back
Top Bottom