A question

laurahlove

Hello :) so I just got my new veiled boy yesterday, and he's only 3 months old, but he's been doing this thing with his mouth, I guess, gapping? Just taking little breaths a lot through his mouths. Not like big gulps, just little gulps of air. Is he okay? Or is this not a problem?

It could be a sign of a respiratory infection. Does he do it anywhere, or just when he is basking? Gaping is when they open their mouth and they will do this when they are hot, or have trouble breathing like with an RI. Gulping is not normal behaviorl. Sometimes when they are getting to shed they will open their mouths and like bite the air to loosen the skin, but I don't think that is what you are describing.

Its anytime, out on my hand, on my brothers hand, in his viv. I mist it a couple of times a day, and he has a dripper on. So what should I do? I hope he's okay :(

To be honest, if he gapes anywhere other than in a hot spot, i.e. under a basking lamp (which chams do sometimes when too warm - its the lizard version of a dog panting) then I would take him to the vet, as it can be the sign of a respiratory infection.

Better to be safe than sorry.

I agree, it sounds like an RI. He needs to be seen by a good vet. Unfortunately it sounds like you received a sick chameleon. I had the same thing happen to me. I got one of my girls with an RI, luckily I have a FANTASTIC vet who is a chameleon lover herself, and a moderator on this site.

Okay, I just got him yesterday so I'm going call the breeder and see what he says. I'll definitely take him somewhere though, thanks you guys!!

Do you think it could be because he was housed in a 10 gallon with no vines at the top and a bunch of dirt on the bottom?
How I got him:
885a1b3d200355dfe50cda43d8231406.jpg

I would say it is respiratory as well and I would also say him being in a glass tank has a lot to do with it. I would suggest getting a screen enclosure and look into respiratory cures.

Good luck

I would say it is respiratory as well and I would also say him being in a glass tank has a lot to do with it. I would suggest getting a screen enclosure and look into respiratory cures.

Good luck
That was him at the store, he's in a reptibreeze now.

It does sound like an RI. Does he have any of the other symptoms like popping sounds, excessive mucous buildup in his mouth, bubbles, holding head up all the time?

If it is an RI, he would need an antibiotic. I would contact the breeder if there was a health guarantee, hopefully you can get your vet bills covered since you didn't cause it.

Back
Top Bottom