A question on how to dust feeders ?

Ruganut

Hi all, I have a question regarding dusting of feeders. Currently, I have a small tub that I sprinkle my supplements in and then I put my feeders in. I then give it a shake to coat the feeders. I take each feeder out and blow the excess supplements off. This leaves the feeders with a complete coating of supplement.

My question: is this an acceptable method to get the right amount of supplements onto my feeders ?

Dont get me wrong, so far Ringo isnt showing any signs of illness or MBD, everything seems fine. I just want to make sure I'm not over supplementing him. I would also be interested to see how other Cham owners 'lightly dust' their feeders ;)

i think that is fine. I throw whatever feeder in a cup filled with whatever supplement I am using that day, swish them around and feed them off. If I think there is too much powder than I blow it off.

I do similar. I have a container that fits inside another container. The inner container has nail holes in the bottom and lower sides (seive like). I put a small amount of supplement in. I add bugs. I swirl and shake. An acceptable amount of supplment goes on the feeders, the excess falls into the bottom container (which I can reuse of course).
I dont think the two container method is necessary. What you are doing is fine. If you put less supplement into your container in the first place, you'll not have to blow off excess. Of if you heavily dust half the feeders and dont dust the other half at all....

I have basically been doing the same thing (minus the blowing excess off), I have a little glass I shake the crickets into (I have only been dusting the crickets, not other feeders. He gets crickets everyday- two feedings, only dust on one feeding). I put about 4 or 5 crickets into a glass, gently tap a little bit of supplement into the glass and then swirl around. Since i started doing it this way, I have never felt that the crickets were too caked. Even if they are, most of the extra falls off when they are dropped into the cage anyway and then when I clean the cage out.

Your method sounds like what I do.
Just put a very small amount of dust in the jar, ad bugs, shake, blow off, stick in the feeder.

It's important NOT to use too much dust because it get air-born and your cham will breath it. I have had to wipe the white ring of calcium dust off his nose with a damp Q-tip a few times before I learned ;)

I think people tend to overdo the suppliment thing.

Attention to what U R gutloading is more important IMO.

I would rather have the goodies on the INSIDE instead of the outside :)

I add supplement in a bag and shake. Also I add supplement to anything I feed my crickets (banana's, orange, apple, etc) I coat the food lightly. So far my Veiled Cam seems very happy.

I put my supplements in a ziplock baggy and put the feeders in there and shake it around a tad.

Back
Top Bottom