A Nightmare Realized

Everyone, Jimmy is sill alive and well. I'm feeling relieved and confident that we have avoided any serious complications - for now. I really appreciate everyone's feedback and ideas in dealing with these pesky mice. We'll be setting up lots of snap traps and other mice deterrents this weekend. We are really hoping that the peppermint proves to be key in producing lasting results.

Thanks again cham fam.

Hope your fella is ok. If you're still into the poison route for riding yourself of the mice, try www.doityourselfpestcontrol.com
They sell commercial grade pest control. We had awful trouble with mice for like a year. Used dcon live traps. Everything we could think of. They laughed at the dcon and stepped over the glue traps. They have some poison mouse baits. It eaton top gun rodent bait blocks. We had HUNDREDS of mice. We used 10 of those block and they were gone. For about $40 you get a whole bucket. We have animals too I was worried about but we had to do something. Best part they dont die in the walls like with d con. They leave. Not the best option but worked well if you are desperate.

I have a rather grim update. Jimmy is alive and well so rest your laurels regarding that. My house however is not. After this incident the mice presence became rather prolific. We caved and called an exterminator to assess the problem and recommend a solution.

So, these are his words: "In the 23 years I've been doing this I have never seen an infestation of this magnitude. It is my professional guess/opinion that you have in the neighborhood 5000 mice living in every part of your house. This posses a very serious threat to your home and family. A threat that cannot be mediated with the use of conventional methods. You need full and immediate fumigation with a full closure and tent for no less than two weeks times. In other words, you need to vacate immediately and take nearly everything you have out of the house."

I'm at a loss. Jimmy is staying with my friend for the foreseeable future and we are without a home for at least a couple of weeks. We are blessed enough to have the help and courtesy of our dear friends.

I despise mice.

I have a rather grim update. Jimmy is alive and well so rest your laurels regarding that. My house however is not. After this incident the mice presence became rather prolific. We caved and called an exterminator to assess the problem and recommend a solution.

So, these are his words: "In the 23 years I've been doing this I have never seen an infestation of this magnitude. It is my professional guess/opinion that you have in the neighborhood 5000 mice living in every part of your house. This posses a very serious threat to your home and family. A threat that cannot be mediated with the use of conventional methods. You need full and immediate fumigation with a full closure and tent for no less than two weeks times. In other words, you need to vacate immediately and take nearly everything you have out of the house."

I'm at a loss. Jimmy is staying with my friend for the foreseeable future and we are without a home for at least a couple of weeks. We are blessed enough to have the help and courtesy of our dear friends.

I despise mice.

Very sorry to hear this, I thought it was going to be pretty bad, its very unfortunate that it is that bad.

Wow! That's unfortunate news. I am glad you had an option for your chameleon. I would be nervous about removing items from the house that might contain mice/babies. Do you have any care or cleaning you must do upon returning to deal with the chemicals? Will you have to deal with the smell of 5000 rotting mice upon your return? This is a nightmare for you, I'm sure.

Oh my gosh I'm so sorry to hear. Thankful Jimmy is ok, and that you and he have somewhere to go. I think not even our mouse problem was that bad. Good luck and hopefully this will work for you and you'll be mouse free for good.

I honestly haven't even bothered asking what the follow up measures to this whole process entail. The feeling I got was that I was going to be paying a fortune for all of this as it's likely to involve some demolition and reconstruction. Holding out high hope that the home owners insurance covers all of this.

Keep us updated! Good lord that's a proper nightmare... I'm so sorry that you and your family are going through this! All the best, and I really hope your insurance covers it!

Holy crap! 5000 mice! When it’s safe to go back home, you need to get some cats. Not sweet little lap cats...you need some tough as nails ferals.

is this like "if you see 1 roach on the floor, there are 500 more in the wall" ?
Yes I do believe that's the running theory and clearly seems to apply well to this case. I got Jimmy all set up at my friends house. I am so nervous that he won't receive the same standard of care I have been giving him. Jimmy is easily the hardiest chameleon I've ever had though so I think he could survive just fine for the month or so that I won't be able to have him in my immediate care.

This experience has only fortified my desire to switch him to an all glass terrarium. I plan on switching him over to the Exo-Terra x-large tall enclosure once we get settled back into our place. I think this will greatly mitigate the access any pests could ever have to him in the very unfortunate event something like this happens again. It will also allow me to more effectively control the humidity which I have been struggling with keeping in the sweet spot. I do plan on making it bio-active as well.

Thanks for the moral support guys. It's sincerely appreciated.

Yes I do believe that's the running theory and clearly seems to apply well to this case. I got Jimmy all set up at my friends house. I am so nervous that he won't receive the same standard of care I have been giving him. Jimmy is easily the hardiest chameleon I've ever had though so I think he could survive just fine for the month or so that I won't be able to have him in my immediate care.

This experience has only fortified my desire to switch him to an all glass terrarium. I plan on switching him over to the Exo-Terra x-large tall enclosure once we get settled back into our place. I think this will greatly mitigate the access any pests could ever have to him in the very unfortunate event something like this happens again. It will also allow me to more effectively control the humidity which I have been struggling with keeping in the sweet spot. I do plan on making it bio-active as well.

Thanks for the moral support guys. It's sincerely appreciated.

I went with a grow tent from marshydro. The slight down side is you have to have someone sew a Mylar sheet to it so you have a window. But with the tent now the sky is the limit, and its more or less a semi free range.

I got Jimmy all set up at my friends house. I am so nervous that he won't receive the same standard of care I have been giving him. Jimmy is easily the hardiest chameleon I've ever had though so I think he could survive just fine for the month or so that I won't be able to have him in my immediate care.
You know he had that big mouse meal so he should be fine on calories and fat soluble vitamins for quite a while.

I agree with the sentiments expressed earlier in the thread. Please do not use glue traps: they are barbaric and inhumane. They don't die quickly on those things, they can practically pull their skin off trying to escape, or dislodge and even chew their own limbs to escape. I hope you put the animals out of their misery once caught in those traps, @Sammy Grigio. These things should be outlawed, at least for vertebrate animals. At this point, traps are a band-aid solution if you indeed have that many mice. I wish you luck in your pest control endeavour.

Alright hear me out people...

Snap traps ON sticky traps! They chew off one set of legs ... get stuck... chew off the other set of legs.... then all they can do is spin in place and you can just go pick em up!
This is not funny. Sorry, I can't find the humour in an animal chewing its own paws off because it's so stressed out and desperate to survive.

Back
Top Bottom