A New Start

GrimsGal

Three months larger and a new cage!
I realize I am missing some things, all on order, but here is where we are so far.

Since moving, Grim has been doing all kinds of fun and interesting things! I had no idea what a little monkey he could be. Not only is he active, but he is very confident in his new space.

The water bowl was a complete accident! I needed something to catch the Lil Dripper's drippings, so grabbed my soup pot and inverted the lid. it collects the water thru the hole, he can't fall in, and has actually taken to going down twice a day to lay in it and get dripped on!

Thank you for viewing.

Attachments

• Anewstart.jpg
    Anewstart.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 196
  • Waterjug.jpg
    Waterjug.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 190
Hello GrimsGal,
And welcome to the forums.
Do you mind telling us a little bit about your set up and chameleon? Below is a great questionnaire that will help us learn more about Grim. I do not want to be the bearer of bad news, but I have a feeling Grim has a health concern that I will address after you fill out the below information. Thank you for your time.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

1. Can we get a pic of your whole cage?

2. Your chameleon has advanced Metabolic Bone Disease in his arm from what I can see in the picture. Have you had him checked out by a vet? What supplements/vitamins are you dusting his food with?

Thank YOU + an easily overlooked warning

I am so glad you pointed this out to me. A little more time and I realized something was indeed very wrong.
Warning to new owners! When you Upsize a cage, be SURE to Upsize the lighting!

I was using the same lighting I had when he was in a smaller cage, not even considering the distance the light had to travel! It got worse before it got better, hand feeding mushed food, water... ugh the agony for both of us really...

I purchased the T5 HO 5.0 UVB. Two weeks later he was feeding himself, walking to his water bowl. Today he is climbing the screen, hunting crickets and sitting by his dish waiting for his noshes in the afternoon.

Since his recovery I do not handle him, but he does come to the perch nearest the door to wait for his treats or while I change the water. He does climb over my arm when it is in his way or he needs a step up.

I want to thank you for posting - I had been looking up the wrong things to try to help him out only because in his smaller tank he had been so incredibly healthy I was at a complete loss.

BIGGER CAGE = BIGGER LIGHTING

ps. We will be moving within the next two weeks - once resituated pics will be posted and info collected

*heartbroken that I can't revert him back to 100%

Just to clarify... so you think he developed MBD because you did not upgrade his light when you changed his enclosure?

Many people on the forums use the same light no matter the cage size. Some people will upgrade to the 10.0 if the cage is 4 feet tall, but not all.

It is more likely that your bulb was old and that was a contributing factor to the MBD.

I hope everything is going on the upside. Lighting is key, but water is a close second. Do you have an automated misting system? How do you supply him with water? A drinking bowl is not a usual method for hydration.

I couldn't help but think of this when I read the title: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdhvw9rj3Dw

Back
Top Bottom