A little advice please?

Justontexas

Hi guys, I’m a first time chameleon owner, I just wanted to see what you guys thought about her enclosure and what I can do to improve on it to make it better for her, she’s a veiled chameleon, around 4-5 months old, I have a hard time reading her, seeing if anything is wrong or making uncomfortable, I often feed her crickets, waxworms and mealworms, and the little beetles i find in the mealworm cups, I’m working on getting her a variety of food like hornworms and dubia roach, I mist her cage as often as I can, and I’m also working on getting her a dripper or dripper plant and an automatic mister, she’s in a glass enclosure but has good ventilation since it has a mesh top and the sides have little holes that allow air to come in, I have a lil fan next to her cage on the lowest possible mode, please feel free to give me constructive criticism as it’ll help me improve myself and my chameleon’s enclosure, thank you for your time!! 6EA7D2B3-6529-4132-922D-2F19AEE297AE.jpeg r

Attachments

• 22C49975-2758-4682-A4B2-3BDC30FA4964.jpeg
    22C49975-2758-4682-A4B2-3BDC30FA4964.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 37F14E78-4019-4818-A2C6-9B7A028DA021.jpeg
    37F14E78-4019-4818-A2C6-9B7A028DA021.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 75
Hi guys, I’m a first time chameleon owner, I just wanted to see what you guys thought about her enclosure and what I can do to improve on it to make it better for her, she’s a veiled chameleon, around 4-5 months old, I have a hard time reading her, seeing if anything is wrong or making uncomfortable, I often feed her crickets, waxworms and mealworms, and the little beetles i find in the mealworm cups, I’m working on getting her a variety of food like hornworms and dubia roach, I mist her cage as often as I can, and I’m also working on getting her a dripper or dripper plant and an automatic mister, she’s in a glass enclosure but has good ventilation since it has a mesh top and the sides have little holes that allow air to come in, I have a lil fan next to her cage on the lowest possible mode, please feel free to give me constructive criticism as it’ll help me improve myself and my chameleon’s enclosure, thank you for your time!!View attachment 281472r
So, I’ll let others chime in here, but think, “more horizontal living space,” ie branches:

Here’s one of mine

Attachments

• B223FDE0-C36D-4594-9153-1CA6C7DEC020.jpeg
    B223FDE0-C36D-4594-9153-1CA6C7DEC020.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 81
  • D768FD7A-5AA9-4F4D-B81F-0FDBA3016F65.jpeg
    D768FD7A-5AA9-4F4D-B81F-0FDBA3016F65.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 82
Do you have any other things you might change?
Making supper right now, gimme an hour and in the meantime, fill out the following form:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

So, I’ll let others chime in here, but think, “more horizontal living space,” ie branches:
Do you have any other things you might chang
Making supper right now, gimme an hour and in the meantime, fill out the following form:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
She’s a Veiled Chameleon, female, I’m not sure about her actual age but I’ve had her for 4 months, she was pretty small when I got her
I handle her not too often as I don’t like stressing her
I feed her waxworms, mealworms, and crickets, and the little beetles in the mealworm cups, I give the crickets their food and the supplement for water that has vitamins in it
I use a misting bottle, I’m working on getting an automatic mister and dripper for her, I don’t see her drinking often though
Her feces is the usual, sometimes I see a little yellow but not often, when I do I double how much I mist her tank, which is normally 4 times through out the day

Shes in a glass tank 18wX24L
I’m currently not sure of the actual bulb names but they are in a deep dome, I turn her lights off right before i go to sleep and wake her up at 7 when I go to school and at 8 during weekends
I’m not sure how to check humidity but when I stick my hand it’s pretty humid, I use the misting as a way to keep it humid
I’m not using any live plants as of right now as I don’t know the requirements for one or the right ones for chameleons
The cage is placed in my room right next to my drawer and next to my fan which I keep at the lowest mode when I’m not using it to create airflow into her tank, while I’m working on something to get her higher off the ground, the top of the tank is currently 2.5ft off the floor
I’m currently located in Florida

She doesn’t show signs of weakness or anything and she gets more than 12 hours oF UVB
That is a good sign. But unfortunately, your uvb bulb is not sufficient for chamelons. You will need to switch to a reptisun t5Ho. Or an arcadia 6%. These are linear bulbs

Cage Info:
She’s a Veiled Chameleon, female, I’m not sure about her actual age but I’ve had her for 4 months, she was pretty small when I got her
I handle her not too often as I don’t like stressing her
I feed her waxworms, mealworms, and crickets, and the little beetles in the mealworm cups, Easy on the meal and waxworms. These are fatty, and the meal are an especially poor cHoice, as they are not very nutritious. Try crickets, roaches, silkworms, bsfl, flies, silkworms and hornworms. Your main staples will undoubtedly be crickets and roaches, and these should be constantly fed high calcium greens such a collard greens and dandelion leaves, and to a lesser extent ingredients such as squash, carrots and sweet potato...add the occasional piece of papaya, orange or apple. crickets their food and the supplement for water that has vitamins in it see my previous comment
I use a misting bottle, I’m working on getting an automatic mister and dripper for her, I don’t see her drinking often though
Her feces is the usual, sometimes I see a little yellow but not often, when I do I double how much I mist her tank, which is normally 4 times through out the day Get a dripper for the daytime, and try misting just before lights on, just after lights off, and right before you go to bed.

Shes in a glass tank 18wX24L Height?
I’m currently not sure of the actual bulb names but they are in a deep dome, I turn her lights off right before i go to sleep and wake her up at 7 when I go to school and at 8 during weekendsNo compromising here: get a timer. Also, whatever lights you have in your deep dome, you won’t be getting the uvb levels she needs. Please, as soon as you can, get a linear t5 ho fluorescent uvb bulb.
I’m not sure how to check humidity but when I stick my hand it’s pretty humid, I use the misting as a way to keep it humid Please get something to measure humidity. Daytime humidity can be lower (30-40%); nightime humidity should approach 100%.
I’m not using any live plants as of right now as I don’t know the requirements for one or the right ones for chameleons These will really help you. Pothos and ficus are cheap and easy. These will really help with your nightime humidity
The cage is placed in my room right next to my drawer and next to my fan which I keep at the lowest mode when I’m not using it to create airflow into her tank, while I’m working on something to get her higher off the ground, the top of the tank is currently 2.5ft off the floor
I’m currently located in Florida
Your picture leads me to think she’s not doing well. Also, you don’t say anything about her supplement schedule. Here’s an easy one: get “repashy calcium plus LoD” and dust your bugs with it at every feeding. Again, I’d say this can’t wait long, same with your uvb bulb.

One more thing, it might be the angle, but her belly looks a bit big. Do you have a lay bin prepared for her?

looking more closely, I’d strongly advise you to make a vet appointment.

Back
Top Bottom