A good or bad idea ?

VCMan

I just want to start by saying thanks for being so friendly :) and helpful. Second would this work a glass Enclosure with a bulb and a heat mat the heat mat on the floor wouldnt the hot air rise and warm the chameleon? also i am going to use some http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/jungle_vines.php not sure if its water proof thou oh well i go buy the other ones but still is it okay. Also i just got some spider ferns ill attach a pic but is it okay if i plant them in the enclosure instead of in a pot i would use coco husk not sure if it will grow but worth a shot. This is going to be my first time owning a chameleon. Will this substance hurt my chameleon

Attachments

• Spider fern.jpg
    Spider fern.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 131
What kind of glass enclosure are you using? Only very large exoterras can house chameleons(with an exception for pygmies) and you should not use substrate, only paper towels as they will shoot at the dirt and get impacted. What kind of chameleon are you getting?

Chameleons are adapted to basking in sun beams for their heat, which is why we provide a light bulb for heating. A heat mat is NOT recommended.

Some European members use a cocohusk substrate successfully. But it is the common recommendation of this forum to have no substrate.

Spider plants are generally considered safe. However they are not sturdy (no branches, just leaves) and thus do not provide a walking surface.

Well i didnt have a choice

its to cold for a flexirium im getting a veiled chameleon baby so i will change it to a bigger enclosure and the heat mat idea ?

no heat mat. an exoterra glass terrarium or other properly vented terrarium is totally fine for a baby veiled. screen is not always the answer :)

Here are some links that will give you lots of good information on how to care for a veiled chameleon:

Yes, no heat mat. Chameleons need a heat gradient within the enclosure. The basking area should be the warmest, at mid 80s to low 90s, and the floor should be the coolest, ambient temp of your house. Chameleons move between these areas to maintain proper body temps. A heat mat will heat the entire enclosure and that is not what you want to do. You just want to heat a small area near the top where a cham can go to heat up.

IMO you should just go with a 2x2x4 screen cage right off the bat. Veileds grow very fast and get pretty big. he will grow into the cage and you wont have to get a new one in the future.

Chameleons can take cold temperatures, some more than others. So when you say it is too cold, what kind of temps are we talking?

Anywhere from 15 degrees c to 0 degrees c Outside and inside without the heating in the winter in the summer a lot warmer

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom