A good gut load recipie

@JacksJill certain blenders do a great job. I invested in a ninja and it makes a perfect smoothie mix. They're expensive though. But we use it 1-2x a day so it's worth it. I prefer it over the food processor. I asked about freezing because it seemed like they were saying it was harmful in some way. Freezing and blending/processing reduces nutrients for sure, but that's why I think it's wise to add extra and a large variety. It'll surely make up for anything lost. I also do the paper towel method and smear it across. Any leftovers dry up rather than mold this way.

A variety of organic produce will easily surpass the nutrients they'd find in the wild(contrary to what many think here). I wouldn't worry too much. Veggies like watercress make a great staple green to.
What is the paper towel method?

I slice a section of gut load off the frozen log and put it in with the bugs. The paper towel absorbs the extra moisture and keeps the bugs from drowning in a puddle.

I've been thinking about using a frozen gutload too in addition to my cricket crack. I usually just do fresh but the idea of being able to prep it ahead of time is really appealing.

You do lose some nutrients to freezing but compared to not doing it because of the inconvenience makes it a no brainer. I can add variety that just won't store in the refrigerator for very long. The water soluble vitamins may suffer but not all are lost.

You do lose some nutrients to freezing but compared to not doing it because of the inconvenience makes it a no brainer. I can add variety that just won't store in the refrigerator for very long. The water soluble vitamins may suffer but not all are lost.

I know when I travel the boys don't take the same care I do to prepare a gutload. Frozen would be the perfect option for them, and those weeks where life is just crazy.

@JacksJill certain blenders do a great job. I invested in a ninja and it makes a perfect smoothie mix. They're expensive though.

I have two Ninjas (I was on a smoothie kick, don’t judge). They have a nice blender but also a cheaper one that is about $30. My kit came with 3 containers and the motor sits on top... so we use that for bug stuff and pop a lid on the container or freeze it in cheap silicon molds. I love Ninja stuff!!

For gutload we have 2 methods - 1 that is just fresh food and 1 where we mix in bug burger. The bug burger definitely helps the consistency and mold but I honestly dont think the bugs care one way or the other. We just put in enough that it will be eaten in a day or so.

We’ve been using collards, carrots, papaya, papaya seeds, a little green bean, spirulina and sometimes add bug burger. If you use bug burger prepare it as usual with slightly less water and then mix it in. If you are using molds you shouod work quickly. Next batch we make tomorrow will be collards, butternut squash, mango, spirulina, carrots and green beans.

We feed this plus an orange slice as our every day feed and then I over Repashy’s Superload and bee pollen right before feeding.

I have two Ninjas (I was on a smoothie kick, don’t judge). They have a nice blender but also a cheaper one that is about $30. My kit came with 3 containers and the motor sits on top... so we use that for bug stuff and pop a lid on the container or freeze it in cheap silicon molds. I love Ninja stuff!!

For gutload we have 2 methods - 1 that is just fresh food and 1 where we mix in bug burger. The bug burger definitely helps the consistency and mold but I honestly dont think the bugs care one way or the other. We just put in enough that it will be eaten in a day or so.

We’ve been using collards, carrots, papaya, papaya seeds, a little green bean, spirulina and sometimes add bug burger. If you use bug burger prepare it as usual with slightly less water and then mix it in. If you are using molds you shouod work quickly. Next batch we make tomorrow will be collards, butternut squash, mango, spirulina, carrots and green beans.

We feed this plus an orange slice as our every day feed and then I over Repashy’s Superload and bee pollen right before feeding.
Great advice I appreciate it that’s right on par with what I’ve been hearing that you should just mix it up add a little variety always then load in some bug burger and pour on rapashi calcium plus before feeding. I have a magic bullet blender I wonder if that would work as well?

I'm new to this hobby, but I base my frozen wet mixture on this...swapping different (but recommended) items in and out as available:

Yah I saw this as well, also I was told you can use this gelatin substitute called agar and it will keep the gut load wet and semi solid. I guess gelatin is bad for them.

Yah I saw this as well, also I was told you can use this gelatin substitute called agar and it will keep the gut load wet and semi solid. I guess gelatin is bad for them. And also use variety wanna mix it up as much as you can everytime you make a new smoothie like snitz was saying. I think I got a good idea now appreciate all the advice.

Back
Top Bottom