A good gut load recipie

Scottsquatch

Chameleon Enthusiast
I was wondering if anybody had a good recipie they could share for a blended frozen gut load. I want one with a nice consistency that doesnt thaw into a runny gooy mess, but keeps its shape somewhat. Thanks guys, I am getting tired of dealing with the fresh stuff so often. I wanna do a bunch up at once and freeze it.

If you want, you can add some kind of gelatin to the mix so that it keeps its shape. I have seen people do this before. I am not sure what effect the gelatin would have on the chameleon, though.

Yeah. I watched videos and looked at recipes of a gutload before I got my chameleon, but they all consisted of freezing the gutload and I thought, "Well its just going to melt, why would I do that?" and I just put fresh veggies and fruit in there because I am wary of putting gelatin in a mix. Freezing anything without gelatin or some other food-safe curing agent would obviously be a bad idea.

I actually store pretty much everything, seeds, pollen, some older veggies/fruit, frozen blended mix, and dry gutload in the freezer. Supplements go in the fridge and some other produce.

I wouldn't use the blender but a food processor so you get tiny 1mm chunks rather than a puree.
I use 1/3 - 1/2 of a butternut squash, a bunch of either mustard, kale or other low goitrogens greens, an apple or mango seeds removed,
juice of a lemon or orange, and a carrot or two. I try to vary the ingredients each time.
Feed it on a paper towel to reduce the juicy mess. I don't use any gelatin just because I don't need to.
This blog has good ingredients to try. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/feeder-nutrition-gutloading.75/
Yes, freezing reduces some kinds of the available nutrients but so does any storage over time. I just wouldn't make six months worth in a batch.

@JacksJill certain blenders do a great job. I invested in a ninja and it makes a perfect smoothie mix. They're expensive though. But we use it 1-2x a day so it's worth it. I prefer it over the food processor. I asked about freezing because it seemed like they were saying it was harmful in some way. Freezing and blending/processing reduces nutrients for sure, but that's why I think it's wise to add extra and a large variety. It'll surely make up for anything lost. I also do the paper towel method and smear it across. Any leftovers dry up rather than mold this way.

A variety of organic produce will easily surpass the nutrients they'd find in the wild(contrary to what many think here). I wouldn't worry too much. Veggies like watercress make a great staple green to.

I may be out of date but don't blenders require a certain amount of liquid to blend? My food processor doesn't need added liquid so that's why I use it.

@CamrynTheCham22 I've made blended mixes that I've then frozen in vacc bags. Still using them actually, why do you say they aren't safe?
I just thought it would be hard to feed it to the feeders because it would melt, but if you have a way that works by all means keep using it and please share! :)
I didn't mean to come across as if it wasn't safe. The paper towel method is smart.

I’ve seen those tv ads nutribullet brakes down cell was and allows us to take in things that normally pass through the body giving more nutrients. I have no clue if it’s the same for a cricket but there’s a few things to look into

don't use gelatin, gelatin is animal protein based, if you feel the need to gel it, use agar agar please.
Okay glad to have that clarification. I didn't want to fully suggest it because I was unsure about it, but I have never used it because of that uncertainty.

How much fresh are you feeding? I only feed a handful or two to each roach colony every day, unless it's farmer's market day and I cut it up before hand for a couple days to a week. The rest of their diet is dry gutload.

A handful a day. I think I just got out of the habit a little after my colonies froze. Now that I have a colony again, I need to do it again. I'll get back in the swing of it soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom