a few veiled breeding questions

serenitystarlite

Established Member
I'm almost afraid to post this because of the other thread, but I have a couple questions about breeding veileds that I hope will just be answered so I can decide whether or not to go through with this :D

I have done a TON of research and I read this forum daily but I'm still kind of uncertain, so I have a few questions.

Ok, here is the scenario. I have a veiled chameleon named Jasmine. She is right around 1 year old. I got her last August and she was really tiny, so I think she was probably born in July of last year. She laid 41 infertile eggs on May 30th. She was showing what I think were receptive colors this past week and I think the week before, so I think she's probably working on more eggs.

One of my friends who has kept and bred chameleons for years just got a male veiled on Thursday and we were talking about breeding them. His male is gorgeous. So the *possible* plan is for me to borrow his male for the weekend and breed him with Jasmine. Then when she lays her eggs, I will dig them up and give them to my friend to put in his incubator. He is going to raise the eggs and babies since I have no experience with eggs or newborns and he does (of course I'll help him with anything he needs, but he shouldn't really need much of anything, I'll just want to see my grand-babies hatching lol).

I'm a little nervous and I don't want to stress Jasmine out or do anything wrong to hurt her. I guess my biggest question is the timing. She's at least a year old, so from what I've gathered she's old enough. If she laid eggs at the end of May and this will be her 2nd clutch, is it too soon to breed her or is now a good time? I've read that veileds will sometimes fight before they breed. How much is too much? I will obviously separate them if they're really hurting each other, but I'm worried that I won't know for sure. I don't want to keep trying if it's too late or if she really just doesn't like him.

Has anyone done this type of "stud service" breeding before? The other thing I'm worried about is stressing out the male since he's new to my friend and has a new cage. Is this too stressful to do to a male?

I feel comfortable with her laying the eggs, especially because I'll have to deal with it again regardless of if they're fertile or not. I'm just worried about the actual mating itself. Is this whole thing a bad idea? Input please and thank you :)

I'm almost afraid to post this because of the other thread, but I have a couple questions about breeding veileds that I hope will just be answered so I can decide whether or not to go through with this :D

I have done a TON of research and I read this forum daily but I'm still kind of uncertain though, so I have a few questions.

Ok, here is the scenario. I have a veiled chameleon named Jasmine. She is right around 1 year old. I got her last August and she was really tiny, so I think she was probably born in July of last year. She laid 41 infertile eggs on May 30th. She was showing what I think were receptive colors this past week and I think the week before, so I think she's probably working on more eggs.

One of my friends who has kept and bred chameleons for years just got a male veiled on Thursday and we were talking about breeding them. His male is gorgeous. So the *possible* plan is for me to borrow his male for the weekend and breed him with Jasmine. Then when she lays her eggs, I will dig them up and give them to my friend to put in his incubator. He is going to raise the eggs and babies since I have no experience with eggs or newborns and he does (of course I'll help him with anything he needs, but he shouldn't really need much of anything, I'll just want to see my grand-babies hatching lol).

I'm a little nervous and I don't want to stress Jasmine out or do anything wrong to hurt her. I guess my biggest question is the timing. She's at least a year old, so from what I've gathered she's old enough. If she laid eggs at the end of May and this will be her 2nd clutch, is it too soon to breed her or is now a good time? I've read that veileds will sometimes fight before they breed. How much is too much? I will obviously separate them if they're really hurting each other, but I'm worried that I won't know for sure. I don't want to keep trying if it's too late or if she really just doesn't like him.

Has anyone done this type of "stud service" breeding before? The other thing I'm worried about is stressing out the male since he's new to my friend and has a new cage. Is this too stressful to do to a male?

I feel comfortable with her laying the eggs, especially because I'll have to deal with it again regardless of if they're fertile or not. I'm just worried about the actual mating itself. Is this whole thing a bad idea? Input please and thank you :)

Hi, if I were you I would have the male be quarentined for a while... it might be harbouring disease, you don't want your female to get sick! mine is currently receptive! I never thought of find a local breeder to help me with incubation and care for the chams. some guy in my town offered an incubator for me ill incubate but i would need help for raising them to get the gist of it :) just an idea so far! :) mine was born in August. :) so she is about ready to breed :)

yup, you don't want any parasites or disease to come over Jasmine? and her hatchlings, or deformities if its possible..

Good point, that was another thing I thought of right after I posted this. I'll wait and I could get a fecal done on him as well in the meantime. I'll talk to my friend tomorrow and get some more information about where he got this male. This is why I posted looking for some advice instead of going ahead and just taking the cham for the weekend :eek: :)

Good point, that was another thing I thought of right after I posted this. I'll wait and I could get a fecal done on him as well in the meantime. I'll talk to my friend tomorrow and get some more information about where he got this male. This is why I posted looking for some advice instead of going ahead and just taking the cham for the weekend :eek: :)

well i hope that everything works out for you :) and im sure he will be a healthy green giant :D

Can anyone add any input about the actual mating? Even if I wait until I confirm that his male is healthy and free of any illnesses, I'll still have the same questions/concerns :eek:

well i hope that everything works out for you :) and im sure he will be a healthy green giant :D
dude you are awesome i love your sunny disposition. I don't have to much info on breeding seeing as i havent started myself but i am sure willing to learn acouple of things in this thread.

I just saw the q's on the bottom so...

The male will love this exp, I would not worry about him being stressed. :rolleyes: They should not fight before breeding, if they try to fight usually she is not receptive, try 2-3 days later. Sometimes the male can be very rough with the female while breeding. ALWAYS STAY VERY CLOSE THE ENTIRE TIME THEY ARE TOGETHER. Good luck! I like to feed and water my female more before they bread and until she lays because it is obviously needed.

I have done a TON of research and I read this forum daily but I'm still kind of uncertain, so I have a few questions.

"Borrowing" a nice male is the perfect thing to do when you don't want to keep one. I would let him settle in for a few weeks, get a fecal, and make sure he is nice and healthy.

As far as your female- Did she have any issues with her last clutch? Is she a nice healthy weight? If so-then by the time the male settles in, and is already to go, you will know if she is working on a second clutch. If not-you can introduce.

There really should be no fighting. If the female is ready she will just sit there nice and pretty while the psycho male goes nutso! :) It may seem a little rough, but there should be no biting from either party. If she gapes or hisses, tries to bite or turns black, remove her and try at a later time.

Remember-there is always a risk of loss when breeding females. They can become eggbound or have numerous other egg laying issues such as proplapse. Weigh your reasons for wanting to breed her. If you can't face a potential loss, then think about restricting her food intake and lowering her temps to reduce the egg-risk.

dude you are awesome i love your sunny disposition. I don't have to much info on breeding seeing as i havent started myself but i am sure willing to learn acouple of things in this thread.

haha thank you :) you are awesome too! It was right out of her cage! I am trying to take a pic of her now but my "new" batteries are dieing and i just got them a day and a half ago! its p****** me off! she looks gravid! shes HUGE!

"Borrowing" a nice male is the perfect thing to do when you don't want to keep one. I would let him settle in for a few weeks, get a fecal, and make sure he is nice and healthy.

As far as your female- Did she have any issues with her last clutch? Is she a nice healthy weight? If so-then by the time the male settles in, and is already to go, you will know if she is working on a second clutch. If not-you can introduce.

There really should be no fighting. If the female is ready she will just sit there nice and pretty while the psycho male goes nutso! :) It may seem a little rough, but there should be no biting from either party. If she gapes or hisses, tries to bite or turns black, remove her and try at a later time.

Remember-there is always a risk of loss when breeding females. They can become eggbound or have numerous other egg laying issues such as proplapse. Weigh your reasons for wanting to breed her. If you can't face a potential loss, then think about restricting her food intake and lowering her temps to reduce the egg-risk.

Thanks for the input! When I mentioned "fighting," I was referring to the mating being rough with her while breeding. My friend told me that he thinks I'll think he's hurting her when they're mating and stop them. So I guess that's what I was questioning. So you're saying is that if she fights with him and tries to get away then that's when I need to separate them but if she doesn't, then leave them be even if it looks like he's hurting her? Luckily they are about the same size and have similar personalities, so to me they seem like a good pairing. He's a little bigger, but she's a little thicker.

She is very healthy and I feel like she's a good candidate for breeding. I tried lowering her temps and feeding her less to slow the eggs down in the first place, but it gets a little hotter than I would like it during the summer since I'm on the upstairs floor, even with ac. Another reason I think she is cycling eggs now is because she can sometimes see my male panther chameleon. There was a towel hanging in between their cages, but it sagged in the middle and I've caught him sitting there at the gap a couple times which I think made her turn all kinds of colors. I put another ziptie in the middle to hold it up, but I'm not sure how long that was going on before I caught it and realized what was happening.

She dug for a long time with her first clutch but it seemed to go really smoothly once I had her in a big enough bin. The first one was too shallow. She laid 41 eggs the first time. How many can she lay if they are fertile, is there a big difference?

Thanks, I appreciate the info :)

I just saw the q's on the bottom so...

The male will love this exp, I would not worry about him being stressed. :rolleyes: They should not fight before breeding, if they try to fight usually she is not receptive, try 2-3 days later. Sometimes the male can be very rough with the female while breeding. ALWAYS STAY VERY CLOSE THE ENTIRE TIME THEY ARE TOGETHER. Good luck! I like to feed and water my female more before they bread and until she lays because it is obviously needed.

And thanks as well, I would definitely keep an eye on them just to make sure, although I feel weird watching haha. I'll try to think of it as an educational experience lol. I guess I was just worried about the male going to a new home and then going somewhere else but you're probably right, he would love being here as long as Jasmine doesn't try to bite his head off :eek:

You got a lot of good info.

I also would like to answer your last question. You said your female laid 41 infertile eggs. Well Clea laid exactly 41 fertile eggs:) BUT some female can lay from 30-80 fertile eggs. Most of the time it stays in the 30-60 range if i am correct

My last two chameleons to lay eggs did over one-hundred and forty (140) eggs with one doing seventy-six. I mated mine early in their lives. Mine were born mid October 2009 and each has had a clutch and two, two clutches. Each clutch has been over fifty. I dispose of the eggs as I soon realized that finding homes for the animals would be time consuming with little chance of selling them all. Unless you can devote lots of time and money to rearing them then I would think about your options carefully. Rearing them is difficult and the food they need cant usually be found at a local shop. At about six months (of age) most will require separate vivariums.

My last two chameleons to lay eggs did over one-hundred and forty (140) eggs with one doing seventy-six. I mated mine early in their lives. Mine were born mid October 2009 and each has had a clutch and two, two clutches. Each clutch has been over fifty. I dispose of the eggs as I soon realized that finding homes for the animals would be time consuming with little chance of selling them all. Unless you can devote lots of time and money to rearing them then I would think about your options carefully. Rearing them is difficult and the food they need cant usually be found at a local shop. At about six months (of age) most will require separate vivariums.

The whole point and reason behind breeding her with my friend's chameleon is because he wants the eggs and the babies. Once they're laid, he is taking full responsibility because he is an experienced breeder and I am not, which I said already :)

Why did you mate them so early? I thought it was better to wait until they were at least a year old.

why even mate them if your just goin to throw away the fertile eggs?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom