A few questions

Panther678

Is this forum free?
Ok so about enclosures I like in the uk so keeping heat and humidity up would be impossible in a mesh enclosure and I understand glass isnt good for ventilation. So there are these wooden vivarium that have ventilation on the back and would be good to keep heat and humidity in. Would these be ok also I have heard that you can only use live plants as chemelons eat plants and the plastic and slick plants can kill them if ingested. I plan on getting my chemelon in 2 years and will most likely be getting a panther or veilded chemelon. Thankyou

Hi, welcome to the group and yes it's free. Just a few quick thoughts, you can keep the heat and humidity up with a mesh enclosure if you line the sides and back properly. A glass enclosure can also be used if you provide adequate ventilation to it and sometimes using a small computer fan for example to draw air in but glass enclosures usually aren't big enough especially if you have a Veiled Cham. We definitely recommend lives plants because if they break a piece off of a plastic one and they were to swallow it then it can cause impaction and your Cham would get sick. I'm sure a few other more experienced Cham enthusiast will way in here. :)

P.S. if you haven't yet. Check out our resources tabs. It should provide you with information about plants, gut loading, feeders etc.

Hi also I know this isnt good but a chemelon will be my first reptile however I have done extensive research on many types of reptiles and have 2 years to prepare. Also I have 4 budgies and a parrot and 2 fish and had a rabbit more fish and many insects. I have always properly cared for all my animals and always proratise them over everything else. When I do get a chemelon I will make sure everything that it requires will be provided.

Is this forum free?
Ok so about enclosures I like in the uk so keeping heat and humidity up would be impossible in a mesh enclosure and I understand glass isnt good for ventilation. So there are these wooden vivarium that have ventilation on the back and would be good to keep heat and humidity in. Would these be ok also I have heard that you can only use live plants as chemelons eat plants and the plastic and slick plants can kill them if ingested. I plan on getting my chemelon in 2 years and will most likely be getting a panther or veilded chemelon. Thankyou
I wish we could charge for our time here some of us would be rich lol. Check out this resource www.chameleonacademy.com

Hi also I know this isnt good but a chemelon will be my first reptile however I have done extensive research on many types of reptiles and have 2 years to prepare. Also I have 4 budgies and a parrot and 2 fish and had a rabbit more fish and many insects. I have always properly cared for all my animals and always proratise them over everything else. When I do get a chemelon I will make sure everything that it requires will be provided.
Ehhhhh my 1st one was my very first reptile. As long as you provide correct husbandry it can be done without having prior reptile experience.

Also I know this may cause a debate but do you think a beginner can get a panther chemelon I heard that they arent that hardy and can get sick quite easily. I don't know how true this is also because I'm in the uk it says they need higher humidity levels and this is hard to achieve as well as heat at night. Here in winter inside it can get very low like 10 Celsius but in summer it's not a problem. Thanks for all the advice and links thank you all.

Also I know this may cause a debate but do you think a beginner can get a panther chemelon I heard that they arent that hardy and can get sick quite easily. I don't know how true this is also because I'm in the uk it says they need higher humidity levels and this is hard to achieve as well as heat at night. Here in winter inside it can get very low like 10 Celsius but in summer it's not a problem. Thanks for all the advice and links thank you all.
Are you planning on keeping it outside?

It can absolutely be done.... Get a temp/humidity guage for your home. See what your ambient levels are.
Take a look at this. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/care-sheet-Panther-Chameleon-022020.pdf
It may mean adding a room heater in winter to get temps up to 60.

However it depends on how cold our winter gets inside it can be anywhere from 11c to 15c at night in winter obviously it would be a little warmer in the cage. I checked the temperature in Madagascar and it gets this cold there as well so mabye he will be fine. Or I might have to get night time heating.

I live in the uk and was very surprised at the humidity levels when I first got my hygrometer. I have a screened cage and am trying to dehumidify during the day at the minute due to the plants and general humidity levels.

I live in the uk and was very surprised at the humidity levels when I first got my hygrometer. I have a screened cage and am trying to dehumidify during the day at the minute due to the plants and general humidity levels.
My house is pretty dry compared to other houses. But mabye it might be like that when I get mine how do you find managing the heat especially at night in a mesh enclosure. Also if I buy my plants from a trusted reptile shop there is no need to wash or replant them right.

I’m no expert like some people on here. I’m new to the Cham world too and like many learning as I go.
I find might time temps fine at the minute and although it is starting to get cooler the cage won’t get too cold providing you have your central heating on at night time. I’m not sure on other people’s opinions but I would still wash them even just to get the dust off. I made mine into a bioactive so I had to replant them anyway and some of the pots weren’t suitable for me to hang so I had to repot them.

I’m no expert like some people on here. I’m new to the Cham world too and like many learning as I go.
I find might time temps fine at the minute and although it is starting to get cooler the cage won’t get too cold providing you have your central heating on at night time. I’m not sure on other people’s opinions but I would still wash them even just to get the dust off. I made mine into a bioactive so I had to replant them anyway and some of the pots weren’t suitable for me to hang so I had to repot them.
Ok thanks for the advice I plan on getting mine in a 2 years or so after doing extensive reserch. Talking of night temps how cold can it get before problems emerge. I might just get a mesh enclosure then as I herad ventilation is necessary to prevent respiratory problems.

Ok thanks for the advice I plan on getting mine in a 2 years or so after doing extensive reserch. Talking of night temps how cold can it get before problems emerge. I might just get a mesh enclosure then as I herad ventilation is necessary to prevent respiratory problems.
ehhhhhh per the mesh enclosure. If it is set up correctly you can do a hybrid style but the key is being able to get the chimney effect where say the bottom service door and top are screen... This pulls air up in and out the top.

ehhhhhh per the mesh enclosure. If it is set up correctly you can do a hybrid style but the key is being able to get the chimney effect where say the bottom service door and top are screen... This pulls air up in and out the top.
What about the links I put about the virariums would that be insufficient ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom