A different way to "hand" feed

jajeanpierre

Chameleon Enthusiast
Today I took one of my newly imported young male T. q. graciliors outside to try to get a picture of his remarkably blue cheeks. I had him on a flowering Lily of the Nile and he snapped up a few little flies that were pollinating the flowers. When he started to get a little overheated, I put him on my hand and was about to walk him in the house when I noticed he has spotted a fly. Every so slowly I moved him over to the fly and he snapped it up! It really surprised me that he would snap up a fly while sitting on my hand. He was imported May 4th of this year--he's not too fond of humanity.

20160529_140937.jpg

He is an awesome looking little guy! My female veiled will hand feed like a hog, but she still is apprehensive when she is on me and I try and feed. What is the lil' fellows name?

He is an awesome looking little guy! My female veiled will hand feed like a hog, but she still is apprehensive when she is on me and I try and feed. What is the lil' fellows name?

He has no name--just #1 Male (#1 from this latest import). I'm terrible about naming them. (The hospital wouldn't let me take home my first baby until I named him and it took me a good five days to come up with a name.) I used to think some of the Panther names breeders gave them were really stupid until I named one of my beautiful graciliors Goldilocks. What a dumb name, but he just looked like a Goldilocks to me, so Goldilocks it became.

Today I took one of my newly imported young male T. q. graciliors outside to try to get a picture of his remarkably blue cheeks. I had him on a flowering Lily of the Nile and he snapped up a few little flies that were pollinating the flowers. When he started to get a little overheated, I put him on my hand and was about to walk him in the house when I noticed he has spotted a fly. Every so slowly I moved him over to the fly and he snapped it up! It really surprised me that he would snap up a fly while sitting on my hand. He was imported May 4th of this year--he's not too fond of humanity.

View attachment 158834
I have a young veiled chameleon, I am very fortunate that Simon will eat while sitting in one hand while I hold food (almost anything) in the other. He is my first (my son has had numerous lizards since he was 8, and I'm a marine biologist) but he is my first. I'm amazed at how quickly he bonded with me, as he's not fond of my husband or sons. Yours is beautiful, congrats on the accomplishment.

View attachment 158834
He's beautiful. How lucky to have him trust you so quickly that he eats while on your hand.

Not so much trusting; he was just an emaciated little wild caught newly imported. Here's a picture of him, Erik, the end of January. He's also my Avatar. He shows his blues when relaxed.
View attachment 178731
I'm new to the chameleon lifestyle, my Simon is my first and he's a veiled, I posted earlier in the health thread about him, what type is he. He's absolutely beautiful.

I'm new to the chameleon lifestyle, my Simon is my first and he's a veiled, I posted earlier in the health thread about him, what type is he. He's absolutely beautiful.

Welcome to the world of chameleons. Are you asking what species Erik is? Erik is a Trioceros quadricornis gracilior. They are native to the mountains of Cameroon in West Africa.

Is Simon ill? I'll see if I can find the thread.

1. He is gorgeous and if he doesn't have a name I should tell you he strikes me as a Toby or Ben.
2. Tony has done that before too. Once I saw him spot a cricket on the wall right before you walk in the house so I bought him close and he snapped it up (last summer) and then the other day (sometimes I like to feed outside to give him the true hunting experience) I placed and island roach on his hibiscus and tried to set him at the bottom so he could climb up and search for it. But before I could he held on to my fingers and snapped up that island roach before I could be grossed out about it lol.
3. Also you got your Cham in May of this year? Can you time travel? Haha.

Is that a mango tree that hunk is sitting in?

Good eyes!

My husband insists on growing things where they don't belong so we have several mango trees that were developed specifically to do well in pots. We lived eight years in the US Virgin Islands and he used to pick his own mangoes from the many abandoned orchards around the island. No store-bought mango can ever compare to one fresh off the tree nor do the stores stock the really tasty varieties. It's been a fight to get them to fruit and then a fight to keep them safe from the squirrels, raccoons an opossums. He also has about four or five different bananas that are supposed to do well in my climate but of course don't. I've been nursing them for years and really just want to make them into compost for something truly useful like black soldier flies. I did manage stop him from trying to grow loganberries and raspberries in Saudi Arabia. There were many heated battles over that!

1. He is gorgeous and if he doesn't have a name I should tell you he strikes me as a Toby or Ben.
2. Tony has done that before too. Once I saw him spot a cricket on the wall right before you walk in the house so I bought him close and he snapped it up (last summer) and then the other day (sometimes I like to feed outside to give him the true hunting experience) I placed and island roach on his hibiscus and tried to set him at the bottom so he could climb up and search for it. But before I could he held on to my fingers and snapped up that island roach before I could be grossed out about it lol.
3. Also you got your Cham in May of this year? Can you time travel? Haha.

No time travel!--It's an old thread that someone commented on so they made it new again. Erik was imported last May. Since that picture showed him as such an emaciated ratty little boy, I thought I would show everyone how big, fat and pretty he became. He's also got two or three clutches in the incubator from other wild caught females. Today, there are only three different unrelated bloodlines of that species in the US right now. Only three. The second and third bloodlines consist of single clutches that are 4 months old and 4 days old respectively, so Erik surviving import and reproducing is a really really big deal for the species since there are likely no more imports coming in, possibly ever.

I named him Erik, which is a name similar to aToby or a Ben isn't it?

No time travel!--It's an old thread that someone commented on so they made it new again. Erik was imported last May. Since that picture showed him as such an emaciated ratty little boy, I thought I would show everyone how big, fat and pretty he became. He's also got two or three clutches in the incubator from other wild caught females. Today, there are only three different unrelated bloodlines of that species in the US right now. Only three. The second and third bloodlines consist of single clutches that are 4 months old and 4 days old respectively, so Erik surviving import and reproducing is a really really big deal for the species since there are likely no more imports coming in, possibly ever.

I named him Erik, which is a name similar to aToby or a Ben isn't it?

Woa. Congratulations Erik on fatherhood! Also Erik is a very good name. Haha then I apologize for thinking you had time travel skills. He is very handsome though, I hope this species continues to thrive under your watch!

Welcome to the world of chameleons. Are you asking what species Erik is? Erik is a Trioceros quadricornis gracilior. They are native to the mountains of Cameroon in West Africa.

Is Simon ill? I'll see if I can find the thread.
Yes on both, Erik is beautiful, and thanks for the welcome. Simon has been shedding a lot.... for the last 4-5 months, I thought it was because he was young and growing so quickly, but his last shed has been going on forever, it's like he just can't get all the old skin off before it starts again.

Back
Top Bottom