A cricket that shows promise

Persnickety Parson's

Chameleon Enthusiast
I purchased some banded crickets(Gryllodes sigillatus) from Josh's Frogs, and in actually impressed with them, I still treat them with the same caution that crickets are due but they are growing on me.

The biggest selling point, they are quiet guys, unfortunately since I'm not breeding them, I can't attest to the other qualities such as ease of care or less smell, but research on them seems to indicate that they are better than the typical house cricket(Acheta domesticus) that is widely used.

I am unsure about their aggression levels towards feeders, however so I remove uneaten crickets just to be safe, after losing a hatching to ravenous house crickets, I'm not taking chances.

0709201416e~2.jpg
0709201416g~2.jpg

So if your not thrilled with crickets these guys maybe worth a shot,

You're late to the party! banded crickets have been the way to go for a while now. Was a thread about it a while back regarding the smell and die off, there's practically none. I've also had them live in my cages without ever causing harm to anything.

When you come home to see one of your prized hatchlings getting eaten alive, id like to think you'd stay away from crickets for awhile too.

That said I'm glad this cricket seems to be a new star. I will be getting more.

When you come home to see one of your prized hatchlings getting eaten alive, id like to think you'd stay away from crickets for awhile too.

That said I'm glad this cricket seems to be a new star. I will be getting more.

Oh absolutely, don't blame you at all. I'd want to light them all on fire. Blows my mind when people are okay with crickets, but not roaches

I hate banded crickets too. Theyre the only kind i have ever had (with the exception of the small black ones i just had for the first time) and to me they are noisy. They keep me up at night in my beardies tank, and they stink.
The only plus side, IN MY OWN OPINION, is that they stay alive longer.

But to each their own. ?
I much prefer a roach or a silk to a cricket any day!

In a perfect world, you would have a mix, so the bandeds would be hiding at the top of the tank, the house crickets at the bottom, then we just need to find one that hangs out on plants/sticks :)

Makes me think of a '50s B&W giant insect movie produced by Burt I Gordon, and starring Peter Graves (or William Hopper)...
But there is no such movie involving giant crickets. Several with giant grasshoppers/locusts, but no crickets! "Why is that?" (He mused to himself... :unsure:)
I've seen:
Ants​
Flies​
Wasps​
Moths​
Bees​
Cockroaches​
Arachnids​
Spiders​
Tarantulas​
Scorpions​
Ticks​
...but no Mites?​
Beetles​
Praying Mantis​
Mosquitos​
Leeches​
Worms​
Centipedes​
Slugs​
...not including the various alien bugs.​

I guess the closest is 1997's BUGGED! but does that really count? :unsure:
AHA! I found one... THE UNBORN (2009) used Jerusalem crickets, but not GIANT ones. :rolleyes:

...But I digress... :oops:

Problem now is that Josh's is having a run on the banded crickets so they're very often out of the larger quantities (Ie lower priced) ones. Upside is that they live for months and don't stink and are quiet! Good luck.

I hate banded crickets too. Theyre the only kind i have ever had (with the exception of the small black ones i just had for the first time) and to me they are noisy. They keep me up at night in my beardies tank, and they stink.
The only plus side, IN MY OWN OPINION, is that they stay alive longer.

But to each their own. ?
I much prefer a roach or a silk to a cricket any day!

Compared to the house cricket, the bandeds are nearly silent.

Just for giggles, go to petsmart/petco and buy a dozen of the large crickets and see the difference.

I too prefer roaches over crickets, but right now I share the house with people whom are afraid of them. So compromise is the order of the day.

@Klyde O'Scope

I'm surprised mole crickets haven't been used, they even fly. Perfect B movie material

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom