9.5 month eggs going bad?

peacenlove

So in January my Nosey be female laid 31 eggs a couple went bad from the start but the rest all looked great, I keep them at temps 70-75 cooler at night and warmer in the day, humidity is perfect not to much not to less. at the 9 month mark I started noticing some changes, one egg at a time would start to sweat. Of course I was thrilled but after 3-4 days of sweating in just little spots I didn't see any progress no windows no shrinking but what I did notice is the egg started to mold after wiping off the mold I was able to stop it but then the egg started to turn yellow and had some very dark yellow spots on it then it shriveled up when I cut it open there was nothing recognizable inside, I figure after 9 months I should be able to tell what it was. Since this is my first clutch I don't have much experience with incubation process other then what I've read online and in books and heard from other breeders so I figured it was just one bad egg, but slowly all my eggs are starting to do it. I have lost 4 eggs and two are sweating right now and I'm worried they will turn out the same. Has this happened to anyone else? I would love all the advice I can get I don't want to loose this clutch I have thought of the possibility of my Nosey be female not having enough calcium at the time she laid and it could have caused issues but i would have assumed they wouldn't have stayed so good for so long.

Any advice or answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Here are some pictures the one at the end is what it looks like when it starts sweating these are two different eggs the one just sweating is a pic i took today and the other pics was from my last egg a week ago.

20130722_222536.jpg
Top of the egg

20130722_222540.jpg
Side

20130722_222533.jpg
The bottom had shriveled up
20130722_222815.jpg

20130722_222941.jpg
When I cut it open

Did you ever candle them and see blood vessels? If they were laid in January can't they only be 8 months old btw?

Oh my you are right! they are almost 9 months -_- I don't know why I thought it was there 9 month mark, I haven't handled them i'm afraid to candle the eggs. They have doubled in size since they were laid I have a clutch that was laid in april and its half the size of these eggs, and these eggs have little lines or stretch marks, if that helps at all

I'm actually at the same point as you! I'm waiting on my first clutch that was laid in January too! That's why I mentioned how old they are - you scared me at first that I was off on my count. I've candled mine without having to move them at all. You can just shine the light through the top without moving them from where they sit. It might be a good idea to candle the rest to see if you see any vessels or if all the eggs just look empty yellow inside. That's about all the advice that I have though since I haven't had any hatch yet either.

I'm actually at the same point as you! I'm waiting on my first clutch that was laid in January too! That's why I mentioned how old they are - you scared me at first that I was off on my count. I've candled mine without having to move them at all. You can just shine the light through the top without moving them from where they sit. It might be a good idea to candle the rest to see if you see any vessels or if all the eggs just look empty yellow inside. That's about all the advice that I have though since I haven't had any hatch yet either.

honestly I have shinned a light through them and it feels like there just empty to me.. I just cant understand how eggs could incubate so long with nothing inside but I guess its possible :( im bummed because I have two clutches from this female and im pretty sure there both bad.. i wonder if its just my female. I guess only time will tell

Don't give up!! If the eggs still look good just leave them alone. Maybe they are just slow growers.

Don't give up!! If the eggs still look good just leave them alone. Maybe they are just slow growers.

I'm leaving them alone and only throw them away when they mold over and i will try my hardest to save them even once they hit that point i am down to 17 out of 28 so kind of bummed :( even if one makes it i will be happy. i candled all the eggs and saw nothing inside of them i dont understand how the eggs could possibly be so old be growing and have nothing inside, but it hit me they were laid in the winter so the temps where cooler and i read that when u give them 3 months cooler temps and warm them up they stay suspended in the same state. we had a long winter and they were just in a cupboard so maybe they stayed in a suspended for more then 3 months before the temps gave them time to warm up, and that would explain why some would be going bad now and i would have quite a few months to go. sort of a hypothesis to this issue, altho the eggs will start to sweat and window then mold over and die.. so i have no idea what i have done wrong or whats going on :( also i did notice a little bug on my other clutch like a little beetle/ mite looking bug on a egg i could see it so it wasn't microscopic but still worries me i couldn't get it out and i didn't see any others but it could have also been a small spider. ugh -_- i am buying a exo terra incubator for sure next time! this was horrible

The opened egg appears to have an embryo inside. The dark spot is typically the eye, and there is pink rather than just yellow.

Most likely it died before full term, then the egg eventually molded.

Hatching Eggs

Sorry to hear some of the eggs either going bad or not getting fertilized. I had a few like that at 10 months old. It looked like the biggest egg of the batch but instead it was only getting bigger from a build up of gas. Since it was one of the last eggs out of 61 with 55 hatching I decided to cut it open and it just popped like a balloon. I was not expecting that at all. All of the good eggs ended developing a dark spot or eye as someone else mentioned. At first I was not sure if this was rot or not. I let it takes its course and this dark spot became the point that the baby chameleons would eventually break through. I think leaving them alone is best as the eggs that are good should eventually develop this spot for the little ones to break through. I have some images you can look at to compare. I hope this helps a little.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/breeding-history-graceful-chameleon-part-2-a-117685/#post1045833

Terry

All of the good eggs ended developing a dark spot or eye as someone else mentioned.

Terry

What I was referring to is not visible on the egg. It is on the pink matter inside. The pink is the partially formed embryo, with the dark spot being the eye.

If you open an egg and all you see is yellow, it is infertile. If you open one and you see any pink at all, it was fertile but did not go to full term for one reason or another.

Sorry for my confusion. I understand now. The only thing I can think of that would cause that is temperatures, water conditions or eggs being moved (rotated). I am so sorry to hear that this is occurring.

Terry

The opened egg appears to have an embryo inside. The dark spot is typically the eye, and there is pink rather than just yellow.

Most likely it died before full term, then the egg eventually molded.

I can see the embryo too, you can actually see it's tiny legs sticking out.

thank you for the response, what i think is going on is im in utah and the eggs were laid in the winter i read that for the first 3-4 months in cold temps they stay in diapose and then start to develop, my guess is because of that my eggs are going to take longer to develop? I know they are fertile there just not going full term. im breeding my female again this fall and we will see if it happens again ill be buying a nice incubator to help keep temps regular.

Back
Top Bottom