8month old male veiled cham not drinking water

You are on the right path. A good idea is to get normal temp and humidity readings in the room so you know what to adjust. I like seeing people make the effort. Sometimes it can get overwhelming, especially if somebody gets a chameleon and is given improper info. I also have a site with a lot of good beginner info. Stay at it and don't panic. he looks very good so take a minuet to gather your thoughts as to where your money is best spent first. This is a very individual thing. Ask around for plant cuttings and grow your own. Maybe some one has an AC you could pick up cheap. You will need these things but you don't need to rush out and spend a fortune. I would priorities proper UVB lighting. This can cause harm even in a relatively short period of time just a few months depending on how they were kept prior, maybe even less if they have already been under poor lighting.

My feedback is in red, I've attached helpful links and images at the end:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male veiled cham 8 months , had it for a month .
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I handle him about 1 time every 2 days Why is that? Do you take him anyplace as enrichment?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I feed him crickets about 7 sparsely through ou the day . I gut load them with the zoo med cricket care You want to feed in the morning, preferably around an hour after lights come on. You're going to want a better gutload, I've attached a gutload chart below. I've also attached a feeder chart, as variety is best for gutload ingredients and types of bugs! You're also going to need to start feeding him less, as well.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I usually dust my crickets with repti calcium from zoo med Is it with or without D3? You need a phosphorus-free calcium without D3 to use every feeding, except for once per week. On that one day per week, you'll alternate weekly between a phosphorus-free calcium with D3 and a multivitamin without D3 (like Zoo Med Reptivite Without D3), so that each is used once every two weeks.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? I would hand mist about 5 times a day but now I know not to . I would mist for 3-4 minutes
  • Do you see your chameleon drinking? Not today but other days yes
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Poop is usually brown not slimmy and no he hasn't gotten tested although I need to Where in Texas do you live (we can help you find a good vet)?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
I dont know the previous history of loki since I got him from my local pet store
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?screen gage with wooden framing
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I use the zoo med uva light and UVB light from 8 a.m to 8p.m @Beman has already linked the UVB bulb needed. Since it is a homemade enclosure, we can't really tell you the correct distance the bulb needs to be from his basking branch. A Solarmeter 6.5 will be able to tell you (definitely get one if you can afford it, they're life-saving!).
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have a digital thermometer it's usually 68 at night during the day 80 What do use to measure temps with? How far away is the heat bulb from his basking branch?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I'm not sure but I would mist him and his plants . Currently working on his humidifying situation You can always get a dehumidifier to put in his room (just not directly by his cage) to lower levels if needed. What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Hibiscus plant live . Some zoo med plastic leaves and branches . Veileds need veiled-tested live plants only, as they'll try to eat fake ones, which can lead to impaction and possibly death. @Beman has also already linked a great plant link above! His cage needs tons of veiled-tested live plants, lots of branches of multiple species and diameters (just none from toxic or sap-producing trees), and more vines (preferably all live, but Fluker's can work, just no moss, Exo Terra, or fake vines with leaves on them).
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Near a fan but not too close he isnt near high traffic . Hes in a high spot just he feels like he isnt below me What speed do you keep the fan on?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? I'm located in texas , USA.

Here's the links:
https://www.chameleons.info/en/
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/external-resources/
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
https://chameleonacademy.com/setting-up-a-chameleon-cage/
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2012/04/how-to-set-up-proper-chameleon.html

Attachments

• Cham. Academy Plant List.jpeg
    Cham. Academy Plant List.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Petr Necas Plant List.jpeg
    Petr Necas Plant List.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 62
  • chameleon-gutload 2.jpg
    chameleon-gutload 2.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 58
  • chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 55
You are on the right path. A good idea is to get normal temp and humidity readings in the room so you know what to adjust. I like seeing people make the effort. Sometimes it can get overwhelming, especially if somebody gets a chameleon and is given improper info. I also have a site with a lot of good beginner info. Stay at it and don't panic. he looks very good so take a minuet to gather your thoughts as to where your money is best spent first. This is a very individual thing. Ask around for plant cuttings and grow your own. Maybe some one has an AC you could pick up cheap. You will need these things but you don't need to rush out and spend a fortune. I would priorities proper UVB lighting. This can cause harm even in a relatively short period of time just a few months depending on how they were kept prior, maybe even less if they have already been under poor lighting.
Thank you it made me feel better because I thought I was a horrible person and felt like I didnt deserve loki but now that you're telling me all the right information I feel so much better thank you so much

Yup - agree, he did look healthy in the picture you posted, so making corrections now is excellent!! Also agree with planning out how and when to best use your money. Just putting a plug in here, I referred to this member's site several times when I was setting up my new enclosure, it's a great resource to check out as well. You got this!

My feedback is in red, I've attached helpful links and images at the end:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male veiled cham 8 months , had it for a month .
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I handle him about 1 time every 2 days Why is that? Do you take him anyplace as enrichment?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I feed him crickets about 7 sparsely through ou the day . I gut load them with the zoo med cricket care You want to feed in the morning, preferably around an hour after lights come on. You're going to want a better gutload, I've attached a gutload chart below. I've also attached a feeder chart, as variety is best for gutload ingredients and types of bugs! You're also going to need to start feeding him less, as well.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I usually dust my crickets with repti calcium from zoo med Is it with or without D3? You need a phosphorus-free calcium without D3 to use every feeding, except for once per week. On that one day per week, you'll alternate weekly between a phosphorus-free calcium with D3 and a multivitamin without D3 (like Zoo Med Reptivite Without D3), so that each is used once every two weeks.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? I would hand mist about 5 times a day but now I know not to . I would mist for 3-4 minutes
  • Do you see your chameleon drinking? Not today but other days yes
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Poop is usually brown not slimmy and no he hasn't gotten tested although I need to Where in Texas do you live (we can help you find a good vet)?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
I dont know the previous history of loki since I got him from my local pet store
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?screen gage with wooden framing
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I use the zoo med uva light and UVB light from 8 a.m to 8p.m @Beman has already linked the UVB bulb needed. Since it is a homemade enclosure, we can't really tell you the correct distance the bulb needs to be from his basking branch. A Solarmeter 6.5 will be able to tell you (definitely get one if you can afford it, they're life-saving!).
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have a digital thermometer it's usually 68 at night during the day 80 What do use to measure temps with? How far away is the heat bulb from his basking branch?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I'm not sure but I would mist him and his plants . Currently working on his humidifying situation You can always get a dehumidifier to put in his room (just not directly by his cage) to lower levels if needed. What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Hibiscus plant live . Some zoo med plastic leaves and branches . Veileds need veiled-tested live plants only, as they'll try to eat fake ones, which can lead to impaction and possibly death. @Beman has also already linked a great plant link above! His cage needs tons of veiled-tested live plants, lots of branches of multiple species and diameters (just none from toxic or sap-producing trees), and more vines (preferably all live, but Fluker's can work, just no moss, Exo Terra, or fake vines with leaves on them).

• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Near a fan but not too close he isnt near high traffic . Hes in a high spot just he feels like he isnt below me What speed do you keep the fan on?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? I'm located in texas , USA.

Here's the links:
https://www.chameleons.info/en/
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/external-resources/
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
https://chameleonacademy.com/setting-up-a-chameleon-cage/
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2012/04/how-to-set-up-proper-chameleon.html
Thank you for you feed back and questions.

I have a window with a tall mature plant that is veiled tested :) he will sit in there and bask by the sun only for 15 minutes tho . I usually take him out just so he will get used to being handled. I dont handle him too much because I know they dont like that really .

As for the powder i know its phosphorus free .

What would you reccomend to gut load ? Quencher cubes a good thing ??

His lighting is not to close to his resting branch area and his basking spot is not to close but not to far but loki will find a good spot to bask . But I will work on adjusting the lighting issue as well as the uvb.

My fan speed is on 2 . It's not to fast not to slow.

I live in Moore, texas . The only reptile vets we have are an hour away :)

Yup - agree, he did look healthy in the picture you posted, so making corrections now is excellent!! Also agree with planning out how and when to best use your money. Just putting a plug in here, I referred to this member's site several times when I was setting up my new enclosure, it's a great resource to check out as well. You got this

Thank you so very much for all the assistance I learned so much from all of this really. Correcting myself now is the best thing I can do:) he does look healthy with his huge googly eyes and cute pattern :) I love him so much

Thank you for you feed back and questions.

I have a window with a tall mature plant that is veiled tested :) he will sit in there and bask by the sun only for 15 minutes tho . I usually take him out just so he will get used to being handled. I dont handle him too much because I know they dont like that really .

As for the powder i know its phosphorus free .

What would you reccomend to gut load ? Quencher cubes a good thing ??

His lighting is not to close to his resting branch area and his basking spot is not to close but not to far but loki will find a good spot to bask . But I will work on adjusting the lighting issue as well as the uvb.

My fan speed is on 2 . It's not to fast not to slow.
No problem, keep asking away, we're happy tp help!

Good! Just know windows don't allow UVB light to pass through

Great! You need to get all three

As many ingredients from the chart (in the proper ratios) that you can get! Variety is best!

You'll want his basking bulb a minimum of 8-9" away from his basking branch. Great!

As long as there isn't a draft, breeze, etc.

No problem, keep asking away, we're happy tp help!

Good! Just know windows don't allow UVB light to pass through

Great! You need to get all three

As many ingredients from the chart (in the proper ratios) that you can get! Variety is best!

You'll want his basking bulb a minimum of 8-9" away from his basking branch. Great!

As long as there isn't a draft, breeze, etc.

Thank all of yall . :) loki is getting his things today

Back
Top Bottom