8month old male veiled cham not drinking water

This is his first time ever since I had him that his poop looked like that . This was two days after I fed him those superworms . I think I gave him too many and for sure I will have tests done :( . I have never owned a cham till now and now I'm so deep in love with him already. Hes all I got really .

Every thing @Arpretty said. The poop looks over hydrated almost runny. Have you been feeding horn worms? Do you fog ? As mentioned they should only be misted morning and evening twice is plenty. Veiled need it to dry out during the day even down to 30%. The night time is where you really want 100% humidity and temps below 70f min 65f is better even down to 50f. They are fog drinkers, in the wild this is how they would get most of their moisture. In captivity this get trick to replicate but can be done. The lower the night temp and higher humidity the less you will see them drink.
When you mentioned fogging should I get the zoo med repti fogger ? I live in texas where it's hot pretty bad especially during spring and summer . How can I keep him somewhat cool and then fog ?:eek:

This is his first time ever since I had him that his poop looked like that . This was two days after I fed him those superworms . I think I gave him too many and for sure I will have tests done :( . I have never owned a cham till now and now I'm so deep in love with him already. Hes all I got really .

Understand!!! They are very easy to fall in love with! Just to clarify, he was fed superworms, not hornworms?

Understand!!! They are very easy to fall in love with! Just to clarify, he was fed superworms, not hornworms?
Correct . Super worms . I thought it was fine to feed him a couple of them since this lady gave me false information . She had me thinking it was safe to give him at least 5-6 a day then I noticed he wasn't acting right till I called the vet and he said this lady was absolutely wrong and gave loki a tummy ache and caused him to have diarrhea . I'm waiting for him to give me another sample. :( prayers for my little Loki

When you mentioned fogging should I get the zoo med repti fogger ? I live in texas where it's hot pretty bad especially during spring and summer . How can I keep him somewhat cool and then fog ?:eek:
When we say fog we mean 100% humidity and 65f or less. So hot in the peak of the day is ok. If your nights are hot it is harder. Depending on how much more you need to lower the temp it could be anything from AC unit to the Fogger is enough. Running a small computer fan up from bottom into the fog can lower it some. I think a Fogger is the right choice unless you live where the humidity is naturally above 60%. For humidity remember that it only needs high humidity in their sleeping spots. I have 5 juveniles 6-7 months. When I started fog they all moved their sleep spots closer to the fog. Then they seem to alternate sleep spots

If you don't mind me asking... what do you mean when you say he loves you? Because yeah, they are not usually affectionate.
Hell usually come out and climb over me and turn excited colors :) he even lets me kiss him not literally lips and slobber all over him but I'll peck his Crest. hes so nice to me and likes being handled :) so I'd say he loves me lol I heard they are usually aggressive like . But not my loki hes a kind cham

When we say fog we mean 100% humidity and 65f or less. So hot in the peak of the day is ok. If your nights are hot it is harder. Depending on how much more you need to lower the temp it could be anything from AC unit to the Fogger is enough. Running a small computer fan up from bottom into the fog can lower it some. I think a Fogger is the right choice unless you live where the humidity is naturally above 60%. For humidity remember that it only needs high humidity in their sleeping spots. I have 5 juveniles 6-7 months. When I started fog they all moved their sleep spots closer to the fog. Then they seem to alternate sleep spots
Yeah I'm from southern texas and it gets soooooo hot . At night's it's not as hot so would I still need his fogger. It's so dry and sunny here majority of the time . I'm sorry if I'm asking too much it's just I want to make sure I get this information all correct so loki can be a happy cham in his environment:)

Hell usually come out and climb over me and turn excited colors :) he even lets me kiss him not literally lips and slobber all over him but I'll peck his Crest. hes so nice to me and likes being handled :) so I'd say he loves me lol I heard they are usually aggressive like . But not my loki hes a kind cham
You do not want to kiss your chameleon... At all not even a little bit. They can carry salmonella. So kissing is a no go. Washing hands every time you handle or clean cage is also extremely important.

Looking at your enclosure he needs more live plants and branches. Along with the correct UVB lighting. He wants out because he is not getting what he needs from the cage. A fogger CAN NOT be used if you can not get your night time temps below 67 degrees. It should never be used during the day.

Using a plastic cup with a pin hole in the bottom on the top of the cage to provide a slow consistent drip on the plants below is the best way to trigger drinking in a veiled.

I think it would help you quite a bit to read through everything in this husbandry program https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ and then ask questions here. Please fill out the form that was provided with detail. We need all questions in it answered.

Are you sure they were superworms you were feeding? They do not make fecal runny. What color were the worms you were feeding.

You do not want to kiss your chameleon... At all not even a little bit. They can carry salmonella. So kissing is a no go. Washing hands every time you handle or clean cage is also extremely important.

Looking at your enclosure he needs more live plants and branches. Along with the correct UVB lighting. He wants out because he is not getting what he needs from the cage. A fogger CAN NOT be used if you can not get your night time temps below 67 degrees. It should never be used during the day.

Using a plastic cup with a pin hole in the bottom on the top of the cage to provide a slow consistent drip on the plants below is the best way to trigger drinking in a veiled.

I think it would help you quite a bit to read through everything in this husbandry program https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ and then ask questions here. Please fill out the form that was provided with detail. We need all questions in it answered.

Are you sure they were superworms you were feeding? They do not make fecal runny. What color were the worms you were feeding.
Yeah I'm sure it's super worms :( he has his uvb there but I'm sure I can fix all of the habitat better . I can give you a picture of my superworms if you'd like .

Yeah I'm sure it's super worms :( he has his uvb there but I'm sure I can fix all of the habitat better . I can give you a picture of my superworms if you'd like .
I can tell by looking at your lighting that your not using the correct UVB lighting for a chameleon. You need a T5HO linear fixture and a 5.0 or 6% linear bulb. These are not screw in bulbs like you have on your cage.
This is the type you want. Choose the length that will go across the entire cage and the 6% bulb. https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit.html

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male veiled cham 8 months , had it for a month .
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I handle him about 1 time every 2 days
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I feed him crickets about 7 sparsely through ou the day . I gut load them with the zoo med cricket care
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I usually dust my crickets with repti calcium from zoo med
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? I would hand mist about 5 times a day but now I know not to . I would mist for 3-4 minutes
  • Do you see your chameleon drinking? Not today but other days yes
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Poop is usually brown not slimmy and no he hasn't gotten tested although I need to
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
I dont know the previous history of loki since I got him from my local pet store
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?screen gage with wooden framing
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I use the zoo med uva light and UVB light from 8 a.m to 8p.m
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have a digital thermometer it's usually 68 at night during the day 80
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I'm not sure but I would mist him and his plants . Currently working on his humidifying situation
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Hibiscus plant live . Some zoo med plastic leaves and branches .
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Near a fan but not too close he isnt near high traffic . Hes in a high spot just he feels like he isnt below me
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? I'm located in texas , USA.

Again Everything @Beman says. Cooling is going to be the trick. It is easy enough to increase humidity, but cooling is harder. If your average night is not dropping to at least 65 you may need AC or some form of cooling ant night. Unfortunatly there are no real cheap options on that. I have been thinking of this problem, and a room ac unit works well. I have a chinchilla as well and we keep his room 62-65 all day with just a small AC portable unit, about $400 though so Ouch.

Thank you so much for helping me.
:)
Again Everything @Beman says. Cooling is going to be the trick. It is easy enough to increase humidity, but cooling is harder. If your average night is not dropping to at least 65 you may need AC or some form of cooling ant night. Unfortunatly there are no real cheap options on that. I have been thinking of this problem, and a room ac unit works well. I have a chinchilla as well and we keep his room 62-65 all day with just a small AC portable unit, about $400 though so Ouch.
I know acs are expensive but I will work on that too. I'm getting all my necessities together which I'm happy about :) so all this information is very very helpful to me .

Any of those are going to help. You want ones that are full and mature though. So larger plants. you can find them at home depot or lowes in their indoor plant section.
Okay thank you very much for your help all of you. This is all good information for me to learn from and for future times

Back
Top Bottom