50 Shades of Beauty, meet Ranjo

If you can get your hands on some soldier flies, he will put your mind at ease.
Have yet to see a cham that won't go running for them.
You can push the bsfl to maturity with some food and heat.
Usually only takes a week or two if you bought the large size
Got some hedged already and supplied in his enclosure, cheers. My veiled loves them to hell, BSF and BSFL.

Problem is, when I putted in those terrible crickets, more went in then planned (very small and annoying things, just hate crickets) and couldn’t count them. Now I can’t keep track and I don’t wanna disturb him on his first day, to go in and catch those little bastards 😑

No, it's a nepenthes vine, isn't it?
Ahhh check, no I really wanted that one, however was afraid, because small size, he get caught in one of those pitchers. And then I saw your enclosure and thought bummer, love your setup as well 😍👌🏻

The vine looks like a nepenthes indeed, has the same leaves, however it’s another type, don’t know the name anymore 🙈

Wow!!! what an amazing little guy, I am so jealous! :love: I have never created a bioactive terrarium before (I hope to in the future), so I wanted to ask how long did it take for the plants to establish in his enclosure? Did you purchase plants that were large and filled out? Or did you already have plants on hand?

Wow!!! what an amazing little guy, I am so jealous! :love: I have never created a bioactive terrarium before (I hope to in the future), so I wanted to ask how long did it take for the plants to establish in his enclosure? Did you purchase plants that were large and filled out? Or did you already have plants on hand?
No need for that, everyone can do it and to be honest I’d never build a non-bioactive enclosure anymore.
There‘re two things key for successful bioactive and that’s a good drainage (layer) and (led) plants lights. I build the layer according this https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/intro-to-bio-activity.2429/ principal. And build it last Sunday and can already see plants flourish after 2 days.

Yes, purchased directly large plants to fill out the enclosure as good possible and when needed I’ll it. Like said, build it Sunday and it‘s inhabited today. The cleanup crew will take a few weeks to establish and that is it. O and I let the enclosure dry out during the day.

Maybe my 2 blogs will provide you some inspiration.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/low-budget-enclosure-setup.2462/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/free-range-inspiration.2464/

No need for that, everyone can do it and to be honest I’d never build a non-bioactive enclosure anymore.
There‘re two things key for successful bioactive and that’s a good drainage (layer) and (led) plants lights. I build the layer according this https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/intro-to-bio-activity.2429/ principal. And build it last Sunday and can already see plants flourish after 2 days.

Yes, purchased directly large plants to fill out the enclosure as good possible and when needed I’ll it. Like said, build it Sunday and it‘s inhabited today. The cleanup crew will take a few weeks to establish and that is it. O and I let the enclosure dry out during the day.

Maybe my 2 blogs will provide you some inspiration.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/low-budget-enclosure-setup.2462/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/free-range-inspiration.2464/
Awesome, thank you so much! I will most definitely read through those blogs. :)

Those little grabbers......

kinyonga-boehmei3.jpg

Small update on Ranjo:

Ranjo is now for 2 weeks in his permanent enclosure which is a 21.65” x 21.65” x 39.37” (55 x 55 x 100 cm) screen cage. With a bioactive soil setup and massive foliage including a schefflera, 2 scindapsus pictus, philodendron, anthurium zizou, chamaedorea, dracaena and many more (at least 15 plants).

His urate is white and looking normal (very, very small compared to a Veiled). His appetite is growing, and he prefers BSF and green bottle flies the most, even silkies. However, crickets and locusts aren´t preferred and fully ignored.

I have used Arcadia Jungle Dawn led bar, 15 watt and ZooMed Reptisun Led / UVB 30” light bar together a 25 watt heat bulb. Scheduled from 7:00 am till 7:00 pm UVB, from 06:30 am till 07:30 pm Led and from 07:00 am till 09:00 pm heat.

I use 2 misting sessions a day, 07:30 am for 1 minute and 18:00 pm for 2 minutes (on which I notice him drink drops)

During nighttime I use a fogger from 11:00 pm till 06:00 am for 15 minutes each hour.

Because of the low temps during daytime 69° the enclosure dried slowly, therefore I placed 2 small (PC) fans, one in the down corner as intake and one on top opposite corner as exhaust. And it looks like he really likes it. His new sleeping spot always somewhere near and above the intake flow.

Coloration is now stable, always brown, and light brown, with some green and pinkish accents. When entering his enclosure, he´ll quickly turn bright white and green (his scared colours). Colouring in relation to mood goes very rapidly with them, they react almost instantly.

Resume, it´s a very active and fun species to look at and enjoyable own one.

Let's hope we are correct on the husbandry, as mine is almost identical including light times. the only difference is I cannot maintain quite such cool temps, mine is 74 during the day and 66-67 at night.

I use the Repticooler at night (which does use a fan) in addition to the fogger on the same schedule as yours also.

Eliot loves crickets, he will hunt them everywhere, although I only give monthly due to lower nutrition.

Let's hope we are correct on the husbandry, as mine is almost identical including light times. the only difference is I cannot maintain quite such cool temps, mine is 74 during the day and 66-67 at night.

I use the Repticooler at night (which does use a fan) in addition to the fogger on the same schedule as yours also.

Eliot loves crickets, he will hunt them everywhere, although I only give monthly due to lower nutrition.
Lets hope so, there isn’t much reference for husbandry🤞🏻

Didn’t know about the Repti Cooler, interesting, maybe an alternative if temperatures keep raising this summer.

Maybe because he had only been eating crickets, he ignores them now for the other unknown feeders. Will try again in a few weeks 👍🏻

Third week now and he´s feeling more comfy. Colours stay stable and when I enter his enclosure for food or whatsoever, he just stays at his position (not afraid any more) and doesn´t colour bright.
We´re still soo happy everyone here made us pull the trigger for Ranjo, definitely such a fun species....

Love his salmon / pinkish colouring......this is his resting colour.
3de.jpg

Third week now and he´s feeling more comfy. Colours stay stable and when I enter his enclosure for food or whatsoever, he just stays at his position (not afraid any more) and doesn´t colour bright.
We´re still soo happy everyone here made us pull the trigger for Ranjo, definitely such a fun species....

Love his salmon / pinkish colouring......this is his resting colour.
View attachment 304227
Cutest little tail! Is he cup feeding yet and/or running over to see what you have for him?

Back
Top Bottom