24 x 24 x 48 inch Aluminum Screen Cage

Avallone

Im buying the 24 x 24 x 48 inch Aluminum Screen Cage for my 3month old male panther cham... Is this ok? I want to go BIG so I don't need to buy a new one in the long run..

A lot of people seem to think 'No', it's too big for him to find feeders, but I don't feel the same way. He will find his feeders, if he gets hungry, it's a chameleon- it will actively hunt for something to eat. I just don't see a chameleon sitting there on a stick starving to death with 15 crickets wandering around a mer 3-4 feet beneath him. I agree, it's silly to buy a small cage when he is going to outgrow it in 4-8 months anyway.

A lot of people seem to think 'No', it's too big for him to find feeders, but I don't feel the same way. He will find his feeders, if he gets hungry, it's a chameleon- it will actively hunt for something to eat. I just don't see a chameleon sitting there on a stick starving to death with 15 crickets wandering around a mer 3-4 feet beneath him. I agree, it's silly to buy a small cage when he is going to outgrow it in 4-8 months anyway.

Completely agree

that is what i did! im cup feeding though, although i have seen him catch the strays with no problem. the cup is more for me than him:p

go for it!

srry

srry changing topic but my fischers chameleon will not stop sleeping jurying the day he sleeps almost all day. i do not no what to do

HELP:eek:

srry changing topic but my fischers chameleon will not stop sleeping jurying the day he sleeps almost all day. i do not no what to do

HELP:eek:

why are most of your posts so far unrelated to the thread you post in? :confused: start a new thread and fill out the how to ask for help form and someone can help point out what you're doing wrong or not doing at all..etc.

I agree with this too!

I've just put a young panther (about 10 weeks) in an enclosure this size with a large ficus and a large pothos as well as numerous vines and ledges etc.
I throw in loads of small roaches (1st -3th instar redrunners) near him every day and once he spots them the hunt is on
I also put small hoppers near him and have seen him eat these too.

I put my 3 month in the same size cage. I put feeders in a cup at the bottom of the cage which he found the first day, no problem. Now, every morning he sits on the branch where the cup should be and waits for me to feed him. I prefer the cup because I know exactly how much he is eating instead of just putting crickets in the cage.

You don't really need to go the "feeding cup" route in a large cage. I prefer putting a larger plastic storage box in the bottom of the cage so the feeders and some fresh gutload are more or less confined and let the cham climb down through the plants to shoot them from the rim of the box. Remove the box and uneaten feeders at night and don't put it where misting nozzles or drippers will fill it.

You don't really need to go the "feeding cup" route in a large cage. I prefer putting a larger plastic storage box in the bottom of the cage so the feeders and some fresh gutload are more or less confined and let the cham climb down through the plants to shoot them from the rim of the box. Remove the box and uneaten feeders at night and don't put it where misting nozzles or drippers will fill it.

I actually REALLY like this idea... I always get so freaking stressed trying to figure out how to get a feeder cup easily accessible when I redo a cage... I will definitely be giving this a try... To the OP I completely agree with the rest of these posts... Chams are still wild creatures who only TOLERATE cages... No amount of room in my book is TOO much room... They aren't born in small spaces that gradually get bigger....

Both of my young Chams are in cages this size. I just use the top 1/3 of the viv.

They do venture down, more so my Yemen than my Panther does.

Cup feeding is also an option. But like already they will find it or the feeders will climb the screen into the Chams vision!

when chameleons are born in the wild..are they put in smaller spaces so they can easily hunt for food?

:p

I actually REALLY like this idea... I always get so freaking stressed trying to figure out how to get a feeder cup easily accessible when I redo a cage... I will definitely be giving this a try... To the OP I completely agree with the rest of these posts... Chams are still wild creatures who only TOLERATE cages... No amount of room in my book is TOO much room... They aren't born in small spaces that gradually get bigger....

I've used this approach for years. Sort of a middle ground between free ranging feeders and cup feeding. Or, I can hang the same boxes in trees for free ranging chams and move them around so the chams don't just lurk over one spot waiting for breakfast. Feeders move around more naturally, stimulate the cham's behavior a bit more naturally, the feeders can gutload themselves on good stuff rather than grungy bits on the cage bottom too. Also great photo op tongue shot setups!

Back
Top Bottom