2021 Daytona reptile expo

jackthejellydragon

Avid Member
Hi guys I have never been to a reptile expo and the annual Daytona expo is coming up. is it worth it to go and check it out, I do love reptiles and plants. Do you have any tips or recommedations for things to check out. thank you for the help.

Lol...I’m in a similar position. Ask yourself what it is that you hope to accomplish by going? Do you need more reptile supplies? Are you wanting more reptiles? I want to go to one just to see what they’re about, but.... I have 3 empty tanks and know I won’t be able to resist another beardie and more geckos to fill them even though I’ve no more room to put the tanks. After asking myself those two questions and knowing how impulsive I am, especially when it comes to animals, I have decided it’s best that I not go to one.

Hi guys I have never been to a reptile expo and the annual Daytona expo is coming up. is it worth it to go and check it out, I do love reptiles and plants. Do you have any tips or recommedations for things to check out. thank you for the help.
I think everyone in this hobby should go to at least one major show—just for the experience.
You'll see things you'll love and things you'll despise/hate.

before you go to a reptile show

When we went, it was to meet & check out (vet) breeders in-person, and get an idea of the business end of the "hobby".

I recommend taking a shopping list and sticking to it. There will (generally) be bargains better than you can find online—especially feeders, but Caveat Emptor—there are also "deals" to beware of. If something looks/sounds too good to be true, it generally is. Taking a list may also help you avoid impulse purchases. I did get my beardie at a show (which I wouldn't usually recommend) but it was from a nationally reputable breeder at a price substantially below their website prices.

The Daytona show is simply amazing and beyond belief. I took my Mom there years ago and it probably took us 4 hours to wander through everything once. If you are impulsive you will have issues, but it was fascinating seeing all these creatures I had never seen before in my life. My mom is pretty chill and was watching a snake shed inside it's little deli cup. As she's watching she feels something brush her left shoulder. She looks over and sees the head of a huge albino python that a guy is holding 4' to her RIGHT! It had made it's way over and was checking her out behind her back and then onto her left shoulder. The guy got nervous seeing this little old grey-haired lady eyeballing his snake, but she just laughed and now has a great story to tell.

The Daytona show is simply amazing and beyond belief. I took my Mom there years ago and it probably took us 4 hours to wander through everything once. If you are impulsive you will have issues, but it was fascinating seeing all these creatures I had never seen before in my life. ....
This brings up a good point I forgot to mention. We get online the day before and make a list of vendors. If possible, we check out their websites or FB pages to figure out if they're someone we want to make special effort to track down & meet/see.

When we get to a show, we make it a point to make 2 complete circuits.
  1. First circuit, we collect business cards and make quick notes (on our list) of booths we want to spend some time at—chatting or shopping—and also filter out which ones we're really not interested in.

2. Second circuit we go back to the booths we're most interested in, which takes less time for the circuit, but more time at the individual booths we're interested in.
Suggestion: Plan to make a day of it; take breaks when necessary, and have a nice lunch. ;)

Back
Top Bottom