2 days not eating, Male Jackson Xanth

noahrofsky7

Established Member
Hello,

I’ve got a male Jacksonii Xantholophus, 2 years old. He’s been in my care for around 4 months.

Handling:
Never handle unless it’s for a reason.

Supplements:
I use repticalcium without d3 twice a week, and repashy lo-d once a month.

Hydration:
He gets hydrated via mistking, and when he is not outdoors, I use a fogger.

Fecal:
Poop and urates are hydrated. Haven’t seen anything out of the ordinary other than a poop he held onto for a while, a couple weeks ago. He has been fecal tested and promptly deparasitized by the previous owner.

Cage:
2x2x4 reptibreeze, live plants, soil floor.

Lights:
Natural sun, T5 HO

Temperatures:
Current temperatures outdoors are mid-high 60’s during the day, and low 50’s to high 40’s at night.

CURRENT PROBLEM:
Hasn’t eaten for 2 days. Will take to the vet for a fecal exam to check for parasites. Any other possibilities? He has gular edema, which isn’t as bad as it was when I first got him. He is still moving around during the day to follow the sun. No sunken or closed eyes.

Thanks as always :)

BFBB90C3-D6F6-483A-A01D-A345309F623F.jpeg

They do slow down at lower temperatures. You may need to boost his daytime temps to get him back to eating.
I will move him inside tonight. How long should I wait for him to eat until a vet would be needed? One day? Three? A week????

Thanks

Yeah I wouldn't sweat that! Chams can survive alot longer than you'd expect without food, it's actually really fascinating. Also as mentioned before, the cold could be contributing, I would also maybe try switching up your feeder offerings? Maybe he's tired of what your feeding, we all know how picky they can be when they want to! I'm sure he'll be chowing down again before you know it!

Yeah I wouldn't sweat that! Chams can survive alot longer than you'd expect without food, it's actually really fascinating. Also as mentioned before, the cold could be contributing, I would also maybe try switching up your feeder offerings? Maybe he's tired of what your feeding, we all know how picky they can be when they want to! I'm sure he'll be chowing down again before you know it!
He has been moved inside, so let’s see if his basking lamp will help at all. I usually feed dubias, BSFL, crickets, and silkworms. I will try and get him to eat with some superworms if I can find them. Not the most nutritious, but I know he goes crazy for them.

Thanks!

Yea, keeping outdoors is doable in coastal So Cal but if the weather turns cold they will slow everything down. You might get by with a ceramic heat emitter to make up your day time temps but I'm not a fan of electrical devices in the rain.o_O So unless you are sure of your wiring bringing him in during cold spells is your best option. They can take the cold at night but they need the chance to warm up to metabolize properly.

Back
Top Bottom