2 chameleon experiments: wind / head bobbing

Ive just been thinking about all the research I've done in preparation of getting my first furcifer pardalis and two weird ideas have come across my mind recently and I haven't been able to find anything on the forum so I'm hoping some experienced owners can chime in:

1: I've read countless times that chameleons move with that rocking motion to blend in with moving foliage disturbed by the wind. So I started to think that if chameleons walk that way to blend in with the wind motion, they obviously feel more comfortable moving amongst the rustling leaves. So my first experiment question would be has anyone placed a small fan outside the enclosure to rustle the leaves a little to see if the chameleon responds in a positive manner. Obviously if I were to try this I'd make sure its not affecting the heat gradient too much, and that its only directed at a small fraction of the enclosure. (and i'd also wait 'til my cham was a bit more developed)

2: My second experiment idea involves head bobbing. In my research I've found this to be part of the mating ritual, as if to say "Hey, 'sup, I like you, I'm gonna come closer"
It seems to be solely a reproductive move, because in the videos I've seen of chameleons having "visual fights" they seem to rock and gape, but I haven't noticed any head bobbing as a dominance display. So my final question/experiment would be have any experienced chameleon owners ever bobbed their own head at the chameleon, and what were the effects. Part of me thinks that might send a weird message to the chameleon, but part of me thinks that trying to use their sense of communication to communicate me being friendly might work with developing a social chameleon.

Sorry about such a long and wordy post, just wanted to make sure I made sense :) and If anyone thought there would be some sort of new results or info based on the title of the thread I apologize again.

just trying to think outside the box :) Because I know chams aren't meant to be in one!

i placed a fan in such a way that it rustled the leaves in my young veileds enclosure before, the humidity had gotten too high after misting and i knew that would bring it down and he came down from his basking perch(which was out of the breeze) and onto the leaves and seemed to really like it! he didnt move his body immitating the leaves, just let his little body get moved by the leaves movement and looked quite happy :) when i took the fan away awhile later, i sat there with it longer then i had planned because i was watching him, he moved back up to his basking perch.
so i think that they like it, of course i dont think they would enjoy 24/7 wind because that isnt how it is in the wild, but the occasional wind might be enjoyable!!
very interesting ideas also!!!!!

I never try the wind thing since I keep mine outdoor. But I believe it's quite windy outside and he seems enjoying it. But I agree with the rock motion. He likes to lift either one of the hand and just stay still.

As for the head bobbing I have never tried that. But I am kissing my cham everytime I am done playing with him. Sounds weird but as far as I know he never acts rough or scare everytime my mouth approaches.

Weird thing is that he doesn't fire up when I place him in front of mirror.

1: I don't really think it's that they prefer to be in rustling leaves, it's more that rustling leaves are part of their natural environment so they have adapted to match. So I think it's more of a response to their environment, rather than something they have chosen to deliberately do, or would seek out. And even if the leaves are not rustling the jerky motions of the "leaf walk" are actually less noticeable than a straight run because predators are used to seeing jerky movements of leaves on bushes and trees so that type of movement is going to be a lot less noticeable because it doesn't draw attention as much as something moving quickly in one direction only. That's not something that happens in nature unless it's another animal running (triggering the prey response). So chams have adapted to not trigger that "hunt the prey" mode as well by trying to mimic natural movement of the forest environment. My panther has done the leaf walk across the top of a wooden fence with no trees in sight, so he wasn't trying to blend into anything.

Imo I don't think they need rustling leaves. Leaves yes, they need foliage to feel safe and protected, but I don't think they really need them to be moving. And a fan into the cage is going to drop humidity and temperature. I think the leaf walk is more of an evolutionary response than an indication of need.

2: I dunno, try it!

Interesting thoughts nonetheless. :)

Tried head bobbing and nothing happened!
I Observed the wind and he seemed to move slowly as the wind blew the leaves. It might be because he was hunting for what I know nothing posed as danger at that time.

when i had my cham outdoors i saw him waiting for gusts of wind to make his moves. he was perfectly still then only when the wind was blowing he moved very very quickly, then as the wind slowed down or stopped he stopped too. he did that on windy days when hunting or when he was feeling threatened.
so if they are outside on a windy day I'm surre they use the moving leaves for extra camouflage but I wouldn't try to re create wind indoors as it's not strictly necessary and if not done properly it could harm the cham.
For the head bobbing thing I don't think they see us as big chameleons so I don't see the point...very interesting thread anyway ;)

Back
Top Bottom