1st Bioactive - does size matter?

Guppysmom

Im new to chams and bioactive set ups but have been researching for around 4 months. I plan on building my enclosure out before getting my cham. I was super inspired by all the DIY set ups from old cabinets so I've decided to go that route. I bought a curio cabinet in town for $125 before realizing it may be too small. Its 24" wide x 18" deep x 72 tall. It's an octagon shape so its less volume thank id like. I also found a cabinet for $120 but its 4.5 hrs away and I would have to pick up. Its 4x2x7 and made out of cedar. Im debating whether I should just make a starter enclosure with the case I have or if I should just go with the one that I know I won't need to upgrade later on. I was thinking I could divide it into 2 portions and start with half? I appreciate any advice! :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201006-130803_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201006-130803_Chrome.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot_20201019-122232_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201019-122232_Chrome.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 81
Yeah I can't pass it up, its such a great deal for something so huge! Just worried that it'll be hard to start out on a large scale. Do you think I should try it out or should I do a partition in the middle and start with one side? Partially just worried my future cham will hide too easily and I won't know if he's sick. Is this even a concern? Lol what should I be worried about doing a larger bioactive? Thinking mainly drainage and feeding my cleanup crew but maybe there's something else I'm missing? I started to read a thread about parasites infecting the cham and then the owner had to redo the enclosure. Is that a real common issue?

Yeah I can't pass it up, its such a great deal for something so huge! Just worried that it'll be hard to start out on a large scale. Do you think I should try it out or should I do a partition in the middle and start with one side? Partially just worried my future cham will hide too easily and I won't know if he's sick. Is this even a concern? Lol what should I be worried about doing a larger bioactive? Thinking mainly drainage and feeding my cleanup crew but maybe there's something else I'm missing? I started to read a thread about parasites infecting the cham and then the owner had to redo the enclosure. Is that a real common issue?
I don’t think setting up a larger bioactive would be any more difficult than a smaller one. Of course it may be more costly as you’ll need more ‘stuff’ to fill it. Until your bioactive is well established, you will want to feed your cuc. I just give bits of whatever I’m feeding my feeder bugs. As long as you’re keeping an eye on your cham, big or small enclosure, you should still notice if it’s showing signs of illness.
About parasites, those are common enough to always be a concern and makes getting a wellness check and fecal done by a vet soon after getting a cham (or any animal). To take that risk into account, you could set up a small temporary enclosure for quarantining until cleared by a vet.

is the big one cedar?
NVM, just saw it. Cedar is a dangerous wood for reptiles.

Anyways, IMO you should start small, easier to fix past mistakes, it'll give you some experience before you try to go big. If you're satisfied with your enclosure you can always upgrade.

The second cabinet Pic looks perfect size for my boa

is the big one cedar?
NVM, just saw it. Cedar is a dangerous wood for reptiles.

Anyways, IMO you should start small, easier to fix past mistakes, it'll give you some experience before you try to go big. If you're satisfied with your enclosure you can always upgrade.

The second cabinet Pic looks perfect size for my boa

Is cedar still toxic after sealing it with flex seal or something similar? Its also fairly old and i think I read somewhere cedar stops off gassing after so long

I don’t think setting up a larger bioactive would be any more difficult than a smaller one. Of course it may be more costly as you’ll need more ‘stuff’ to fill it. Until your bioactive is well established, you will want to feed your cuc. I just give bits of whatever I’m feeding my feeder bugs. As long as you’re keeping an eye on your cham, big or small enclosure, you should still notice if it’s showing signs of illness.
About parasites, those are common enough to always be a concern and makes getting a wellness check and fecal done by a vet soon after getting a cham (or any animal). To take that risk into account, you could set up a small temporary enclosure for quarantining until cleared by a vet.
For the quarantine I found a couple used xl repti breeze cages on Facebook. Would it be okay after sanitizing? Or do you recommend I go with something new?

I would wait about 3-4 weeks after getting the Cham to get a fecal test done. The stress of moving can make the parasite load explode in numbers.

Is cedar still toxic after sealing it with flex seal or something similar? Its also fairly old and i think I read somewhere cedar stops off gassing after so long
I have cedar chests older than I am (sixty-mumble) that still have plenty of stank left in them.
If you can smell cedar, it's still off-gassing. I'm not familiar with flex seal.

Back
Top Bottom