101 tadpoles!

Thehippie

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I ended up letting a 5 gallon bucket get too full this spring and a bunch of tadpoles suddenly appeared in there! So I did the only humane thing and let them go in the fresh water creek by our house where they have 1/4 Sun and 3/4 shade and kept maybe 30 for myself to raise and release. Now keep in mind this was about 21 days ago here is our progress based on boiled lettuce, tadpole pellets and algae wafers

Day 1:

Day 21:

And now tell me you're seeing front legs!

So I ended up letting a 5 gallon bucket get too full this spring and a bunch of tadpoles suddenly appeared in there! So I did the only humane thing and let them go in the fresh water creek by our house where they have 1/4 Sun and 3/4 shade and kept maybe 30 for myself to raise and release. Now keep in mind this was about 21 days ago here is our progress based on boiled lettuce, tadpole pellets and algae wafers

Day 1:View attachment 235022

Day 21: View attachment 235023

And now tell me you're seeing front legs!View attachment 235024
Soooooo coooool!!! I’ve always wanted to raise tadpoles! Keep updating :D

You could look into giving them to local pet stores for store credit aswell!
I think I would rather most of them live in the wild but i'll probably give like 5 to my local mom and pops store and raise up 3 or 4 of my own to breed! all I have to do now is find out what kind of tadpole it is!!!

I now discovered a fully formed hopping frog in the tank, putting the ledge in on sunday!
he still has a little ways to go but he's making it out there! My early bloomer! he's the only one with 4 current working limbs as of today! Almost hopped right out of my hand!

I think I would rather most of them live in the wild but i'll probably give like 5 to my local mom and pops store and raise up 3 or 4 of my own to breed! all I have to do now is find out what kind of tadpole it is!!!

I work at a mom and pop pet store :)
To the best of my knowledge they’re american bullfrogs since they are wild caught but I could be wrong.

You know... I'm starting to wonder if I have different types of tadpoles?? One is significantly bigger and the one that has legs....

Good for you for doing this! Amphibians at large, have been on a steady decline so thank you for rearing and releasing them!

One of my fondest childhood memories was catching tadpoles and watching them morph to frogs/toads. Growing up in So Cal, most of what I caught were small tree frogs and Western toads. Although I was already an adult when I found out, it is not advised that bullfrog tadpoles (they're huge!) be released as they are not native but very invasive to the West.

So it's been a while since I've updated you on these little guys but this week the last of them turned into frogs and I plan to release them soon and start this cycle over again! Hopefully most of them love full happy lives and are able to hunt, breed and thrive! Here are some pics!

Back
Top Bottom