1 egg hatched what happen to the rest

SULEMA2221

i have about 25 eggs that was placed in the incubator like december 21 and on june 20 one baby veild hatched all eggs where doing fine except 2 to look like unfertile eggs then i looked at the eggs no i see 4 more eggs that are getting smaller and shivveld up so i cut the edge with a sissor and i see a babby chameleon still in fetal postion are eggs suppose to get smaller im going crazy

What happened with the ones you cut?
IMHO its best to let them hatch on their own. When they are getting ready to hatch they should sweat and then shrink smaller and then the baby should slit the end of the egg. It might not come out of the egg for a day or two because it will lay there absorbing the left over yolk before it comes out.

They don't all necessarily hatch the same day. It depends on how close they are together in some cases as well as the temperature variance in the incubation container.

understood but some of the eggs shrink to like a infertile egg size and my leo eggs dont get that small when they are about to hatch

understood but some of the eggs shrink to like a infertile egg size and my leo eggs dont get that small when they are about to hatch

Lance is right - patience!
leave them be. So long as the humidity and such is fine, and if they are healthy, they will hatch on their own in their own good time.
If they dont hatch, maybe they were not meant to live

I've had 5 weeks between a first hatcher and the last to hatch.

i understand patience but today i look again and their are 2 more eggs that got small so now i only have 15 that look good can it be movement of eggs to a different incubator that making the eggs sit in a different angle cause my eggs to be dieing i have one incubator that took a shit on a table and the new one sitting on the floor thats the only thing i did different

perhaps you can post a close up clear photo of a couple of the "small" eggs next to a penny (for reference). They do shrink before hatching, sometimes days before. Maybe this is normal size reduction you are worrying about?

the small eggs where the same size as the big ones just within 2 day they shrunk

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 178
is the substrate damp? wet? dry?
could you take another picture, but with something beside the eggs for size reference, like a penny?
I've heard of eggs swelling too large due to too much humidity, and this makes the shell difficult for the baby to slit when the time comes. Also inadequate humidity can make an egg shrink too much / dehydrate.

the substrate i use is supreme hatch material and its damp they are veiled chameleon eggs and the humidity gauge says 65 and i keep temp at 75 degrees

My suspicion is that conditions are a bit too dry. The only time I've observed something that looked somewhat like this was several years ago, when I was breeding Veiled. I had a large container housing a clutch of eggs (~50 or so) that hatched over a period of a few weeks. Normally the container was covered and only opened maybe every month or so. During hatching I was opening the container daily, and apparently more moisture escaped than I realized. Most of the clutch hatched without problems, but by the end of the hatching I had several young become trapped in shrunk, relatively dry egg shells, and perish. Sure enough, the incubation medium was, to the touch, much drier than normal, which I believe allowed drying of the eggs as the young were hatching, trapping them and leading to the demise of a few.

This may not be the problem in your case, but by the looks of those eggs I'm suspicious it could be. I might try carefully moistening the substrate a bit (e.g., misting it) to see if there is improvement.

cj
cj

i agree with cj, but i wouldnt mist them as i wouldnt like to get water on the egg surface, i use a pipette when i need to add water to my medium. if i see an egg denting i put a few drops around the egg but not on it, sometimes the dent pops out sometimes not. if the humidity is low then i add drops all over the medium but do it in small amounts so i dont get the humidity to high.

also are your temps spot on?

rob

its pretty moist but not over kill and temp is at 75 my incubator has a built in thermometer and i have 2 thermometer one in top of incubator and one at the bottom and they are like 1 degree apart

Back
Top Bottom