1.2 year old veild eyes shut

awesomesucram

these days are thrillingly hot,i had my aircon on and off for a few times in a day and my 1.2year old veild has its eyes shut and it has been laying in the same position for 1-2days. I dont think there are any problems with my lighting/setup as it went perfectly well for the past 11 months or so. I had it since it was a 3 month old and now its nearly fully grown.

What is wrong with it? Im really worried.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - male, translucent veild, How long has it been in your care? 11 months
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? not much 2-3 times a month
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? crickets What amount? id just drop 10-20 of them into the cage. What is the schedule? i refill when there is not much left. How are you gut-loading your feeders? sometimes carrots, cricket food,
Supplements - normal calcium, D2 twice a month
Watering - misting 3 times a day, there is a little fountain in the cage.
Fecal Description - normal. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? nope
History - n/a

Cage Info:

Cage Type - as in the pic
Lighting - as in the pic
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? It varies, much lower when the aircon is on.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? 50-80
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Not sure, but are non toxic
Placement - Where is your cage located? under the air con but not directly blown
Location - Where are you geographically located? Asia

Hi there,

very sorry to hear your fellow is not doing so well. From what I immediately can see:

lighting: it seems like you only have one light-bulb? can't see what kind it is from the photo? does it provide UVB? The pic of the sticker gives info about the light dome fixture, not about the light bulb itself as far as I can understand. you need to take out the bulb and make sure what kind it is - if he does not get UVB in his age, it is a problem, sunbathing him 2-3 times a weeks is simply not enough.

temps: could you be more specific about the temperatures? how much do they variate? how high is it normally in the basking spot? how low does it go with the aircon on?

supplements: no vitamins is not good, you are not gutloading his food particularly well, so he needs to get sufficient vitamin supplementation. E.g. vit. A is important for their health, as well as group B vit., deficiencies will accumulate over time and can manifest in different ways.

waterfall: in general it is strongly not advised to have one in your chams enclosure. Yes, they do help to keep humidity up, but they also provide a breeding ground for bacteria, unless cleaned regularly ans thoroughly. I does not look like a bacterial infection to me though, but then chams are very good at hiding things that are not well, and then all of a sudden collapsing over the course of a few days. I wouldn't risk and would remove the waterfall, going heavier on the misting instead.

Finally, the fact that everything has been fine for 11 month that you had him, unfortunately does not mean that smth isn't off in your setup. I am not saying this to upset you, but just to warn you that there might be subtle signs (or no signs at all for that matter) that you maybe haven't noticed, especially if this is your first chameleon. And don't get discouraged, it is great that you came to these forums, there is a lot of useful info here and plenty of people willing to help ;)

Please, try to answer the questions I have in my post, and don't hesitate to ask questions if in doubt.

Julija

Back
Top Bottom