zoomed powersun 100watt ?

flapjack

ok im getting ready to move my panther chameleon to a 48"/24" enclosure. for the basking bulb i am wanting to use the zoomed powersun 100watt. should i use any other uvb bulb?

That is a UVB bulb, mercury vapor bulb which I read somewhere on this forum that it shouldn't be used for Chams. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will answer.

I consider this light as a qualitative good combination between warmth and UVB. But you really have to make sure that your animal is not able to get too close to it because it get's very hot! Also the output is on the high side so it is really suitable for high enclosures. On the other hand, for my own animals I prefer to offer them the choice between basking or getting some UVB, so I use a Zoomed reptisun 5.0 tube light and a basking light. The animal get's to choose this way.

right now hes in a 18"/12"/30" and im using a reg 60 watt lamp for basking and a 18" reptisun 5.0 uvb. i was thinking do the same on the bigger cage just get just a 100 watt bask lamp and use the same uvb.

ok im getting ready to move my panther chameleon to a 48"/24" enclosure. for the basking bulb i am wanting to use the zoomed powersun 100watt. should i use any other uvb bulb?

A powersum will not do it, if you are choosing the 2 in 1 route like me, use a megaray.

I have tested with my lights (both 100w) with a UVB meter and a infra red heat gun at 12 inches away from main basking spot.

The Power sun measured at 35uw while the megaray mesured at 45uw

Thats not that bad for the powersun, where it lacks is how much heat it puts off.

The powersun measured in 73.4 F compared to 89 F for the megaray, this temperature was taken in the hottest spot.

So for you to get the heat you need from your powersun you will need to lower it too close and will send dangerous levels of UVB to your reptile.

Now these are MY LIGHTS, I dont know how consistent the readings would be from one batch to another. If you choose to go that way, BUY A METER and you will be fine and save a few bucks with time cause you can use the lights until they are really finished.

Sorry to hijack! but if iam placing my uv ontop (outside) of the mesh should i use a reptisun 5.0 or 10.0??

I used a Powersun for my free range and it worked great, but I would not use it on my screen cages. On the free range, the cham could move far from the bulb if he needed to cool down, because they really are very hot. I also had a reptisun 5.0 on his free range so he could receive UVB in two places - a cool area and a hot area. From my experience with the powersun, I think it may be too much for a screen cage that size. It was actually so hot that it overheated regularly and would turn on and off throughout the day.

Also, these bulbs put out much more UVB than a 5.0 tube - probably more UVB than your cham needs. I would have a meter on hand if you use it, so you know exactly where to place the bulb so that too much UVB isn't hitting your cham.

If you decide to try it out, I'd raise it off the screen a couple inches like someone already suggested. I would also place it in a corner of the cage, so your cham has plenty of area to cool off. I think if you place it correctly, it could work well. Just be cautious, and make sure you monitor the temp and the amount of UVB it's putting out.

A powersum will not do it, if you are choosing the 2 in 1 route like me, use a megaray.

I have tested with my lights (both 100w) with a UVB meter and a infra red heat gun at 12 inches away from main basking spot.

The Power sun measured at 35uw while the megaray mesured at 45uw

Thats not that bad for the powersun, where it lacks is how much heat it puts off.

The powersun measured in 73.4 F compared to 89 F for the megaray, this temperature was taken in the hottest spot.

So for you to get the heat you need from your powersun you will need to lower it too close and will send dangerous levels of UVB to your reptile.

Now these are MY LIGHTS, I dont know how consistent the readings would be from one batch to another. If you choose to go that way, BUY A METER and you will be fine and save a few bucks with time cause you can use the lights until they are really finished.

These numbers seem pretty weak, maybe your fixture is somewhat damaged.

When I was testing a 125w solarglo, I had to put it a minimum of 18" away from basking to reduce the UVB under 50.
The heat at that range was around 94*F

Just my observations.

Back
Top Bottom