Zippo the meller is a girl!

Jimturner

Established Member
I just came home to Zippo laying eggs! I didn't even see this coming! She's been in my care for about 18 months.... Got her as a young adult import, she hasn't been bred under my care, I doubt the eggs are fertile, but I'll incubate them anyway. I've placed her in a laying tub to finish. All seemed normal this morning... eating, basking, attitude... WOW, who knew? Cheers!

LOL, hey JIm, one down.....how many more to go for exact gender;):p:rolleyes::D

gotta love melleri:cool:

Congrats, now you have to see if any of the other show a manly interest in her. Wow c/b mellers in Canada? You could be a star. But to me you already are.

Thanks all! Now to nurse Zippo back to her old piggish self again, shouldn't be too hard, and introduce her to Pissy Pete.... I'm kinda sure he's male... maybe... LOL. I'll post the number of eggs once she's done and I dig them up. The few she dropped in her cage are definitely NOT fertile. Cheers!

Last edited:
How awesome!! :D:D

Yes, they will be infertile if she has not bred in your care (unless she was sneaking off with one of the others when you weren't looking ;)). Both of my females that have laid have done it so a-typically (i.e. not going off feed, dropping eggs in their food bucket instead of a laying bin, etc.) and had it not been for me seeing them breed, I would never have known they were coming. They didn't gain or lose weight and you couldn't tell the eggs were inside them the way you can tell with other species.

However, half of the battle is figuring out if you have a male or female. :rolleyes:;) If it wasn't for Magna Cham (my ever-willing-to-breed male) going down hill, I would offer to stud him out for you. :D

Back
Top Bottom