Zilla hood no good?

jenstar

So I was paroozing the forum and I came across a poster that had mentioned something about the zilla hood light being bad? I just bought a zilla hood which came with a tropical bulb. Wait I'll go see what the box says. OK, it says Reptile strip light, tropical fixture. Includes tropical 25 UVB T8 Fluorescent bulb. It is 24". I bought this cause I was using a compact bulb with a dome fixture and people said it is bad. I plan after 6 months to use the reptisun 5.0 in the zilla hood. It was hard to find this hood, do i really have to return it?

Thoughts?

So I was paroozing the forum and I came across a poster that had mentioned something about the zilla hood light being bad? I just bought a zilla hood which came with a tropical bulb. Wait I'll go see what the box says. OK, it says Reptile strip light, tropical fixture. Includes tropical 25 UVB T8 Fluorescent bulb. It is 24". I bought this cause I was using a compact bulb with a dome fixture and people said it is bad. I plan after 6 months to use the reptisun 5.0 in the zilla hood. It was hard to find this hood, do i really have to return it?

Thoughts?

The hood fixture itself should be completely fine as long as you have a LINEAR reptisun 5.0 bulb in it. Do not use the compacts.

I bought one exactly the same as yours and it started killing my babies because for some reason they started keeping their eyes closed. I switched to a reptisun and some got better and made it. I would take the junk back.

I bought one exactly the same as yours and it started killing my babies because for some reason they started keeping their eyes closed. I switched to a reptisun and some got better and made it. I would take the junk back.
so is it the hood or the bulb?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the fixture itself - and I doubt that the 5.0 linear bulb that's included with it is solely responsible for any problems with chams kept under it. If you're worried about it, keep the fixture but replace the bulb with a 5.0 reptisun.

I've used this fixture and I've sold it with many young veileds (work at a pet store), and I've never had nor heard of problems with it. Perhaps if you had a hatchling who couldn't get away from the light, or if the humidity was low, it might appear that the light was causing problems.

Just my experience. Not to discredit anyone else's.

Thoughts?
Howdy,

The hood is not the cause for the major issues with the Zilla UVB product line. Post a link to your model so that we can see which one it is for reference. The real issue is the Zilla UVB fluorescent phosphor formula. In the past, there have been serious problems with their phosphor's spectral content. The spectrum produced by their Desert 50 and tropical 25 linear fluorescent tubes dipped down into the portion of the spectrum that is dangerous (heading towards UVC :eek:). The results were pretty tragic; tissue damage all the way to death from UVB burns. A looooong story short, those original products were mostly pulled from the marketplace (but not all were returned) and the manufacturer reformulated the phosphor with the aim to produce a safe and effective product. The final results of testing have not yet been fully published yet and I am wary of suggesting that they are safe and effective at this time.

My original posts on the subject seem to have "aged-out" of the standard search. You might find them in the archive section.

Here's one that is still in the regular search:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/2-5-month-old-nosy-panther-not-eaing-sleeping-alot-6327/#post44719

Back
Top Bottom