ZigZag's on Spine!

ChameleonMom

I noticed awhile ago that my 4 year old veiled's spine 'spikes' near the tail have started to shrink, or cramp....or? I'm not really certain what is going on with this - it doesn't seem to bother him, he's healthy in every way and I am just curious why his spine is doing this? Is it normal and I just haven't noticed it in other chams before?

Edit: 'healthy in every way' means his medical issues are recognized and under control, these zigzags are not new, I became aware of their development about 8 - 12 months ago, but he's been doing great and is happy and, my vet says 'healthy for his age'!

Can anyone can tell me what is causing this?
Thanks,

image.jpg

Last edited:
wow that is weird looking. I don't think I have ever seen that before. Hopefully someone else on here has experienced the same or similar and can shed some light on it for you.

wow that is weird looking. I don't think I have ever seen that before. Hopefully someone else on here has experienced the same or similar and can shed some light on it for you.

You know, I was just checking out some members photo's and didn't see it on any other Cham on the forum. Then I thought perhaps it was an 'age' thing as Camo is 4...and getting up there - but again, I didn't find evidence in any other cham. Now I'm concerned! :eek:

My first veiled Dagain got a wiggly spikes as he got to be around 4 years old .. not exactly zig zag like that. Now hie son Daigan Jr has a slightly curvy spikes. I was thinking it was genetic..? Not sure though

The skin "spines", which are just specially formed single scales, aren't formed by the bones. I don't think the bones cause the problem in your chameleon, cause a scoliosis shaped like this would probably lead to problems using the tail (and you say he hasn't any). I remember another chameleon with similar scale deformity, he had old scars around the back scales, which pulled the skin to both sides and formed an area of odd looking spine in the end. Are there some old sheds left on the scales or anything else that could do similar to your chameleon? Is there a colourchange (I can't recognize on the picture)?

Shrinking is something humans do, but chameleons grow their whole life, they don't shrink (and if, it wouldn't be only one particular zone of the skin). And four years isn't an old age for a Chamaelo calpytratus.

Last edited:
The only thing I can surmise is that for some reason some "mass" has been lessened in the area, maybe fat, muscle, or bone/cartilage. This lack of mass makes the skin scrunch up and the spikes to zig zag. Kinda like a deflated balloon?

The only thing I can surmise is that for some reason some "mass" has been lessened in the area, maybe fat, muscle, or bone/cartilage. This lack of mass makes the skin scrunch up and the spikes to zig zag. Kinda like a deflated balloon?

It does appear his tail has some excess skin where the tail is zigzagging, but I weigh him once a week and he's maintaining his weight at 228g, unless he is losing weight in the tail and putting it somewhere else! My vet did say he was a bit overweight based on his tail size - I wonder if perhaps a weight GAIN could have caused the 'puckering'?

Alexl, I do observe him using his tail so he hasn't lost use of it, his color is good and generally uniform throughout his body. He also doesn't have any old shed that is clinging to the tail. I appreciate the suggested reasoning, but it doesn't appear to be the cause of the 'puckering'.

Anyone else care to hazard a guess? :(

Back
Top Bottom