Yuki the Veiled & Marimo the Ellioti

Ferrah88

For those of you who don't know, I rescued Yuki from a petstore nearby at the beginning of the year. The petstore has since listened to my words, and their chameleons are a LOT better cared for now! No more bugs the size of the chameleon itself... they also only sell the older ones, not babies anymore. Apparently, most of the little ones ended up dying...

Anyways, here's what she looked like the day I brought her home:
1kao5.jpg

Nowadays she's doing a LOT better. If I hadn't been with her this whole time, I would have thought she wasn't the same chameleon:
2r5g660.jpg

I am so proud of her for pulling though. She went from skin and bones to a fat little veiled :D She now hand feeds and I always see her drinking. She doesn't like being handled much, but she does tolerate my hand while feeding. (She does mistake my finger for food when I attempt to remove her for cage-cleaning. She has chomped down on my finger a few times, looking up at me afterwards as if to say "food now?" It's so adorable I could never be angry with her!) She has quite the character now, and was outside in the sun on the weekend. Unfortunately, there were a few buds on the tree and hardly any leaves, so she didn't enjoy it all that much. Hopefully next month will be better month!

And last but not least, our favourite little ellioti! I caught him climbing upside down in his cage again, so he's a bit embarrassed ;) (I always let him climb down on my hand, and never forcefully remove him. Would hate to have him lose some claws...)
30auj39.jpg

Unfortunately this image doesn't capture the blues he was showing under his chin and along his belly very well. Nor the oranges he was showing on his sides. His colours really are beautiful :) I also heard word that the rest of his siblings have died... one after the other they kept dying, so he is the only one of that clutch left. He looks completely healthy though, so I don't believe I am worried he will drop dead at all!

Come summer I should have some better pictures of them outside :D Of course, not together. Yuki already expressed interest in eating Marimo when she saw him the other day...

Those are some lovely chams! And very very well done to you for rescuing Yuki and making her so healthy! Great job :)

Those are some lovely chams! And very very well done to you for rescuing Yuki and making her so healthy! Great job :)

Thank you! :D She's improved so much and eats a load too. Today I caught her, sitting there with her mouth open. I thought it was because she was too warm or something... but she knows I check the temp when she's opening her mouth... and I sometimes give her a mealworm treat if she didn't hiss at me (Which she has been doing less recently!). Turns out she was faking it seeing as as soon as I came close with the gauge, she shot her tongue at my finger! Chameleons :rolleyes: too smart for their own good!

What a great ending to what could have been a very sad story......my thanks and applause to you for the work you did with her and the pet store....I wish more pet stores would listen to the more experienced cham keepers and change their polices.

What a great ending to what could have been a very sad story......my thanks and applause to you for the work you did with her and the pet store....I wish more pet stores would listen to the more experienced cham keepers and change their polices.

Thank you :)

We are blessed with understanding petstores around here it seems! The other one we regularly go will put tortoises back on their feet, rescue trapped scorpions and the like when we notice them. One of their chams also looked like it was developing MBD (They hadn't had it for long, so it was probably from earlier as I do notice them dusting their food) and I notified one of the workers. She went and immediately phoned their reptile expert (She doesn't work Saturdays) and let her know. They brought the cham to the vet on the immediate Monday :) It really makes me happy when stores listen to others. I may not be experienced enough to call myself experienced yet, but I do know a bit thanks to the forums here!!

In the end I have all of you to thank for teaching me what's right and wrong when it comes to chameleon care which ultimately helped these petstores change their ways for the better!

Back
Top Bottom