Your Response Requested - Panther Chameleon Longevity Survey

Connorology

Avid Member
Good Afternoon Everyone,

I am a veterinarian and a chameleon keeper who has been a forum member for a few years now. I have created a survey designed to identify and quantify husbandry strategies that are associated with longer lived panther chameleons. The goal will be to identify these strategies and then share them with other keepers - if I get a sufficient number of responses to run a statistical analysis I will and I may consider publishing the results in a vet journal; if not I'll provide the results as unpublished data so we can all review it anyway (incidentally, if anyone is a statistician and wants to partner on this go ahead and DM me).

If you have kept one or more panther chameleons to the end of their life, I would greatly appreciate you responding to the survey here. If you have any questions feel free to post them below or DM me.

Link to the survey

Thank you!

-Connor Long

I'm going to bump this up again. Not getting any responses yet, any suggestions on how to increase turnout? I could cross-post to other internet communities with chameleon keepers (I'm not very Facebook savvy so if there are big groups there I'd appreciate any suggestions).

I also could do a raffle or something, I have a lot of rare/uncommon vivarium plants.

Apparently, you cannot leave the field blank

1668370520157.png

I'm going to bump this up again. Not getting any responses yet, any suggestions on how to increase turnout? I could cross-post to other internet communities with chameleon keepers (I'm not very Facebook savvy so if there are big groups there I'd appreciate any suggestions).

I also could do a raffle or something, I have a lot of rare/uncommon vivarium plants.
I think a lot of us are too new to chameleons to be of any help.

U might be able to get some usable data by scrolling the old archived post about the panther chams that have passed, it could help give a basic range on age after weeding out sickness ect... if u go on google and type in preferred keyword "panther cham passed away" with ChameleonForum after...it will show all the post from like 2013 to now...

I’d love to help but my guys are still patrolling their trees at 6 yo. Is it helpful to have ages of older, but still living specimen?

I’d love to help but my guys are still patrolling their trees at 6 yo. Is it helpful to have ages of older, but still living specimen?
Let me check and see how the settings work, it may be worthwhile to open it up to folks who have living panther chameleons over the age of 6 as they have by definition already exceeded that benchmark (I fall into that category myself)

Connor I can not help but let me tag Bill and see if he can get more exposure for you to get a bigger pool of responses for your study.

@DeremensisBlue would you be willing to share this survey in your group or with Panther keepers you know?
Thanks that's a good suggestion. I think the next step here is to try and expand beyond the forums to bring in additional respondents

U might be able to get some usable data by scrolling the old archived post about the panther chams that have passed, it could help give a basic range on age after weeding out sickness ect... if u go on google and type in preferred keyword "panther cham passed away" with ChameleonForum after...it will show all the post from like 2013 to now...
It's a good thought; I do need the information to be consistent between groups in order to be comparable (the main goal will be seeing what techniques are consistent among 6+ year old animals, and what separates those animals from those that did not live to be 6yo).

There is likely a way to get some of that information from the keeper experience logs that exist on the forum already, and if set up to intentionally generate quantifiable date this site could probably generate journal quality publishable data on chameleon husbandry. Definitely something to consider - it would be a massive undertaking and require basically all staff and users to be on board, so it is out of scope of what I'm currently doing. Interesting thought for a future project or projects though!

I just gotmy first panther. Female rescue Seven months to a year old. I have heard they life span is very short onky two years. We shall see!

I just gotmy first panther. Female rescue Seven months to a year old. I have heard they life span is very short onky two years. We shall see!
I have to believe that number is incorrect. Keep an eye on basking temps and how much you feed her (similar to a female veiled) and hopefully you’ll have many happy years admiring her.

Back
Top Bottom